TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GE
thegeek Founding member
I would think that having spent the last month showing football pretty much every day, Sky and BT might like to have a bit of a break for one day.

Well yes, it would be nice to have a quiet day, but someone's got to cover the constantly happening football - massively mattering to someone, presumably.
ethanh05, UKnews and Steve Williams gave kudos
ET
ethanh05
I would think that having spent the last month showing football pretty much every day, Sky and BT might like to have a bit of a break for one day.

Well yes, it would be nice to have a quiet day, but someone's got to cover the constantly happening football - massively mattering to someone, presumably.

Watch the football, all the football, never-ending football...
commseng and Brekkie gave kudos
HA
harshy Founding member
I got to admit I didn’t like written for the stars it used to give me a right headache during half time analysis (must have been 2004-05), I remember img in the same period having some rave music I think the lyrics were are you ready it was insane lol but fantastic for the audio system.
LU
Luke

To be fair to Sky they've always carved out their own team too - can't really think of any obvious poaches from the terrestrials over the years presenter wise at least, unlike BT who very much went for familar free to air faces.

The last really big name Sky poached from a channel would probably have been Alan Parry who was a familiar voice on ITV when he joined, and that was back in 1996. As you say, since then they've usually tried to cultivate their own faces and voices, and presumably it helps that they have Sky Sports News which obviously requires umpteen presenters a day and gives them the opportunity to train new people up in a very effective fashion.

i'd say Ian Payne from 5Live in 2003 was a big deal. He was signed up as Richard Keys' number 2 and was 5Live's main weekday sports presenter. I think they decided to go down the Sky Sports News route (Ed Chamberlain, Dave Jones etc) when they wanted to make pundits such as Neville and Carragher the star - rather than the presenter - and rebuild things after it was clear Keys and Gray wielded too much power.
ST
steveboswell
Given football is an absolute barren land next Saturday does anyone know why BT or Sky haven't rang up the national league and asked for the North and South division play-offs? With no championship and no premier league, surely it'd be a good opportunity to showcase lower leagues?

The usual rules of effort vs reward still apply, whether it's a quiet weekend or not. Even single-camera coverage still requires significant staffing and equipment considerations, which is why they effectively sub-leased the coverage to Sportradar.
VA
valley
Given football is an absolute barren land next Saturday does anyone know why BT or Sky haven't rang up the national league and asked for the North and South division play-offs? With no championship and no premier league, surely it'd be a good opportunity to showcase lower leagues?

The usual rules of effort vs reward still apply, whether it's a quiet weekend or not. Even single-camera coverage still requires significant staffing and equipment considerations, which is why they effectively sub-leased the coverage to Sportradar.

Yeah, definitely.
Not strictly relevant to the National League since BT have the rights, Sky are actually quite keen on using the break to do gallery upgrades and to move the match cut booths & extra replay areas out of Studio 4 and 5...
BR
Brekkie
Will be interesting to see how having all games available for the last few rounds has affected viewing habits. I've a theory that the more matches televised, the more selective viewers are in choosing what matches they want to watch, and I suspect as a result a match featuring teams making up the numbers in the middle of the table during the last few weeks may have had far less appeal to the casual audience than in uusal circumstances.
CO
cobbles
I got to admit I didn’t like written for the stars it used to give me a right headache during half time analysis (must have been 2004-05), I remember img in the same period having some rave music I think the lyrics were are you ready it was insane lol but fantastic for the audio system.

It wouldn't have been 2004. The song came out in 2010
HA
harshy Founding member

It wouldn't have been 2004. The song came out in 2010

I meant IMGs rave music from 2004. If anyone knows what it is please let me know, the lyrics where ‘Are you Ready’
SW
Steve Williams
Luke posted:
i'd say Ian Payne from 5Live in 2003 was a big deal. He was signed up as Richard Keys' number 2 and was 5Live's main weekday sports presenter. I think they decided to go down the Sky Sports News route (Ed Chamberlain, Dave Jones etc) when they wanted to make pundits such as Neville and Carragher the star - rather than the presenter - and rebuild things after it was clear Keys and Gray wielded too much power.

The arrival of Ian Payne was quite interesting, he arrived when Sky got the rights to the Champions League and he did Saturday and Monday matches so Richard Keys wouldn't be on five days running. But Payne didn't have much in the way of TV experience - up until then he'd only done the sport on News 24 - so he seemed a bit ill-at-ease at it, and never really managed to really relax in front of the camera. Then unfortunately for him, in 2005 Jeff Stelling was about to be poached by ITV - he'd got as far as handing in his notice - and to keep hold of him they offered him the job of presenting Premier League matches. That meant he took on Payne's job, and Payne was moved down to do the Cups alone (though he did do the Cup Final in 2006) before being pretty much confined to Sky Sports News. He stayed with Sky until about 2010, so he had a decent run there, but it was a bit of a shame he gave up the radio, where he was excellent, to become a bit of a spare part on TV.

As you say, by the time Keys had to, er, go away he was as prominent on Sky as he'd ever been - he was sometimes presenting five days a week, with Premier League matches on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, and the Champions League on Tuesday and Wednesday. I always remember Des Lynam saying he was never much of a fan of Keys' presentation style, saying he always felt he came across like a man who knew something that he wasn't going to tell you.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Back to Tokyo 2020(1), Standby for the C word. I suspect this is the first of many such messages to come through. A decision will come sooner rather than later on this. Expect major knock-ons with other 2021 events too.

TI
TIGHazard
Back to Tokyo 2020(1), Standby for the C word. I suspect this is the first of many such messages to come through. A decision will come sooner rather than later on this. Expect major knock-ons with other 2021 events too.

Oof. I feel bad for Eurosport in this situation.

Newer posts