(July 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KU
Kunst
Well, some music channels in France have closed down

The set of MTV channels now is reduced to MTV and MTV Hits
OM
Omnipresent
Will miss dipping into Club MTV now and again.

Visually, these channels have not been great viewing with the lack of HD and cropping of 4:3 music videos. Though, I would have though the marginal cost of running these channels must have been very low.

Have often wondered whether, if there was the will on the part of MTV, it could make a success of permanent dedicated 80s / 90s channels with videos and reruns of original programming like MTV Unplugged and The Real World.

I didn't know MTV Live HD was only available on Virgin Media in the UK. I hope it stays. To give MTV credit, the picture quality is excellent.
KE
kez19
Kunst posted:
MTV Is now One of their worst performing main channels, so not surprising at all

Which begs the question and lets say in theory "programming" was dropped and music returned would the main channels viewership return or dwindle further? Its ironic that VH1 had gone that very way maybe its catching up with them now....
KE
kez19
kez19 posted:
Could they not bring MTV LiveHD back to Sky to fill part of the gap left by the 3 closures in that section?

its a good idea for Sky viewers but why was MTV Live dropped from Sky in the first place? I thought they dropped the HD counterpart and the SD(?) was still there (guess I am wrong on that part)

I think both the SD and HD versions were on Sky, and when they removed the HD version, they replaced it with MTV Music +1, and the SD version remained initially (in the same epg slot) before eventually being removed, if my memory serves me right.

What you say does ring a bell seems to have been an awkward setup on Sky close the channel to replace it with a +1 and to use its other space for another channel....
KE
kez19
Kunst posted:
Also add that when MTV Live HD shut down on Sky, the adverts (and the fillers on the European version) also disappeared , so the schedule changed from a 30-60 minutes based, to the current more 'off the clock' one

The HD feed on Sky became Nick Jr HD

Pretty much MTV Live is ad free and non stop and as you say its off the clock, to even think MTV Live HD was known before as MTVN HD and it featured animation on it.... but MTV Live to me is just another Hits/Music channel it hardly offers anything edgy, let alone these days its more of a "pop" channel than a better variation
RC
RegularCapital
It will probably just be MTV and MTV Music left in the end and MTV Live HD for the providers that want it, it's a pan-feed so the cost of the channel can be spread out with the other providers in other countries.

MTVN HD aired cartoons as it was before Nickelodeon UK HD launched, but soon faded away after the Nick HD launch and just focused on music. The purpose of the channel was basically a HD channel for MTV Networks' channel portfolio.
KE
kez19
It will probably just be MTV and MTV Music left in the end and MTV Live HD for the providers that want it, it's a pan-feed so the cost of the channel can be spread out with the other providers in other countries.

MTVN HD aired cartoons as it was before Nickelodeon UK HD launched, but soon faded away after the Nick HD launch and just focused on music. The purpose of the channel was basically a HD channel for MTV Networks' channel portfolio.

I wonder if the end is near for MTV? I get the point of the 2 channels that'll be left (3 if you include Live), I still have never understood what MTV Live means - I thought the channel was live music 24/7 but it doesn't appear to be that anyway!

MTVN HD I didn't know that was the purpose behind it, did seem different at the time seeing some animation on it though

This is random: What do we think has gone wrong with MTV and its station in the UK compared to its counterparts in Europe/USA and Australia(?) , I might be wrong in terms of Australia lol, seems like as an example the USA has MTV and VH1 together as well as MTV2/MTV U and MTV Live USA (i'm guessing the channels are a success?) in Europe I believe you have the MTV channels as well as even VH1 or VH1 Classic still running? (correct me)
GO
gottago
kez19 posted:
Kunst posted:
MTV Is now One of their worst performing main channels, so not surprising at all

Which begs the question and lets say in theory "programming" was dropped and music returned would the main channels viewership return or dwindle further? Its ironic that VH1 had gone that very way maybe its catching up with them now....

They would dwindle further. While MTV might not be rating anywhere near as well as it did 7 or 8 years ago when its reality shows were at their peak it still by far out rates any of the channels that actually show music so they're not going to revert back to that format.
KE
kez19
kez19 posted:
Kunst posted:

They would dwindle further. While MTV might not be rating anywhere near as well as it did 7 or 8 years ago when its reality shows were at their peak it still by far out rates any of the channels that actually show music so they're not going to revert back to that format.

Whilst I understand that they won't revert back to as it was previously but yet we could say then why bring in themed countdowns ... well OK UK Top 40 onto the channel once more? Seems pretty much the channel is gubbed for ideas thats for sure....
PF
PFML84
MTV Rocks closure means Kerrang! will be the only dedicated rock channel on air.

Well, Scuzz is coming back sure... Wink

I have always thought that it would be so much better if the number of channels was drastically reduced. We don’t need a niche channel for every little thing, spreading little content as far as possible. Some other broadcasters could do with slimming themselves down too.

As far as MTV goes, MTV Germany’s ratings plummeted when they encrypted and went HD so much so that they launched a FTA SD version of the channel to get viewers back.
KE
kez19
MTV Rocks closure means Kerrang! will be the only dedicated rock channel on air.

Well, Scuzz is coming back sure... Wink

I have always thought that it would be so much better if the number of channels was drastically reduced. We don’t need a niche channel for every little thing, spreading little content as far as possible. Some other broadcasters could do with slimming themselves down too.

As far as MTV goes, MTV Germany’s ratings plummeted when they encrypted and went HD so much so that they launched a FTA SD version of the channel to get viewers back.

I agree that the channels do need slimmed down but why was the need for so many? For me especially at MTV it was that the playlists at first I would say we're diverse but these days the playlists seem to be that tight, they just air the same tracks over again (it was only on occasions I believe it was the weekends ie Club MTV they would play more 90s music)

Again I know I maybe being nostalgic again but even if you look back in the 90s ... you had MTV/The Box playing current music (MTV seemed to cater to most genres), VH1 played music from the 70s to present but it did cover more than one genre ie they had disco themed nights ie Friday/Saturday as well as played a broad mix of music ie rock to motown.

VH1 before the reality trip just became a channel playing ballads the genres just became minimal and quickly forgotten (seemed more like whoever ran it in the past left and who was running it in the present time couldn't give a toss so kept it the way it was..)

MTV UK from 97 as far as I remember had Hitlist UK/HOT/So 90s/Dancefloor chart (maybe a rock show too??) and then it was just a music channel but it did mix with shows in between like Select etc these days its put music videos on early morning and nothing more (surprised they don't play music between shows than show ads but hey ho)
OM
Omnipresent
kez19 posted:
I agree that the channels do need slimmed down but why was the need for so many? For me especially at MTV it was that the playlists at first I would say we're diverse but these days the playlists seem to be that tight, they just air the same tracks over again (it was only on occasions I believe it was the weekends ie Club MTV they would play more 90s music)

I guess 10-20 years ago, having multiple channels helped bulk up MTV's overall share of viewing and provide more available advertising minutes.

Newer posts