TV Home Forum

BBC Cymru Wales New HQ

Move-in delayed until Summer (June 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
Yes, that seems a long time considering how complete that looks. Some staff moved into the building at the beginning of the year

Building the set, and lighting it up, are the easy bits considering the technology that's being deployed there!

Yes, quite. Although I imagine the technology in the studio itself isn't that much different to the norm compared with new IP infrastructure they're working with everywhere else.

I can't remember the deails, I don't think even the studios are 100% SDI, it would be silly not to use format agnostic IP than hardwire yourself into 1.5 or 3 G SDI.

That said there'll be an awful lot of SDI<>IP glue
BA
Ballyboy
I see there’s a dedicated screen for derek and whoever does the sport. I know they won’t but if they were to update their titles with the reith typeface again I hope they fix that Wales today logo.
WH
what
I see there’s a dedicated screen for derek and whoever does the sport. I know they won’t but if they were to update their titles with the reith typeface again I hope they fix that Wales today logo.

I don’t think they’ve had a separate sports presenter in quite a while.
BB
BBI45
BBI45 posted:
Surely they won't be leaving it until next year unless they absolutely have to.

Yes, that seems a long time considering how complete that looks. Some staff moved into the building at the beginning of the year

Building the set, and lighting it up, are the easy bits considering the technology that's being deployed there!

I'm certainly not disputing that there will still be a good bit of work to go on everything, and I can understand why COVID-19 has thrown a spanner in the works. I just feel like next year is unrealistic, considering how complete it looks in the picture. A delay into autumn or early winter, I could understand, but writing it off until next year seems a bit extreme, especially given that we're all starting to return to some form of normality.
MA
Markymark
BBI45 posted:

I'm certainly not disputing that there will still be a good bit of work to go on everything, and I can understand why COVID-19 has thrown a spanner in the works. I just feel like next year is unrealistic, considering how complete it looks in the picture. A delay into autumn or early winter, I could understand, but writing it off until next year seems a bit extreme, especially given that we're all starting to return to some form of normality.

I tend to agree, but you've probably never seen a typical BBC gantt chart, even in 'normal' times they are ultra conservative and risk adverse with timescales!
BA
Ballyboy
Who remembers when the march 2013 set launched they had their own rendition of the globe loop. I’d like to see that with the reith font
Last edited by Ballyboy on 6 July 2020 6:16pm

10 days later

MA
Markymark
Seems BBC Wales Pres has moved to Central Square

JO
Josh

BA
Ballyboy
Wales today should arrive by autumn. I’ve seen the pics it’s a great building
WH
what
Wales today should arrive by autumn. I’ve seen the pics it’s a great building

Yeah...pictures of the building and the studio have been shared both here and in the media for months now.
IS
Inspector Sands
BBC Wales presentation department seems to have quite a selection of old BBC pres paraphernalia. Hopefully they will manage to bring it over to their new home.

They did well to get it together in the circumstances though in the case of presentation the systems they're using were only installed in Llandaff a couple of years ago so it will be established technology in terms of operation, just running on a very different infrastructure.

I wonder if the suspension of BBC 2 Wales for a while helped the process too

12 days later

BR
Brekkie
The first radio broadcasts from the new HQ took place on Radio Cymru 2 and Radio Cymru over the weekend.

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2020/07/first-radio-show-broadcast-from-new-bbc-wales-hq/

Newer posts