The Newsroom

New Meridian, BBC South & South East Thread

(July 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
Fred Dinenage confirmed this evening on Meridian that he is hoping be back presenting in the studio on August 3rd.
He has been isolating at home since March, as he is 78.

Yeah. Good for him. He seemed to imply that he'd be presenting solo for a few weeks whilst Sangeeta had a well deserved break

Yes. I may be wrong, but I think all regions have just one newsreader in the studio for all bulletins at the moment (no co-presenting).

Yes, the co-presenter regions are doing what ITV Wales and ITV London do, by sharing the days between them.
ST
South Today
Fred Dinenage confirmed this evening on Meridian that he is hoping be back presenting in the studio on August 3rd.
He has been isolating at home since March, as he is 78.

Yeah. Good for him. He seemed to imply that he'd be presenting solo for a few weeks whilst Sangeeta had a well deserved break

Oh that’s a shame no return to double headed presentation. But I can’t blame Sangers for having a break!
LL
The desk doesn't look wide enough for them to social distance sensibly. Oh for the old days of Meridian Tonight when they could have a whole area of the desk to themselves.
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
Is it just me or has South East Today's set been looking extremely tired these past few years.
When do you think we'll get a new set. The white plastic is yellowing and the weather screens are all different colours.
BA
bilky asko
I've just been watching South East Today, and it seems like no video could be played, including the titles. The bulletin was cut short early and they joined the BBC News Channel until the end of the opt.

EDIT: As BBC News was doing the weather at the end, it involved Nick Miller suddenly becoming Helen Willetts.
BA
Ballyboy
South East Today set was introduced in September 2014. I like it. a improvement to the previous set. A backdrop of Tunbridge Wells would be nice
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
South East Today set was introduced in September 2014. I like it. a improvement to the previous set. A backdrop of Tunbridge Wells would be nice

It is looking quite tattered now. Yellowing desks etc. I was never a fan of the look in the first place. But it's nice that the BBC has serveral different places that the presenters can read the bulliten from (sofa, desk, screens) rather than just Meridian's desk
LE
lesmauresfr

It is looking quite tattered now. Yellowing desks etc. I was never a fan of the look in the first place. But it's nice that the BBC has serveral different places that the presenters can read the bulliten from (sofa, desk, screens) rather than just Meridian's desk

It isn't yellow at all in real-life. Look at this:
LL
The saving grace of the current SET set is the various positions they can use. I prefer it for the merged London/SE bulletins than Studio D at BH.
CR
Critique

I wonder what the oldest set-piece still in use across the regions is? I imagine that desk, which looks to be the same as the the desk installed with a new set in 2004, is up there?! Over the years they've changed the bottom half of it to red and added some glass added to the top so they could hide monitors underneath, but it looks to ultimately be the same desk that was installed a good 16 years ago now!
SP
Steve in Pudsey
So they've changed the bottom half and replaced the top...

London Lite, Critique and Markymark gave kudos
ST
South Today

I wonder what the oldest set-piece still in use across the regions is? I imagine that desk, which looks to be the same as the the desk installed with a new set in 2004, is up there?! Over the years they've changed the bottom half of it to red and added some glass added to the top so they could hide monitors underneath, but it looks to ultimately be the same desk that was installed a good 16 years ago now!

BBC Look North (NE&C) still have the same desk chair since 2002!

Newer posts