The Newsroom

The Sky News Thread

(October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
Stuart
Kay Burley@Breakfast is currently my preferred option in the early mornings. I like the presentation style.

They also seem to have fixed the echoing sound issue in the glass box, and she's a bit like a 'dog with a bone' when interrogating politicians, whereas BBC's Dan Walker prefers to stroke their egos.
DE
derek500
Interestingly, the only Sky breakfast shows that make the BARB top 15 these days are the weekend editions. We were regular Sunrise viewers from 1989, but gave it up when Burley took over (we were OK with her afternoon show). It's too in your face, empty chairing, forcing mugs on guests, 'gotcha' interviewing, no sports news etc. As creatures of habit we don't bother with the weekend shows, either. We have the radio on now.

The weekday Sunrise shows were always BARB top 10/15 regulars.
AN
another_beauty
Would anyone know if there were any changes to Sky News on Freeview?

The picture quality is a bit rubbish, however a few months ago it suddenly improved and was much clearer, until a few weeks ago when it went back to normal.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Would anyone know if there were any changes to Sky News on Freeview?

The picture quality is a bit rubbish, however a few months ago it suddenly improved and was much clearer, until a few weeks ago when it went back to normal.

I've always Sky News found really bad since they dropped the resolution to 544x576. It used to be one of the better channels for SD picture quality in the early days of Freeview.

DigitalBitrate shows the bitrate which can be as low as 0.6mbps.

https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?mux=ARQA-COM5&pid=22080&live=9&sec=0&lang=en
AA
Aaron_2015
Anybody else finding Sky News’ continuous push notifications on the Johnny Depp libel case rather trashy? Whilst it is a significant case, the updates being put out are more like something out of Hello magazine, as opposed to a credible broadcaster.
SO
Soupnzi
Anybody else finding Sky News’ continuous push notifications on the Johnny Depp libel case rather trashy? Whilst it is a significant case, the updates being put out are more like something out of Hello magazine, as opposed to a credible broadcaster.

I also didn’t like the way the reporter Noel Phillips described it as a ‘blockbuster’, more than once yesterday. It’s not a film premiere but a case with serious- and often upsetting examples of- domestic violence at its core.
FC
FrancesC

NBC News has launched a new This is who we are promo, Sky News is included…
Toasty603, Stuart and valley gave kudos
WO
Worzel

I also didn’t like the way the reporter Noel Phillips described it as a ‘blockbuster’, more than once yesterday. It’s not a film premiere but a case with serious- and often upsetting examples of- domestic violence at its core.

Yep, and domestic abuse against a man/male victim which for some reason some sections of the media and some members of the public still find amusing even in 2020.
JO
Jon

Yep, and domestic abuse against a man/male victim which for some reason some sections of the media and some members of the public still find amusing even in 2020.

Or politicians openly downplay it. Or paint it as insignificant with lines like “and it usually is women”. Something that I’m sure is true but to me suggests the person making the statement thinks cases of it happening to men are too insignificant to matter. And is unhelpful as that can’t of mindset would put men from seeking help.
WO
Worzel
Jon posted:

Or politicians openly downplay it. Or paint it as insignificant with lines like “and it usually is women”. Something that I’m sure is true but to me suggests the person making the statement thinks cases of it happening to men are too insignificant to matter. And is unhelpful as that can’t of mindset would put men from seeking help.

I know. Its very sad and it comes across as if they're sucking up to certain people. I won a national radio award for my work highlighting male victims of domestic abuse in a programme last year and one of the judges (a female) commented on the feedback that it was inspiring the topic was being taken seriously and not mocked or just dismissed.

Having experienced domestic abuse by an ex-girlfriend myself in the past I know first hand how traumatic it can be.
RK
Rkolsen

NBC News has launched a new This is who we are promo, Sky News is included…

Last night NBC aired a 30 Rock One Time Special that doubled as a promotion for Peacock and their upfront presentation. It was preempted in over half the country (including here in Baltimore) because affiliates are scared of streaming services and it promoted shows on other networks. But it was available on Peacock after it aired in west coast and is airing Friday night at 9 on all the NBCU cable channels (save for MSNBC which is live). There were a few references to Sky News (including Alec Baldwin’s character Jack Donaghy willing to take on a royal role at Sky as he retired) and a mention of Sky Sports (with a little montage IIRC).
SC
scottishtv Founding member
Last night NBC aired a 30 Rock One Time Special that doubled as a promotion for Peacock and their upfront presentation. It was preempted in over half the country (including here in Baltimore) because affiliates are scared of streaming services and it promoted shows on other networks.

I learnt something new today - I genuinely didn't realise there was another meaning to the word pre-empt:

Surely this sort of behaviour from affiliates just drives fans of the show to the streaming service as they have now missed out seeing their programme?

Newer posts