TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
JKDerry
I see University Challenge is back tonight on BBC 2. Does anyone know when this was filmed and how much they got filmed before lock down happened? Has the whole 37 episodes been recorded? Thanks.
JO
Josh

Posted it in the Channel 4 thread but worth posting here too.
CA
Cando
https://deadline.com/2020/07/line-of-duty-bbc-drama-targets-late-august-restart-1202983927/

Line of Duty might resume filming in late August in Belfast.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/confirmed-bake-off-line-duty-22344704

The very reliable and well sourced Nicola Methven writes about the big problem of finding insurance.
Last edited by Cando on 13 July 2020 9:45pm
JK
JKDerry
It most certainly looked like University Challenge was filmed without a studio audience. The camera angles concentrated on the set. Anyone see it? The had an audience applause track used but other than that I think there was no studio audience present in the Dock10 studio in Salford.
JO
Johnr
If it was filmed post lock down, naugty Glasgow for sneaking in a few handshakes at the end Very Happy

Just read on Digital Spy the first 14 episodes were recorded early March but the next lot have been delayed until September, so there'll probably be some slight tweaks for those
PE
peterh
Remember a National lockdown is the last result for a bad situation as to which every solution has already been used and failed to solve an issue from which a society needs protection, the problem as we have seen is that it scares people, wrecks economies and standards of living, children’s educations and are quite hard to enforce, so they are only used as a last resort, they want to keep doing local actions this is preferable Currently
JO
Jonwo
Johnr posted:
If it was filmed post lock down, naugty Glasgow for sneaking in a few handshakes at the end Very Happy

Just read on Digital Spy the first 14 episodes were recorded early March but the next lot have been delayed until September, so there'll probably be some slight tweaks for those

I'm impressed they've managed to film 14 episodes in March, that means they will no gap between episodes if they manage to finish filming the next batch in September.

I wonder how Only Connect will film its episodes with the adjustment? Mastermind I assume can film without the audience and the contestants spaced apart.
JK
JKDerry
Jonwo posted:
Johnr posted:

I'm impressed they've managed to film 14 episodes in March, that means they will no gap between episodes if they manage to finish filming the next batch in September.

I wonder how Only Connect will film its episodes with the adjustment? Mastermind I assume can film without the audience and the contestants spaced apart.

Only Connect might have to space out the three contestants on each team, other than that, there is no studio audience anyway, it should be easy enough for them.
JO
Jonwo
Jimmy Fallon returns to the studio:
https://deadline.com/2020/07/the-tonight-show-starring-jimmy-fallon-returns-to-the-studio-andrew-cuomo-1202984376/

I would imagine Seth Meyers will follow suit in due course. Not sure on Stephen Colbert and Trevor Noah who are both NY based but I'm sure they will return to the studio eventually.
JK
JKDerry
Jonwo posted:
Jimmy Fallon returns to the studio:
https://deadline.com/2020/07/the-tonight-show-starring-jimmy-fallon-returns-to-the-studio-andrew-cuomo-1202984376/

I would imagine Seth Meyers will follow suit in due course. Not sure on Stephen Colbert and Trevor Noah who are both NY based but I'm sure they will return to the studio eventually.

Once again Conan O'Brien leads the way, as Conan was the first talk show host to leave his home and produce his show from an outside location, in Conan's case a comedy club in Los Angeles. Interesting that Fallon decided to move back to 30 Rock after watching Conan prove it can be produce safely with minimal crew.

Colbert is based in the beautiful and historic Ed Sullivan Theater, and if he does return to the theater, he will be the only production based in Broadway.
:-(
A former member
Jonwo posted:
Johnr posted:

Only Connect might have to space out the three contestants on each team, other than that, there is no studio audience anyway, it should be easy enough for them.

How would they confer?
DJ
DJGM
I'm liking the new set NBC have installed in the studio for the Tonight Show . . .

When audiences are allowed to eventually return, I guess an extended/modified version of this new set will be used.

Newer posts