The Newsroom

BBC NEWS CUTS

Cuts reactivated - P43 onwards (January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CM
cmthwtv
The current World shifts to my knowledge are 5am-10am, 12-4pm, 4-8pm, 8-10pm (Outside Source), 10pm-1am and 1-5am.

So by broadcasting the NC 10am - 12pm then, World is saving on one presenting shift between 5am and 8pm. Whilst this might have worked during the height of the Covid crisis when there was only one news story, it's hardly appropriate in the long term. It's very sad that the cuts have to be this drastic that the quality of broadcast news output on either the NC or World or both will be noticeably compromised.

I must say, however, unless of course somebody with information to say otherwise, the press release does not confirm the actual times of simulcast. It says something along the lines of "the two channels will continue to remain separate - but will continue to join in the mornings and evenings".

By "mornings" they could possibly mean 00:00-06:00, however this is probably not the case.
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
The current World shifts to my knowledge are 5am-10am, 12-4pm, 4-8pm, 8-10pm (Outside Source), 10pm-1am and 1-5am.

So by broadcasting the NC 10am - 12pm then, World is saving on one presenting shift between 5am and 8pm. Whilst this might have worked during the height of the Covid crisis when there was only one news story, it's hardly appropriate in the long term. It's very sad that the cuts have to be this drastic that the quality of broadcast news output on either the NC or World or both will be noticeably compromised.

I must say, however, unless of course somebody with information to say otherwise, the press release does not confirm the actual times of simulcast. It says something along the lines of "the two channels will continue to remain separate - but will continue to join in the mornings and evenings".

By "mornings" they could possibly mean 00:00-06:00, however this is probably not the case.

Used to simulcast 8:30-9:00 UK time for Business Live / Work life as well so that could return though unlikely with the cuts
IN
Independent
Whilst I can understand the World/NC simulcasts continuing in the evenings after 7pm, the morning simulcasts continuing make no sense to me, esp as it's only for 2-3 hours. If there's a big breaking UK news story or press conference/political speech that the NC needs to carry in the morning, it's not exactly appropriate for World viewers to get this broadcast in it's entirety as well is it?

It probably wouldn't be appropriate but they probably won't hesitate in simulcasting the UK channel from 9 am to 11 am. As I mentioned earlier, World decided a few years ago the 9 am hour viewership is so low they just reduced the 30 minute bulletin to 5 minutes and just have weekend filler for the rest of the hour. I'm going assume 10 am probably has a slight increase. But in the past IIRC they would have WBR and Sport Today during the back half-hour. But they also dropped those a few years ago for weekend filler.
LE
lesmauresfr
Anyone else rather hoping that Outside Source will be cut? It needs to go, sorry.
Bob, itsrobert and Brekkie gave kudos
HB
HarryB
Anyone else rather hoping that Outside Source will be cut? It needs to go, sorry.

I agree, the idea worked and was good when it started but now it seems so gimmicky and put on. Hardly ever any actually OS on the show so why call it that.
Newsroom and lesmauresfr gave kudos
NE
News96
And not only that it doesn't exactly work without the screens does it? What ever does replace it (if it goes) it needs to be News Channel led rather than World (even if still simulcasting) led as Weekday Evenings seem to have become.
NE
Newsroom

I agree, the idea worked and was good when it started but now it seems so gimmicky and put on. Hardly ever any actually OS on the show so why call it that.

Yes Harry, the minute it hit the airwaves. The most hideous hours of BBC News in the current schedule. Never liked it.
itsrobert and lesmauresfr gave kudos
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Outside Source always strikes me as typical of the self-obsession that the media has with itself. The gimmicky screens add nothing to the output (and in some ways detract from it) and the name of the show will be totally lost on about 99.9% of the world's population. It would probably come as a surprise to some in the media that "outside source" means absolutely nothing to most people. Personally speaking, I think the whole idea was just to show off their new headquarters from the balcony. Even the title sequence confirms that.
:-(
A former member
Outside Source always strikes me as typical of the self-obsession that the media has with itself. The gimmicky screens add nothing to the output (and in some ways detract from it) and the name of the show will be totally lost on about 99.9% of the world's population. It would probably come as a surprise to some in the media that "outside source" means absolutely nothing to most people. Personally speaking, I think the whole idea was just to show off their new headquarters from the balcony. Even the title sequence confirms that.

I feel like I’m not a part of the group who it’s for. See also Beyond 100 Days. They’re both aimed at and watched by somebody, but I don’t know who.
chevron, Meridian AM and JamesWorldNews gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Outside Source is the sort of show that would work well in conjunction with regular bulletins as the back half hour filler but doesn't work so well as the bulletin itself.

I think as talked about a couple of weeks back reworking Beyond 100 Days and OutsideSource into a new evening programme designed to be simulcast would be the best thing to do.
AndrewPSSP and JamesWorldNews gave kudos
JO
johnnyboy Founding member
"outside source"

Churnalism, as long as it's verified by at least two "outside sources", of course.
RN
Rolling News

It should be renamed ‘Outdated Source’.

Newer posts