Media Websites

YouTube Gold

ClassicTV gold on youtube

NL
Ne1L C Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
On a slightly different note I recall someone on here saying their local video rental store rented out head cleaners. To me it would have made better to invest a few quid on buying one.
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
RDJ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxGuumZ4UxE

Was it this one by any chance? I was intrigued as to why you couldn't rewind and that when it did come to rewinding you had to do it via the Scan/Search function.

No it wasn't, it was just white text on a black background that said something like "When you can see this clearly, your heads are clean". I do think it was Scotch branded though. She may well still have it somewhere in a drawer, I can look next time I'm there.

This one?

Yes, that's the one!

And a quick look in a drawer shows I actually have that tape. I took most of my grandmother's tapes when I was digitising all my stuff back in 2013, I must have taken that one too.
NW
nwtv2003 Granada North West Today
A couple of new (I think as I’ve not seen them before) clips to YouTube from the morning after the Great Storm, look out for the BBC2 caption.

steve
steviegTVreturns
jonO, UKnews and Inspector Sands gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Excellent! That fills in some of the details, the emergency Breakfast Time very likely to have been from PresA with John Kettley having got there from Con fairly quickly. Power for the news studio back by 8.30 which probably makes sense with when TV-am were able to resume from Camden.
Write that down in your copybook now.
JA
I have seen that first video before, but it looks like it's been re-uploaded in better quality. That start of Breakfast Time is odd, with the non-sync cut in and out of the titles, they must have been played in from somewhere else.
IS
Inspector Sands
I have seen that first video before, but it looks like it's been re-uploaded in better quality. That start of Breakfast Time is odd, with the non-sync cut in and out of the titles, they must have been played in from somewhere else.

Possibly they were on a format that news used and wasn't a regular one that was used by pres so some makeshift solution was found. Though why they bothered with them at all I don't know

I have watched some of Open Air from that day and it was massively extended and did the bulk of the coverage, with some of its normal fare. It had a couple of breaks to allow for some sort of switching. No idea what that looked like on-air, the recordings I've seen are the studio output
BA
bilky asko Tyne Tees Look North (North East)

Weren't those titles keyed over a camera shot usually?
BU
buster London London
Interesting how they were using the Breakfast Time programme slide during incoming phone calls - improvising!
That shot of the broom cupboard is also a lot tighter than usual - I am guessing they didn't want to show the monitor, as the two-shot is a little cosy.

Assuming the BBC2 caption is taken from the same time as Breakfast Time, not sure what they were apologising for the loss of as Genome suggests they weren't due on air till 9am with Ceefax and 9.30 with Daytime on 2.
Last edited by buster on 13 July 2020 10:37am - 2 times in total
JA

Weren't those titles keyed over a camera shot usually?

Yes, you can see it here:

https://www.tvark.org/?page=media&mediaid=129040

One thing I'm actually wondering about Breakfast Time, as you can see on the TV Ark page, the Breakfast News relaunch in 1989 had to be delayed by 2 weeks and they had to continue with Breakfast Time. Though none of the videos elaborate, you just have Kirsty Wark saying "you may have read in the papers", does anyone know exactly what happened?
SP
Steve in Pudsey Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
I think it was a union dispute - possibly around shift patterns with moving from Lime Grove to TV Centre
Write that down in your copybook now.
SW
Steve Williams
I think it was a union dispute - possibly around shift patterns with moving from Lime Grove to TV Centre

They'd already moved to TV Centre by then, they did that in mid-1988. It was because of a union dispute of some kind, however - as had also affected the launch of that incarnation of Breakfast Time, which meant the original format carried on for a few more weeks as the launch was put back from October to November 1986.
BU
buster London London
Looking at those clips on TV Ark, the extended push for the new Breakfast News seems quite influenced by rolling news channels and possibly even Sky News (and to coin a cliche, very Day Today). All of which is odd because when it rolled onto the screens and was basically Newsnight in the morning.

Newer posts