TV Home Forum

MTV UK to close 3 music channels

KE
kez19 North Reporting Scotland
The closure of the +1 channels will save a bit of transponder space, transponders that are leased from SES (Astra) which costs money. The removal of HD channels that's been happening lately also save space.

Sky in Germany has been doing a similar thing: https://rethinkresearch.biz/articles/sky-deutschland-signs-dth-death-sentence-with-channel-cull/

Sky is focusing on-demand content more and more as OTT doesn't have the usual transmission cost overheads, this includes streaming linear channels. They're gradually moving towards where Sky without a dish will probably be the only option.

On a quick count, Sky has around 70 +1 timeshift channels, Virgin has around 45.

https://rxtvinfo.com/sky-channel-list-uk
https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/documents/Redwood/ChannelGuide_1_July_2020.pdf

What happens with the empty spaces will they be used again (for other channels if they do launch which probably won't be) or does it go back towards bandwidth for on demand (I have no clue in this part), i'm always familar with channels closing/launching but with the closures its going to leave holes but on the other maybe more of an alignment?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today
kez19 posted:
What happens with the empty spaces will they be used again (for other channels if they do launch which probably won't be) or does it go back towards bandwidth for on demand (I have no clue in this part), i'm always familar with channels closing/launching but with the closures its going to leave holes but on the other maybe more of an alignment?

Other channels will usually fill the transponder space up given enough time.

On demand is usually down your internet connection (with the exception of Sky pushed stuff, ie the "Showcase"/highlights and updates to Sky boxes, which do come via the satellite).
kez19 and RegularCapital gave kudos
NI
Nicks82 New member Meridian (South) South Today
It's a shame that they can't add vh1 and vh1 classic the (European versions) to have available in the UK. They both serve all of Europe and Latin America except UK and Italy. Its none stop music so no language barrier. Now these channels don't exist in UK they should add these channels to be available in the UK. Even if they use vh1 classic to focus on 70,80 and 90s music and use mtv classic to show 00 and 10s music. Or just get rid of all named channels and just focus on decade's like mtv 80s, mtv 90s, mtv 00s ect and incorporate programmes into the schedules with music. Mtv 90s could show daria, celebrity death match, beavis and butthead ect. It's a shame but moneys the big talker.
kez19, Mockah and benriggers gave kudos
GI
ginnyfan World News
According to this blog, from October, VH1 Classic will become MTV 80s while MTV Rocks will become MTV 90s.

VH1 Classic already started the MTV 80s Takeover block, with original MTV logo and all, as a replacement for We Love the 80s and a sort of tune up for this change.

https://greekdigitaltv.blogspot.com/2020/07/mtv-rocks-club-mtv.html?spref=tw&m=1
KE
How did the "pop up" channels fare?

ie MTV Rocks to VH1 Christmas
MTV OMG to ...

If I remember didn't VH1 Christmas rate well last year than MTV Rocks overall?
PF
PFMC84 UTV Newsline
Weird then that they didn't keep these channels on air and rebrand them accordingly when they launched Europe wide. Or perhaps they were afraid of it not making a difference seeing as NOW have 3 themed channels for the 70s, 80s and 90s and are FTA so have a much bigger reach.
KE
According to this blog, from October, VH1 Classic will become MTV 80s while MTV Rocks will become MTV 90s.

VH1 Classic already started the MTV 80s Takeover block, with original MTV logo and all, as a replacement for We Love the 80s and a sort of tune up for this change.

https://greekdigitaltv.blogspot.com/2020/07/mtv-rocks-club-mtv.html?spref=tw&m=1

It seems that MTV is done with the "rock" genre overall, I can't see it lasting on alternatives.

I am still surprised that even VH1 Classic has lasted this long but on the other it also proves a further point that it seems that Viacom/MTV UK had no intention of even giving the channel a refresh every so often, just seems like VH1 is a forgotten brand, I am aware in the US its mostly the similar lines of MTV ie reality with films in between.
Last edited by kez19 on 20 July 2020 8:14am
PA
PATV Scunthorpe Yorkshire Look North (E.Yorks & Lincs)
All three channels now displaying black and white captions with each corresponding logo and advertising where content is moving.

MTV OMG finished with ABBA - Thank You For The Music

Club MTV finished with Martin Garrix ft. Bonn - High on Life

and MTV Rocks finished with Oasis - Don't Look Back In Anger
“Nostalgia’s cool, but it won’t help me now, the dream is good, if you don’t wear it out.”
paul_hadley and Sh1ruba gave kudos
SB
SonicBen2706 Meridian (South) South Today
MTV OMG played out the boohooman.com ad before going straight to the caption. Club MTV and MTV Rocks had to get one last teleshopping in before going to the caption Smile
GH
Ghost Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
MTV Rocks and MTV OMG closed early on Virgin, they had already gone to the standard Virgin captions by 3:55. Club MTV closed at the scheduled time.
623058: Maybe it you clooks!
AJ
AJB39
All three channels have already been removed completely from the Virgin Media Ireland Horizon EPG.
CA
Caly123 Wales Wales Today
All mentioned +1 channels have gone as well.

Newer posts