TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Regardless of the crowd situation reports tonight the PL will return to relative normality next year with just the usual matches on Sky/BT/Amazon available for broadcast and also the drinks breaks being scrapped due to fear they may lead to in-half advertising. Five substitutes will remain for the season though.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-scrap-water-breaks-22349146
NW
nwtv2003

UK
UKnews
Although he hasn’t ‘stepped down’, it wasn't a voluntary decision. It's not like Motson deciding to gradually wind down, he's been demoted. IMO a very poor decision.

Last edited by UKnews on 14 July 2020 11:32am
TI
TIGHazard
The bbc highlights package for cricket has been impressive a very good use of the bbc sport graphics is it shown live anywhere ?

Don't forget the BBC were due to air live coverage of The Hundred before it got pushed back till next year.

So the graphics will have been designed for this.
RR
RR
Although he hasn’t ‘stepped down’, it wasn't a voluntary decision. It's not like Motson deciding to gradually wind down, he's been demoted. IMO a very poor decision.

The Guardian have changed their stance on this, the story now headlined "Clive Tyldesley 'baffled and upset' after replacement as ITV lead commentator".

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jul/14/sam-matterface-takes-up-itv-football-mic-after-clive-tyldesley-steps-down
TL
toby lerone 2016

What a bizarre decision by ITV Sport, I think Clive is still at the top of his game and I don't mind Sam Matterface but he is not a number 1 commentator in my opinion. I have been really enjoying ITV Football at the minute, they really upped their game bringing in Lee Dixon, Ian Wright, Mark Pougatch etc although their commentary has probably regressed with this decision and the loss of Peter Drury and Jon Champion.

It is the latest in a line of ITV treating football talent badly, look at how they handled bringing in Des Lynam and moving Bob Wilson aside in 1999, the side lining of Gabby Logan in 2006 for Steve Rider then getting rid of him for Adrian Chiles then moving him aside for Pougatch in 2015. Wouldn't be surprised if Clive moved to another channel or moved full time to talksport.
Jeffmister, bkman1990 and AJB39 gave kudos
HA
harshy Founding member
Couldn’t he commentate for IMG Sports Media/PLP your voice goes out to many millions then.
SW
Steve Williams
It is the latest in a line of ITV treating football talent badly, look at how they handled bringing in Des Lynam and moving Bob Wilson aside in 1999, the side lining of Gabby Logan in 2006 for Steve Rider then getting rid of him for Adrian Chiles then moving him aside for Pougatch in 2015. Wouldn't be surprised if Clive moved to another channel or moved full time to talksport.

Some of those were a bit different in that it seemingly wasn't ITV Sport's decision - certainly in the case of the arrival of Lynam and Chiles it seemed to be because there was a big name on the market and the big bosses at ITV wanted them. In the case of Chiles they mostly poached him for Daybreak and offered him the football as a sweetener, and never mind they had someone in situ, and Wilson says in his book almost nobody at ITV knew they were hiring Lynam, it was a deal seemingly entirely done by David Liddiment and Brian Barwick, and just before the meeting he was told about it, he was merrily chatting away to the Head of Football about what was coming up, he was completely in the dark.

The fact people like Wilson and Rider continued to work for ITV Sport after very prominent and seemingly quite humiliating demotions suggest that they had no problem with ITV Sport themselves, it was the bosses above them who made the decisions. ITV Sport themselves seem to have been very good at managing talent and people seem to enjoy working there, which is why this seems particularly strange. There doesn't seem to be particular rhyme nor reason to it.
Jeffmister and UKnews gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Not surprised it wasn't his decision, and not convinced Sam Matterface is right to replace him now. Obviously ITV have the FA Cup contract in mind and are thinking beyond Euro 2020+1 but a shame he couldn't at least have had that as a send off to the main gig.
SW
Steve Williams
In other ITV Sport news, while looking on the ITV press site for the statement about this, I see that following on from their full rerun of Euro 96 they're doing the same for the 2003 Rugby World Cup, starting next Monday, with the England matches on ITV4 and all the other matches on the ITV Hub.

Will be quite interesting to see some of the surrounding presentation for this, it was fronted by Jim Rosenthal and Angus Scott in London with Gabby Logan in Australia, and it came during a period where they weren't covering very much rugby at all - I think they had a few Sevens tournaments, but certainly nothing like the late nineties when they had England highlights - so they had to create a commentary team pretty much from scratch. The commentators were John Taylor, Nigel Starmer-Smith (who had left the Beeb a year or so earlier to go freelance, and didn't seem to have left on very good terms) and Mark Robson, though I remember idly flicking on to one match and there was no commentary as they'd lost the line, and Bob Symonds had to take over from London (presumably being on standby to do that in every match), and in the highlights that night he was commentating from the start.

Despite the time difference it was obviously a very successful tournament for ITV, though I remember scoffing at the time at this terrible article in Media Guardian which congratulated them on how quickly they got the adverts on after the final whistle - https://www.theguardian.com/media/2003/nov/24/mondaymediasection.rugbyworldcup2003 I like the quote from that ad buyer saying "Up until now I think people have subliminally seen it as a BBC event, but that will have changed now", because the Six Nations rights came up for tender a few weeks later and ITV didn't even bid, and didn't show any more rugby for another four years.
BR
Brekkie
Yes, took a long time for international rugby outside the RWC to appear, but of course they did have the English Premiership highlights a few years later (not sure if before of after the 2007 RWC) which ultimately did improve their coverage of the World Cup by having the spine of a team in place.

Did Jim Rosenthal go out to Australia for the final stages (or at least the final) as has happened in more recent tournaments?
SW
Steve Williams
Did Jim Rosenthal go out to Australia for the final stages (or at least the final) as has happened in more recent tournaments?

I seem to remember they did the final from the ground. I also remember that because of the extra time it was followed by a truncated edition of On The Ball with Matt Smith and the pundits all wearing England shirts. For ages I had that night's edition of The Premiership on tape, cos I'd gone out that night, and they inevitably mentioned it loads, and at the end of the show they did a montage of highlights of the match interspersed with various managers and players talking about it during their post-match interviews, I remember Alex Ferguson congratulating them through gritted teeth.

But it was the Beeb who had England's first match after the win, against the Barbarians the Saturday before Christmas, and that same night ITV did a special programme presented by Chris Tarrant in front of a studio audience with the squad and various special guests, and it was a terrible show that absolutely flopped in the ratings.

Newer posts