TV Home Forum

Bauer rebranding 53 stations to The Hits/Greatest Hits

The majority of its acquisitions last year (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GM
Gary McEwan
i guess regional radio isnt relevant anymore, ie majority of heart programming coming from london, GHR both in england and scotland, worrying times!

Radio Aire has always been a variation on Aire (eg Aire FM, Aire 963, The New 96.3 Aire FM)

I think Hallam and Metro are similar

Oh yes, and Clyde ? There we are then, it's not as bleak as I thought !

I thought Bauer's Scottish stations were largely untouched for now, in terms of names and networking from Clydebank and Edinburgh?
They're obviously using the same branding as the Hits/GHR stations but do seem to have primarily Scottish voices on the schedule.

The morning shows are still local, but then after that a lot of stuff throughout the day and night is networked from Clyde 1.
GE
thegeek Founding member
i guess regional radio isnt relevant anymore, ie majority of heart programming coming from london, GHR both in england and scotland, worrying times!

I thought Bauer's Scottish stations were largely untouched for now, in terms of names and networking from Clydebank and Edinburgh?
They're obviously using the same branding as the Hits/GHR stations but do seem to have primarily Scottish voices on the schedule.

The morning shows are still local, but then after that a lot of stuff throughout the day and night is networked from Clyde 1.

that's the point I was trying to make - they're not taking much content from outwith Scotland, even on the AM side.
DV
dvboy
whatever Leicester Sound is called these days

Capital East Midlands
DV
dvboy
Yes.. and no.
On Air (both in presenter links and jingles) - Heart WM was 100.7 Heart FM and London was Heart 106.2. I'm not sure it they said 'This is Birmingham's Heart, or You're listening to Heart London' it was always with the respective set of numbers after or before it.

So, yes - both stations are still called 'Heart' but if you call dropping the frequencies as a name change, then no, both have had a slight name change since day 1 on air.

100.7 has never referred to itself geographically as far as I am aware whereas 106.2 has at least called itself "London's Heart" at the end of news bulletins at some point (sometimes these erroneously go out on Heart 80s or 90s in the morning).
LL
London Lite Founding member

Oh and Sunrise in Yorkshire and London, although the latter kept its name and sold its frequency and moved along the dial

It's even worse that that. The company that owned the licences for Sunrise 1458, Sunrise Radio 2 1035, two Time FM stations in Slough and Romford and Palm FM in Torquay went bust and fell into administration.

The 963/972 youth Asian licence was owned by another Avtar Litt company, so they were able to rebrand it as the main Sunrise station, but since then changed to being a youth Asian station to comply with the London AM licence.

Lycamobile acquired the other stations and turned the original Sunrise Radio into Lyca Radio, while 1035 is now DilSe Radio, Time Slough was handed back to Ofcom due to not being able to find a new tx site as the old one was being demolished and Time Romford continues to this day. Palm FM was sold to Celador who changed it to The Breeze and is now becoming Greatest Hits Radio under Bauer.
IS
Inspector Sands
dvboy posted:

100.7 has never referred to itself geographically as far as I am aware whereas 106.2 has at least called itself "London's Heart" at the end of news bulletins at some point

100.7 was partly a geographical name wasn't it, as in the Heart of England?

106.2's original name when they won the license was Crystal FM
IS
Inspector Sands

Oh and Sunrise in Yorkshire and London, although the latter kept its name and sold its frequency and moved along the dial

It's even worse that that. The company that owned the licences for Sunrise 1458, Sunrise Radio 2 1035, two Time FM stations in Slough and Romford and Palm FM in Torquay went bust and fell into administration.

The 963/972 youth Asian licence was owned by another Avtar Litt company, so they were able to rebrand it as the main Sunrise station, but since then changed to being a youth Asian station to comply with the London AM licence.

Lycamobile acquired the other stations and turned the original Sunrise Radio into Lyca Radio, while 1035 is now DilSe Radio,

Thanks for that. I used to know what all the London MW stations were but have lost track

There's very little explanation out there about exactly what happened with Sunrise for whatever reason. I seem to remember it all sounding like it happened very quickly when Lyca took over, presumably to keep the license valid

A bit of a sad end to one of London's longest running stations, as was what happened to Spectrum 558 and London Turkish. My understanding is that LTR sold its frequency to Panjab Radio, then Spectrum sold its airtime to Love Sport. Then they swapped licenses giving Panjab 558 and Spectrum/Love Sport 1584 which is just for North London. Then Spectrum went bust and was wound up last year, so not sure what happened to the 1584 license but I think Love Sport are still on it. They were advertising it and their DAB slots for hire just before it was wound up
IS
Inspector Sands

that's the point I was trying to make - they're not taking much content from outwith Scotland, even on the AM side.

There are stricter rules about networking programmes between the 'nations'. This is the reason that XFM Scotland was closed down by Global because when it became Radio X they couldn't just simulcast it like they do in Manchester: https://radiotoday.co.uk/2015/09/global-radio-to-give-up-xfm-scotland-licence/

It's the same reason why what is now Swansea Sound will become GHR South Wales but retain a lot of local programming
GM
Gary McEwan
Beat 106 which ultimately became Capital Scotland, is now back as Beat 106 Scotland with some of the original DJ's.

The plans are if if goes well as an online station to begin with, they are hoping to apply for a licence to get broadcasting on FM and DAB in the near future.

Beat 106 used to be Clyde 1's biggest rival in the early noughties, so I hope it pays off for them.
MA
Markymark
dvboy posted:

100.7 has never referred to itself geographically as far as I am aware whereas 106.2 has at least called itself "London's Heart" at the end of news bulletins at some point

100.7 was partly a geographical name wasn't it, as in the Heart of England?

Yes, I think that's entirely why it was called Heart? Remember it predates the London 106. 2 station.

I really liked the original version of 100.7 Heart, used to be able to receive it down here in Hampshire during enhanced lift conditions.
MA
Markymark

What about Forth, Northsound and Downtown Radio? City in Liverpool

Others that spring to mind are LGR in North London and Sunshine in Herefordshire. Premier in London too

<monty phython life of brian>

What have the Romans ever given us?
IS
Inspector Sands

What about Forth, Northsound and Downtown Radio? City in Liverpool

Others that spring to mind are LGR in North London and Sunshine in Herefordshire. Premier in London too

<monty phython life of brian>

What have the Romans ever given us?

er... Isle of Wight Radio?

Newer posts