The Newsroom

Shepherd Smith hired at CNBC after leaving Fox "News"

After leaving FOX "NEWS" the anchor lands at CNBC (July 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
I've only just realised that CNBC is an abbreviation for 'Consumer News Business Channel'.

Because of the peacock in the logo I always just assumed the 'NBC' part was for the network, and often wondered what the 'C' was for.

I am somewhat ashamed of my previous ignorance in this matter. Shocked

I used to think it meant 'Canadian NBC'…
WW
WW Update
I've only just realised that CNBC is an abbreviation for 'Consumer News Business Channel'.

Because of the peacock in the logo I always just assumed the 'NBC' part was for the network, and often wondered what the 'C' was for.

I am somewhat ashamed of my previous ignorance in this matter. Shocked

Well, you were part right. Yes, CNBC did refer to "Consumer News Business Channel" at first, but the last three words spelled "NBC" on purpose.
JK
JKDerry
CNBC is owned by NBC Universal Worldwide News Group. The channel launched back in 1989.
JK
JKDerry
Does Fox News Channel still use the slogan Fair and Balanced? I used to watch Fox News when Sky had it, before I dropped Sky in 2014.
GH
Ghost
Does Fox News Channel still use the slogan Fair and Balanced? I used to watch Fox News when Sky had it, before I dropped Sky in 2014.

Nope, they dropped it a few years ago. Since then they’ve had “Most Watched, Most Trusted” and “Real News. Real Honest Opinion.”
WW
WW Update
CNBC is owned by NBC Universal Worldwide News Group. The channel launched back in 1989.

Indeed. Here is a pre-launch promotional video for CNBC, which references both the channel's official name at the time -- Consumer News and Business Channel -- and the acronym's secondary implication of "Cable" and "NBC":

Last edited by WW Update on 11 July 2020 9:10pm
ST
Stuart
Indeed. Here is a pre-launch promotional video for CNBC, which references both the channel's official name at the time -- Consumer News and Business Channel -- and the acronym's secondary implication of "Cable" and "NBC"

Is that also because their original partner in the venture was Cablevision?
WW
WW Update
Indeed. Here is a pre-launch promotional video for CNBC, which references both the channel's official name at the time -- Consumer News and Business Channel -- and the acronym's secondary implication of "Cable" and "NBC"

Is that also because their original partner in the venture was Cablevision?

I haven't encountered that explanation, but it definitely seems possible, especially by analogy with MSNBC, which launched six years later as a joint venture of Microsoft and NBC.
MO
Mouseboy33
The launch logo was always my favourite.
CI
cityprod
The launch logo was always my favourite.

I was always partial to the 1995 logo myself, and was very sad when they replaced it with the peacock.

LL
London Lite Founding member
The second logo posted is the one I remember the most, from the days before CNBC Europe merged with Dow Jones. I haven't seen any pres from CNBC's 95/96 era before they moved into EBN's studios.
JE
Jeffmister
As far as international reach goes, very unlikely the Mon-Thu editions air in Asia due to Squawk Box Asia, and given the time, if CNBC take the programme in EMEA, viewership will likely be minimal

Would be shocked if Smith doesn't pop-up on CNBC's US business day programming from time-to-time in his roles as the network's 'Chief General/Breaking General News Anchor'

Newer posts