TV Home Forum

UKTV Presentation

Bits and Pieces (April 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
I always find the fact its original airing was after the queen's speech to be quite odd. You'd think such a high budget, ambitious episode would have gone out in prime time, not flung out in the afternoon (and against Coronation Street to boot). The first part the previous day had gone out in the evening.

Going out after The Queen's Speech would give it a huge inheritance wouldn't it? Prime time hours aren't the same as normal weekdays during holiday periods.
PA
paul_hadley
BritBox on YouTube have a clip of A Royal Flush without the laughter track. I wonder if they air that version on their service?

JA
james-2001
Is that BritBox UK or US?
Last edited by james-2001 on 23 July 2020 11:48pm
PA
paul_hadley
It would appear to be US.
IS
Inspector Sands

Going out after The Queen's Speech would give it a huge inheritance wouldn't it? Prime time hours aren't the same as normal weekdays during holiday periods.

I'm disappointed in you Noggin... It's the Queen's Christmas Message, not speech Rolling Eyes
GE
thegeek Founding member

I'm disappointed in you Noggin... It's the Queen's Christmas Message, not speech Rolling Eyes

He's by no means the only offender on that front in this thread!
AN
another_beauty
BritBox on YouTube have a clip of A Royal Flush without the laughter track. I wonder if they air that version on their service?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p97RYfZqAXs

The US DVD uses the old 1986 edit.
BA
bilky asko

He's by no means the only offender on that front in this thread!

Interestingly, the royal.uk website calls it the "Christmas Broadcast". Looking at Wikipedia, it would have you believe it's formally "Her Majesty’s Most Gracious Speech", but I wonder if someone at some point has confused the Christmas Broadcast with the one in Parliament, which is formally "Her Majesty’s Most Gracious Speech".
JA
JAS84
That's got a citation on it - you can blame the Daily Telegraph.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/0/queens-christmas-message-30-things-didnt-know-majestys-annual/
KE
kez19
Just a minor The Bill related question: I noticed in one of the episodes in Series 6 I think its 60? .... the cast did (what I would say was a car chase), are things set up and public involved?, looks more like in the 80s people are more caught off guard than realising whats going on(?), there was a scene where the chase was going up an estate, then on main roads involving traffic including buses.

It reminds me when I watched The Interceptor when it was repeated on Challenge where in one episode I would describe reckless driving and again to an extent public look more unaware of whats going on/accidents bound to happen..

I just thought to ask as its one of these things that you watch a programme like this (its bound to be staged/public aware but looks more the opposite), I would guess its more health and safety are involved now than it did back in the 80s? Any ideas? Also on a related note todays episode sounded more "stereo" than mono (well to me anyway lol)
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
All of television is a lie, said somebody somewhere. Interceptor was far more scripted and planned than it might otherwise appear.

With regards to the car chase, it'll be almost without a doubt all planned out and probably done in chunks on different days and stuck together in the editing suite, and almost certainly involved closed roads and the (real) police notified about what's going on to do it all safely.

Magic of television (and film). For example the hearse chase in the first Johnny English film is presented as one area on camera but that geography doesn't exist in reality, the chase was actually filmed in two or three different areas of London.
PA
paul_hadley
Not really presentation related and I know it’s been mentioned in the past but the number of out of place programmes appearing across UKTV at the moment seems to be peaking.

I wonder if they are struggling to fill all of these channels or are they just trying to push these on to Freeview?

I’m finding myself watching Keeping Up Appearances on Drama and there’s comedy cropping up on Yesterday. None of this really fits...

Newer posts