The Newsroom

Coronavirus | Television News Coverage

(February 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NE
News96
And in another unfortunate moment, The boss of the department who announced the quarantine (i.e Grant Shapps) is also on Holiday in Spain-as if our handling of the pandemic can't get anymore farcical!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53543198
JW
JamesWorldNews
I don’t see the problem with that, actually. He was on holiday in Spain as were countless thousands of other Britons. To single-out Schapps is a bit unfair. He was only doing what everyone else was doing.

It’s not like he was breaking a law. Granted, he didn’t follow the “staycation” recommendation of his own government, but that same government also encouraged people to travel and support the aviation industry.

I guess the farcical part is actually the mixed messaging from the Government as opposed to the Minister being on a foreign holiday.
BF
BFGArmy
I don’t see the problem with that, actually. He was on holiday in Spain as were countless thousands of other Britons. To single-out Schapps is a bit unfair. He was only doing what everyone else was doing.

It’s not like he was breaking a law. Granted, he didn’t follow the “staycation” recommendation of his own government, but that same government also encouraged people to travel and support the aviation industry.

I guess the farcical part is actually the mixed messaging from the Government as opposed to the Minister being on a foreign holiday.

Inded it's more the optics aren't great rather than any rule actually being broken.
However, one takeaway from the pandemic is that all trips outside of any kind must be run by the Twitterati before taking place. Even those who follow the rules seem to be hounded/criticised on Twitter even if what they're doing is allowed and totally reasonable. Even by Twitter standards, the sneering has been off the charts in recent weeks.
AN
Andrew Founding member
It’s a fine line between health and the economy that is impossible to balance. It doesn’t help that the media flip flops being one and the other one daily basis so whatever they do is wrong

It’s also a fine line between bringing something in in a few weeks and bringing it in now, which is also something that never pleases people which ever they choice. Allowing Shapps to finish his own two week holiday before bringing it in would have caused many more complaints
JO
Jonwo
Twitter is full of people you would actively avoid in real life!
MA
Markymark

It’s a fine line between health and the economy that is impossible to balance. It doesn’t help that the media flip flops being one and the other one daily basis so whatever they do is wrong

It’s also a fine line between bringing something in in a few weeks and bringing it in now, which is also something that never pleases people which ever they choice. Allowing Shapps to finish his own two week holiday before bringing it in would have caused many more complaints

Indeed, it would be like the Cummings saga all over again.

In fact here's a perfect opportunity for Shapps to 'lead by example' when he returns, and I'm sure the meeja will be giving him 24/7 surveillance to ensure he does though.
TG
TG
The point, I'd say, isn't at all that the man is on holiday - more that he could so easily just sidestep the quarantine rules. So yes, it'll be interesting to see if the media do indeed keep a close eye to ensure he isn't conveniently going where he pleases upon his return. Same rules for all of us, and all that.
JF
JF World News
Points West had report filled by one of their correspondents on holiday in Spain
ST
Stuart
You can't help but like Martine Croxall. She never misses the opportunity for a lovely barbed comment . . .

EDITED to correct my bad! Rolling Eyes
Last edited by Stuart on 27 July 2020 8:44am
ST
Stuart
I meant Martine Croxall, of course (not Maxine). I have corrected the OP.
Last edited by Stuart on 27 July 2020 8:48am
JW
JamesWorldNews
Maryam Moshiri is presenting the World News this morning. Notably, there’s a special report filed by Carrie Gracie in which she has an exclusive dialogue with a Chinese epidemiologist who openly discusses a cover-up of the presence of the virus in the early stages.

Donald will now be a Carrie Fan!

Also, World News is reporting that Donald Trump is pulling out of certain public engagements later this and next month citing his spokesperson: “the President is too busy working on coronavirus and vaccination”.

He’s specifically too busy to make the traditional presidential throw at an upcoming baseball match as he’s “focussed on working on the Covid vaccine”.

Their words. Not mine.
JF
JF World News
Maryam Moshiri is presenting the World News this morning. Notably, there’s a special report filed by Carrie Gracie in which she has an exclusive dialogue with a Chinese epidemiologist who openly discusses a cover-up of the presence of the virus in the early stages.

Donald will now be a Carrie Fan!

Also, World News is reporting that Donald Trump is pulling out of certain public engagements later this and next month citing his spokesperson: “the President is too busy working on coronavirus and vaccination”.

He’s specifically too busy to make the traditional presidential throw at an upcoming baseball match as he’s “focussed on working on the Covid vaccine”.

Their words. Not mine.

Also she's presenting Panorama this week on the same subject,

Newer posts