Mass Media & Technology

Long Distance MW Radio Reception

(April 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NT
Night Thoughts
Remember years ago twiddling with a medium-wave radio and finding the English football results in German, which was very exciting at the time.

Until years later, when I discovered I'd actually come across the old 648AM version of the World Service which used to broadcast in German (and I think French too).

67 days later

MA
Matt7924
I have been listening again recently and I have still noticed a few Spanish stations. I looked at the list on the mediumwave.info website and it was showing that nearly all French MW stations had closed by 2018. However I remember hearing a French station on MW in Summer 2018 that announced its name as Classic Rock Radio, the recording had an English voice. The reception wasn't very good, but I could clearly make out the station name and I had been listening to the signal a few minutes before without it breaking up. However, I didn't find any reference to this station on MW.
TC
TonyCurrie
Reception of Radio Clyde in London when it started was only possible because LBC was on 417m when it launched. When it moved to 261 it if course wiped out the signal from Dechmont Hill.
MA
Markymark
Reception of Radio Clyde in London when it started was only possible because LBC was on 417m when it launched. When it moved to 261 it if course wiped out the signal from Dechmont Hill.

Clyde may well be receivable in the Midlands now, as what was BRMB 261 in old money closed down on June 30th
CO
commseng
I would imagine in the Midlands you are more likely to hear "Piccadilly", "Metro" or "Broadland" on 261 rather than Clyde.
I won't be tuning in just yet to see if Tony Currie is still doing the late show......!
MA
Markymark
I would imagine in the Midlands you are more likely to hear "Piccadilly", "Metro" or "Broadland" on 261 rather than Clyde.

Well you say that, but I was surprised once to receive Capital 194 in Cumbria, when I was expecting Forth, Hallam or City, or most likely of all BBC Tees !
CO
commseng
The RF world is a strange one indeed.....
MA
Markymark

That's what I love about it !
JA
james-2001

That's what I love about it !

And why it's sad that it's dying out. Shortwave isn't anywhere near as fascinating as it used to be.
EL
elmarko
These days all the shortwave kids are listening to the buzzer 24/7

But yeah Sad
james-2001, remlap and Ste gave kudos
JA
james-2001
Not been the same since the Lincolnshire Poacher went off air...
IS
Inspector Sands
Not been the same since the Lincolnshire Poacher went off air...

It has? Well who have I been taking my orders from then? Confused
elmarko and james-2001 gave kudos

Newer posts