TV Home Forum

Britain's Got Talent 2020 Set Design- Discussion

(July 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
P1
p1k11
I've been constantly unimpressed with Britain's Got Talent's lack of effort when it comes to production design and staging. Compared to most other 'Got Talent' formats, it lacks colour and presence on stage. The colours are so unsuitable for TV and look super washed. A comparison to AGT below.
TV
iloveTV1
Are you complaining about the design, or what’s projected onto the screen?
BR
Brekkie
The audition set is nothing remarkable but serves its purpose well. Also they've pushed the live show sets far more than their main competitors, changing them far more often. I don't think they've ever had the same set more than three years running.
Last edited by Brekkie on 26 July 2020 5:35pm
XQD, Universal_r and DeMarkay gave kudos
SC
Score
The audition set is nothing remarkable but erves its purpose well. Also they've pushed the live show sets far more than their main competitors, changing them far more often. I don't think they've ever had the same set more than three years running.

I agree with this, the live show sets have been really impressive and particularly the past two years at the Apollo have looked superb. They’ve pushed forwards whereas some other shows have stagnated.

I do think it would be nice to change the audition backdrop a bit. There’s nothing wrong with it but it’s been pretty much the same since 2014, with only small tweaks to the colour scheme. There’s only so much they can do with the audition set but something like that AGT backdrop (with the BGT logo) would be a nice change.

Curious to see what this year’s live show set ends up looking like with social distancing and either a smaller or no audience. And where it’s held for that matter, will they stick with the Apollo or move elsewhere? Not sure how flexible the seating is at the Apollo and whether they’d be able to remove the seats and put tables in or not.
BR
Brekkie
Have theatres been given a reopening date for performances yet? I imagine the Apollo would be keen to have them as it'll be a block booking for the theatre and not reliant on ticket sales, although I suspect it may relocate to a studio, probably LH2. Last years Celeb X Factor set actually had the audience around tables so reworking that might serve the purpose.
JO
Jonwo
Have theatres been given a reopening date for performances yet? I imagine the Apollo would be keen to have them as it'll be a block booking for the theatre and not reliant on ticket sales, although I suspect it may relocate to a studio, probably LH2. Last years Celeb X Factor set actually had the audience around tables so reworking that might serve the purpose.

It's meant to be 1st August for indoor venues with social distancing but that subject to the pilots they're conducting. I would imagine they'd use LH2 for BGT because that the venue they used last year.
UB
UBox

That could definitely be an option. Worth noting the Apollo can have the seating removed and could have tables put in (as seen here: https://www.eventimapollo.com/venuehire-1/corporatehire) so they could do something like the XFactor did but still at the Apollo. Might be a nice way for ITV to support the theatres too.
TG
TG
Score posted:
Not sure how flexible the seating is at the Apollo and whether they’d be able to remove the seats and put tables in or not.

The seating is fully removable downstairs - have been in a standing audience there for Eurovision: You Decide 2017 (I think!) so some other form of spaced out audience would technically be possible.
SC
Score
Thanks for the replies about the Apollo. Based on that I think they should look to still stage it at the Apollo if at all possible. Partially because even with a smaller capacity, they’d be able to get more people into the Apollo whilst social distancing than they would at LH2, but also there’s more space for the acts and I think BGT just works better in a theatre. Tables would work well I think, probably the best way of having the largest possible audience whilst social distancing.

Plus as others have said it would be a show of support for the theatre industry and the Apollo would surely be glad to have them. They’ve already lost Live at The Apollo this year.

The only scenario in which they should maybe use LH2 is if they can’t have any kind of audience at all, as in that instance an empty theatre wouldn’t be great. Or I guess if the show possibly being weekly means they can’t use the Apollo, but given that I can’t imagine there are going to be many, if any, theatre productions this Autumn, that shouldn’t be an obstacle.
BR
Brekkie
Talking of the Apollo the BBC have already cancelled filming Live at the Apollo for this year.

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2020/07/20/46544/live_at_the_apollo_put_on_hold

I think most touring shows and performers have just had to write this year off too sadly, but I'd have thought stand up gigs would be the first to get going as they don't have the singing issue and generally just one person on stage, so far fewer social distancing issues too. Obviously still the revenue issues.
Last edited by Brekkie on 26 July 2020 8:32pm
UB
UBox
Score posted:
Thanks for the replies about the Apollo. Based on that I think they should look to still stage it at the Apollo if at all possible. Partially because even with a smaller capacity, they’d be able to get more people into the Apollo whilst social distancing than they would at LH2, but also there’s more space for the acts and I think BGT just works better in a theatre. Tables would work well I think, probably the best way of having the largest possible audience whilst social distancing.

They could potentially go down the route they did for BGT Champions and have the families in Eurovision style sofas as support. Would work well for keeping households socially distanced and adds some audience/family reaction you don't normally get during the live shows.
DM
DeMarkay
I've been to The Global Awards and was standing by the stage, with some other students from The Global Academy, and the seating is fully removable downstairs.

Extra staging can be placed and allows for up to 10 - 15 round tables.

Newer posts