The Newsroom

Coronavirus | Television News Coverage

WO
Worzel Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
So with hairdressers now open in (most) places which media stars have we noticed have had haircuts over the weekend? Dan Walker and Piers Morgan are 2 I've noticed. Can't wait to see Charlie Stayt's hair.

Mark Austin.
RK
Rkolsen World News
Here’s a good video from SMPTE NY’s Chapter on how stations managed to continue operations online. In the presentation you’ll see from the engineer in charge of the Fox O&Os, NBC News head of tech ops, CNBC head tech ops, WABC/Live with Kelly and Ryan (WABC produces the show) operations manager and finally the head of RF at ViacomCBS who solely focused on how The Late Show with Steven Colbert @ Home was produced. The videos two hours long but if you have 90 minutes to spare you’ll see all the presentations.

Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
ST
Stuart West Country (West) Spotlight
I noticed a rather odd new convention on the end credits for Peston last night, where Nicola Sturgeon is referred to by her job title.

I can understand this as subtext on the straps during the interview, but have never seen it before in the end credits, even for the Prime Minister. Matt Hancock isn't referred to as "Health & Social Care Secretary Matt Hancock MP".

I do hope that we're not going down the Americanised route of calling people by their job titles, which results in the likes of "Groundskeeper Willy" Very Happy
RK
Rkolsen World News
I noticed a rather odd new convention on the end credits for Peston last night, where Nicola Sturgeon is referred to by her job title.

I can understand this as subtext on the straps during the interview, but have never seen it before in the end credits, even for the Prime Minister. Matt Hancock isn't referred to as "Health & Social Care Secretary Matt Hancock MP".

I do hope that we're not going down the Americanised route of calling people by their job titles, which results in the likes of "Groundskeeper Willy" Very Happy

I don’t see what’s wrong of using First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, MP as some may not know she’s the leader of one of the devolved nations so she should get more respect. Now say this aired on the Scottish Nine I’d expect they’d drop the First Minister title as the Scottish people should know she’s their leader.

The only titles used in news that I have seen are the abbreviated versions of Doctor, Reverend, Father, Rabbi, Senator, Representative, Governor, Lieutenant Governor, what ever the local State/County/City representatives are called and occasionally Vice President. If it’s a foreign leader like if Boris Johnson came over it could be either PM Boris Johnson or Boris Johnson, PM (depending on space it may be spelled out).

Santa, POTUS and the Queen aren't supered.

I’ve never seen something like Groundskeeper Willy on super as a title, but if say they were in a package talking about a golf course they’d usually say “Groundskeeper William Jones” or “William Jones is the groundskeeper”. If it was supered would probably either just be “William Jones” or a two line super would be “William Jones / Groundskeeper for Maryland Country Club”. I’ve rarely seen a situation in the US where someone occupation goes in front of the persons name, like it does on Sky News.
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
AN
Andrew Founding member Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
I don’t see what’s wrong of using First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, MP as some may not know she’s the leader of one of the devolved nations so she should get more respect. Now say this aired on the Scottish Nine I’d expect they’d drop the First Minister title as the Scottish people should know she’s their leader.

With all due respect, Nicola Sturgeon is very well known across the UK, in the world of UK politics probably second only to the PM
AS
AlexS Central (East) Midlands Today

With all due respect, Nicola Sturgeon is very well known across the UK, in the world of UK politics probably second only to the PM

I'd imagine May, Blair and Farage are above her to name 3 (would also include Brown and Cameron if they were still active in politics to any significant level).
AN
AlexS posted:

I'd imagine May, Blair and Farage are above her to name 3 (would also include Brown and Cameron if they were still active in politics to any significant level).

I was basically meaning out of the ministers/cabinet/front bench/leaders, rather than naming ex PMs
RN
Rolling News Central (East) East Midlands Today
Press briefing at 11am this morning, meaning the NC simulcast is currently on BBC One instead of Two.
NE
Newsroom Banned from this forum
Press briefing at 11am this morning, meaning the NC simulcast is currently on BBC One instead of Two.

Heavens, when was that announced? Came through on my phone at 10.55?
HA
harshy Founding member
Why is telling me on world news that signing is available on the bbc news channel Confused
RN
Rolling News Central (East) East Midlands Today

Heavens, when was that announced? Came through on my phone at 10.55?

No idea. I only know because I tuned in to BBC Two at 10.55 for the headlines and saw it was on BBC ONe so thought 'this must be important!'.
AN
I knew there was going to be one today, but I assumed it would be at 5pm.

Newer posts