The Newsroom

BBC Breakfast - 16th July onwards

Split from BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JW
JamesWorldNews
It’s been quite a week for the Breakfast Television market, with Naga Munchetty, Lorraine Kelly and Laura Tobin all being dropped or making an exit from their regular programmes.

^^^ The reason for my genuine question a few posts above was because I read that Naga Express article three times to try to convince myself that it was actually a proper newspaper article written by a journalist.

Imagine the same journalist (no offense to her) reporting on an episode of Emmerdale. Would she just fill the page with the entire script of the episode? It’s beyond bizarre. Can’t blame the journalist, but the Editor.

Steering back to BBC Breakfast, who’s on today and who’s been sensationally dropped?
MA
Markymark
Can’t blame the journalist, but the Editor.

The whole lot of them are equally to blame. Presumably they all qualify as key workers too. Simply trash
GH
Ghost
Steering back to BBC Breakfast, who’s on today and who’s been sensationally dropped?

ALL IS CALM this morning, with Dan and Louise presenting.
Custard56 and JamesWorldNews gave kudos
ST
Stuart
Ghost posted:

ALL IS CALM this morning, with Dan and Louise presenting.

So I guess Charlie and Naga have been "sensationally sacked"?
BFGArmy, Custard56 and Ghost gave kudos
SW
Steve Williams
Apologies is this is common knowledge, but I didn’t know Dan Walker used to read the Granada News

There's a clip somewhere on the internet of Dan commentating on a match for Granada circa the early noughties. In those days Granada would use quite a few regular sports presenters to read the news, I remember Alistair Mann, the football commentator, doing it a few times.

I'm sure I saw Naga presenting with Dan Walker on either Tuesday or Wednesday, so unless they were working her like a 'packhorse', then she wouldn't be covering the rest of the week as well.

And Rachel Burden was billed in the Radio Times as presenting on Saturday as well. I'm sorry to say my mum fell for the "Louise and Carol REPLACED on BBC Breakfast (because they were on holiday)" business last week. Such a ridiculous genre of journalism, having to watch an episode of Saturday Night Takaway and take as much as possible out of context...

What's particularly great is how many likes and retweets they get, ie more or less zero.

What makes you so confident unless you work there? Dan's appearance this morning promoting football focus was most certainly from a flash studio and not the newsroom.

I'm confident they don't do it from the sports studio because, er, it doesn't look anything like the sports studio.
bilky asko, Ghost and Brekkie gave kudos
BA
Ballyboy
When should breakfast go back to 09:15am. September?
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator

I imagine a lot will depend on whether the BBC decide to keep the 9am simulcast of the news channel on BBC One. If I recall correctly the English regions are due to restart their Breakfast bulletins, so it would make sense that any change/restoration of the programme length is unlikely to happen before then.
NE
Newsroom
Apologies is this is common knowledge, but I didn’t know Dan Walker used to read the Granada News

There's a clip somewhere on the internet of Dan commentating on a match for Granada circa the early noughties. In those days Granada would use quite a few regular sports presenters to read the news, I remember Alistair Mann, the football commentator, doing it a few times.

I'm sure I saw Naga presenting with Dan Walker on either Tuesday or Wednesday, so unless they were working her like a 'packhorse', then she wouldn't be covering the rest of the week as well.

And Rachel Burden was billed in the Radio Times as presenting on Saturday as well. I'm sorry to say my mum fell for the "Louise and Carol REPLACED on BBC Breakfast (because they were on holiday)" business last week. Such a ridiculous genre of journalism, having to watch an episode of Saturday Night Takaway and take as much as possible out of context...

What's particularly great is how many likes and retweets they get, ie more or less zero.

What makes you so confident unless you work there? Dan's appearance this morning promoting football focus was most certainly from a flash studio and not the newsroom.

I'm confident they don't do it from the sports studio because, er, it doesn't look anything like the sports studio.

I am not convinced. I believe it to be a position in the sports centre, set up to accommodate Breakfast during Covid and the 9am News on One, much like there is a static position 3 floors up in the Newsroom. Sally has mentioned it on air several times about how she's 3 floors down.
NE
Newsroom

I imagine a lot will depend on whether the BBC decide to keep the 9am simulcast of the news channel on BBC One. If I recall correctly the English regions are due to restart their Breakfast bulletins, so it would make sense that any change/restoration of the programme length is unlikely to happen before then.

I've checked back through listings pre Covid and the 9am bulletin hasn't replaced anything significant. A load of material shot months in advance. I am confident it will remain. It gives Victoria Derbyshire an outlet and the commitment Fran Unsworth publicly assured Derbyshire when the programme was axed, and clearly saves them money.

As many have agreed, Victoria's hours have become very watchable, it's a win win for the BBC.
SW
Steve Williams
I am not convinced. I believe it to be a position in the sports centre, set up to accommodate Breakfast during Covid and the 9am News on One, much like there is a static position 3 floors up in the Newsroom. Sally has mentioned it on air several times about how she's 3 floors down.

I'm sorry, I've totally lost track of what the argument is here. As far as I know, it began with a discussion about the sports presenter being in the sport studio and, in the grand tradition of this thread, someone suggested it was nice to see a decent studio for a change (ie, the sport studio, as this thread regularly suggests Breakfast should move to). I pointed out they weren't in the sport studio. That's it.
bilky asko and Custard56 gave kudos
:-(
A former member
Naga filled in for Emma Barnett on BBC Radio 5 Live Monday to Wednesday this week.
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
Naga filled in for Emma Barnett on BBC Radio 5 Live Monday to Wednesday this week.

Plus Newscast last night, doubt she'll be on Breakfast Friday and Saturday, thought she might miss this morning

Newer posts