The Gallery

BBC 2020 Rebrand Project

Celebrating the BBC's centenary with a stronger identity. (June 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BS
BiggieSMLZ
The rounded BBC box tends to clash when used in rectangles and squares. This is probably clearest on the news graphics; the flipper box has to be much taller than it needs to be the accommodate the BBC News logo. Taking the rounded rectangle out of the logos for News/Parliament/Breakfast would look better IMO.

Would also be nice to see a different take on the news channel graphics, instead of a replicating them.

Good point.

Well, speaking of different takes, I've just done another revamp on the lower thirds, which might be my most drastic BBC News revamp to date, which ditches the boxes altogether. Of course, so they can be seen on lighter backgrounds and stuff, I've added shadows where necessary, and I've managed to make the BBC News logo stand out a bit more. Here's a small look:

Now, I say small here because I'm only likely to proceed to do other graphics (rest of News, Breakfast, Parliament) if overall reaction is positive, but to me, given that the BBC News logo needs to stand out, and the rectangles are gone, is the best these graphics can get. Anyways, opinions are welcome! Smile
CM
cmthwtv
The rounded BBC box tends to clash when used in rectangles and squares. This is probably clearest on the news graphics; the flipper box has to be much taller than it needs to be the accommodate the BBC News logo. Taking the rounded rectangle out of the logos for News/Parliament/Breakfast would look better IMO.

Would also be nice to see a different take on the news channel graphics, instead of a replicating them.

Good point.

Well, speaking of different takes, I've just done another revamp on the lower thirds, which might be my most drastic BBC News revamp to date, which ditches the boxes altogether. Of course, so they can be seen on lighter backgrounds and stuff, I've added shadows where necessary, and I've managed to make the BBC News logo stand out a bit more. Here's a small look:

Now, I say small here because I'm only likely to proceed to do other graphics (rest of News, Breakfast, Parliament) if overall reaction is positive, but to me, given that the BBC News logo needs to stand out, and the rectangles are gone, is the best these graphics can get. Anyways, opinions are welcome! Smile

I like that. Very modern and slick, and takes up hardly any of the screen, something which the current graphics fail miserably at.
Brekkie and BiggieSMLZ gave kudos
GT
GraemeT
Could it just be a dog for news/Parliament rather than having in lower thirds??
DW
DavidWhitfield

Good point.

Hmm. I'm sorry but unless you were to use an incredibly strong 'shadow' effect underneath it all, (as in, so strong that it's effectively a translucent shape in its own right) that wouldn't be acceptably visible on a light background which isn't good enough for information displayed on a news channel. The visibility of a white DOG on a light background on, say, a music channel doesn't matter massively, but the clock and live news flipper/ticker updates is another story.
Octothorpe and BBI45 gave kudos
CA
Capybara

Good point.

Hmm. I'm sorry but unless you were to use an incredibly strong 'shadow' effect underneath it all, (as in, so strong that it's effectively a translucent shape in its own right) that wouldn't be acceptably visible on a light background which isn't good enough for information displayed on a news channel. The visibility of a white DOG on a light background on, say, a music channel doesn't matter massively, but the clock and live news flipper/ticker updates is another story.

I agree, it is smashing but it wouldn't work practically. Just because it works on this one blurry studio shot doesn't mean it's going to work everywhere.
BS
BiggieSMLZ

I agree, it is smashing but it wouldn't work practically. Just because it works on this one blurry studio shot doesn't mean it's going to work everywhere.

Right. I will try and increase the opacity of that shadow so it can.
FC
FrancesC
I'm back.

Today, I'm exploring idents. I said earlier upon the third literation's introduction that I'd be rethinking my ident strategy, and that's what I've been doing for the past eight hours. Let's start with BBC One. Seeing that the previous idents were already done by Carlton and Sky One, I decided to revisit the "globe" style, with a twist. The idea that I formulated here is the theme of a "Sphere", which would magically appear before the viewer in different parts of the country (kinda like the 1997 "Balloon" set). which starts out by showing the location, as a red spark of energy begins to expand....

...forming the sphere (in different sizes, depending on the location), as the BBC One logo forms below. There are a ton of locations for this sphere to take shape, but this ident, set in the Mam Tor area of the Peak District, could be used to introduce the news.

The Sphere reminds of the old BBC Weather. Wink
BS
BiggieSMLZ
I'm back.

Today, I'm exploring idents. I said earlier upon the third literation's introduction that I'd be rethinking my ident strategy, and that's what I've been doing for the past eight hours. Let's start with BBC One. Seeing that the previous idents were already done by Carlton and Sky One, I decided to revisit the "globe" style, with a twist. The idea that I formulated here is the theme of a "Sphere", which would magically appear before the viewer in different parts of the country (kinda like the 1997 "Balloon" set). which starts out by showing the location, as a red spark of energy begins to expand....

...forming the sphere (in different sizes, depending on the location), as the BBC One logo forms below. There are a ton of locations for this sphere to take shape, but this ident, set in the Mam Tor area of the Peak District, could be used to introduce the news.

The Sphere reminds of the old BBC Weather. Wink

Does a bit, doesn't it? Wink
BS
BiggieSMLZ
Happy Sunday, peeps! I've spent the past few days perfecting my "boxless" BBC News graphics concept, particuarly with the shadow effect so it stands out. To me, this is the peak of my news design abilities. So without further ado, here are the remaining BBC News channel graphics!

As a bonus this time around, just in case there's special branding on bulletins (example: Newsroom Live from 11am-1pm).

And here's what a slightly revamped countdown could look like. Let me just point out that I envision the music here to be more dramatic than its predecessors - a slight combo of the 2010 and 2013 countdown themes, with a decreased presence of electronic sounds (excluding the iconic beeps).

And, we can't forget about that TOTH thingy, can't we?

Sticking to news, This affects Breakfast as well.

As does World News. Now, I've had a think about clocks. Seeing as this is the international counterpart of the BBC News channel, I thought about putting in rotating time zones for any city, but I decided not to. I might do it in the future, though.

Even BBC Parliament gets the boxless treatment. This one features a sneak-peek of what the "subtitles" tag on idents could look like.

Which brings me to what I would like to call a "theory test". Here I'm gonna put these new graphics on a real background (like I did in the past) to see if it looks good on screen. This is obviously hidden, so you're gonna have to expand the box below to see the magic happen.

And, to finish off for the day...
I think for the BBC2 & BBC1 breakdown cards you should feature your curves and circles motifs possibly moving up and down. just to add some movement

...I've implemented the patterns to the BBC One and Two breakdown slides, along with BBC Four.

Opinions are 100% welcome! Smile
CM
cmthwtv
BBC Parliament one looks great. Much better than what is there currently.
AG
AxG
Would have been better to post the new aston designs on non-blurred images, to see if they would be legible.
BS
BiggieSMLZ
AxG posted:
Would have been better to post the new aston designs on non-blurred images, to see if they would be legible.

Well, that's what the "theory test" is for.

I might do the same thing for the remaining graphics, but I'll think hard about it.

Newer posts