The Newsroom

BBC NEWS CUTS

Cuts reactivated - P43 onwards (January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DE
deejay
B has the greater flexibility, but would need automation added.

Er ... no, probably quite the opposite in fact if they want it to attract external customers. News use bespoke Gallery automation and some Gallery kit that isn’t widely used elsewhere in mainstream tv production.
HA
harshy Founding member
Can’t believe Studio B is going, home of Impact, GMT, Global for over six years Crying or Very sad

And even those shows have gone many of them been on for years.

I do remember one shot however shown by accident and it had a very dusty top and in this day and age probably poses a health risk.
TI
timbouk
Can someone point me to a source that says studio B is being mothballed please.
MI
m_in_m
I fear that if B is mothballed and Marr and Newsnight remain in E two things happen - Mart no longer is able to continue with the musical items which is a huge loss. There is so little live performances on screen and they've had a wide range of performers over the years.

For Newsnight it means it will be permanently at 1045 and so it feels like it will be even harder for the programme to survive. Alternatively they might be able to locate to a World Service studio - assuming they don't require any additional staffing for cameras.
CM
cmthwtv
Going back to the regional cuts, going off the message that the presenters will have to apply for one job, will they seriously be asking one presenter to present 18:30 5 days a week, in most cases either the lunchtime or the late, and then the Politics Local programme?
MI
m_in_m
Going back to the regional cuts, going off the message that the presenters will have to apply for one job, will they seriously be asking one presenter to present 18:30 5 days a week, in most cases either the lunchtime or the late, and then the Politics Local programme?

There is no reason why one person has to present five days a week. Two presenters could job share the role. The Politics programme - is this returning and it could be presented by someone else. Not all regions use an 1830 presenter.
CM
cmthwtv

There is no reason why one person has to present five days a week. Two presenters could job share the role. The Politics programme - is this returning and it could be presented by someone else. Not all regions use an 1830 presenter.

I understand that, but according to sources on here the two presenters of the 18:30 programme have to apply for one role. At least that's the case in the North West.
RN
Rolling News

Not sure about other regions, but here in the East Midlands it's already one person for the lunchtime and teatime, then somebody else for the late. Although at the moment they tend to rotate Anne and Dominic each day for the daytime bulletins (it's usually Elise Chamberlain who does the late), I'm not sure if it will just be the same person every day after the cuts have kicked in.
AS
AlexS

I understand that, but according to sources on here the two presenters of the 18:30 programme have to apply for one role. At least that's the case in the North West.

I'd imagine that an employer like the BBC would have a policy that obliges them to consider job share applications, in which case Roger and Annabel could opt to apply to share the role if that is what they wished to do.
TR
trevormon
Can someone point me to a source that says studio B is being mothballed please.

"TV Studio B will be taken out of daily use, with World News, Newsnight and the Andrew Marr Show broadcasting from other NBH studios. It will be retained for some of our big events and other programming"

....according to what staff were told yesterday.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
For Newsnight it means it will be permanently at 1045 and so it feels like it will be even harder for the programme to survive. Alternatively they might be able to locate to a World Service studio - assuming they don't require any additional staffing for cameras.

Nothing has been said about Studio A
JW
JamesWorldNews

Newer posts