The Newsroom

Shepherd Smith hired at CNBC after leaving Fox "News"

After leaving FOX "NEWS" the anchor lands at CNBC (July 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
While it may be a change for Shep to anchor on a business channel, at least Shep won't be the odd one out on a network that had turned completely partisan all around his newscast.
Jeffmister and scottishtv gave kudos
CH
Charles
what posted:
I can’t see him moving for a while. Megyn Kelly’s and Greta Van Susteren’s moves to NBC and MSNBC respectively were both failures, with Greta off the air after a few months and Megyn lasting just over a year on the Today show. Megyn’s departure was mostly her own fault, but the ratings weren’t great for either. I think people watched them because they were on Fox News rather than their personalities.

I think this is a better fit than either of those two. Megyn Kelly as a feisty primetime FNC anchor was never going to translate well to a daytime network audience, and Greta was obviously never going to fit in at MSNBC.

CNBC is a completely different audience than either of those, and CNBC's audience is probably the closest to FNC's of any NBC property. I doubt CNBC was actively looking to launch a newscast at 7pm ET, but NBC probably figured that this would be the best place to put Shep. They likely learned from Megyn and Greta and correctly concluded that he wouldn't fare any better had they offered him an MSNBC or network slot instead.
MO
Mouseboy33
It might have been really interesting to be in the boardroom whilst the decussions where happening on where to put Shep. I would imagaine that MSNBC at 7pmET surely came into the picture. They had a hole at 7pm ET to fill when Chris Matthews decided to step down following the harassment claims. So its interesting that they decided not to slot in Shep and his show into that space. Instead they chose to insert Joy Reid as just announced a few moments ago. She has now been announced as host at 7pm ET.

Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 9 July 2020 1:48pm
GI
ginnyfan
MSNBC doesn't have an issue with rewarding someone who was not only exposed as a bigot but a liar as well.
MO
Mouseboy33
Well apparently they have moved on. She addressed what apparently happened 2 years ago. Apparently. Rolling Eyes
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43936042
MO
Mouseboy33
Back to Shep. He just gave his first on air interview this morning on CNBC about his move to the channel after completing his Non-compete clause period. He's been given the title CHIEF GENERAL NEWS ANCHOR. (Sounds goofy). Something tells me that he is not just anchoring a news programme but likely, he's probably been given some broad authority in CNBC's news space. Similar to what he was allowed to do over at "Faux News" as their breaking news anchor across all time periods. But it remains to be seen what his full role is at CNBC, but i think there is more going on behind the scenes. I dont think he would have walked into CNBC if he was just going to be an simple anchor.

Ive always liked Shep. He is untouchable when it comes to anchoring breaking news. No one can vamp for hours like him. As he's gotten older, he has become more "folksy". Which i dont like very much. He doesnt hide his southern roots anymore. Being overtly southern on tv news in the US was frowned up and for the most part it still is....well outside the South. Even in the South most reporters and anchors have that accent drilled out of them. Though some have very lite southern accents. The Southern accent limits what markets they can get work in. But even in the big Southern cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville its unlikely you will hear it. So those with the accent will circulate in small town markets and never move up.
Shep's first big station was WSVN in Miami...yes that WSVN. And he fit right in. He worked in the city when WSVN was at the height of its tabloid powers and the city was in the grip of violence. He says the station was where he developed his signature breezy, personable style. Which was encouraged by the management for its reporters and anchors to connect with the audience. You can see him in the montage below. (Check out that Miami Vice theme to end the news programme. The show was still on the air at the time) Also the WSVN endcap reminds of the BBC tower lighting bolt opening from 1990s's. LOL

Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 9 July 2020 5:38pm - 5 times in total
CI
cityprod
When it comes to anchoring news, and breaking news, Shepard Smith was one of the best out there. When I could watch Fox News, which I didn't do a lot of, his shows were regularly among my prefered choices, simply because I respected his ability to tell the news in a relaxed style, without sounding like he was dumbing it down, but also manage to maintain an air of authority about it. So few manage that balance. During breaking news he would drop his more relaxed style, but never lost the authority. One of the few American anchors on cable news that I respected as an anchor and a journalist.
LL
London Lite Founding member
I remember seeing Shep on Fox News just after 9/11 and his delivery was simply the best on the channel. By modern standards, FNC was a much more level-headed channel, despite being patriotic and Conservative skewed, the output still had a lot more impartial bulletins than today.

However, Shep even then was outstanding and was surprised he didn't move to one of the network bulletins on CBS, ABC or NBC.
Jeffmister, cityprod and valley gave kudos
CI
cityprod
I remember seeing Shep on Fox News just after 9/11 and his delivery was simply the best on the channel. By modern standards, FNC was a much more level-headed channel, despite being patriotic and Conservative skewed, the output still had a lot more impartial bulletins than today.

However, Shep even then was outstanding and was surprised he didn't move to one of the network bulletins on CBS, ABC or NBC.

Yes, it's kind of amazing just how far Fox News Channel has fallen in that regard. Whilst their "opinion" shows have always been hard right, they at least did have some legitimately good reporting back in the past. They also had some absolute stinkers though, notably the 2007 obituary of writer Kurt Vonnegut. It was around that time when Fox News really began their downhill slide from being merely a right wing biased news channel, to becoming a pure propaganda outlet for the Republican Party, to finally becoming a network of pure fiction. They do seem recently to be coming back to reality, but who knows how long that will last.
London Lite and BBI45 gave kudos
MO
Mouseboy33
Well FNC liked to the play the "Our opinion and News divisions are separate" card whenever one of their hosts said something crazy. But that horse has bolted from the stable. Their prime-time hosts are just on another stratosphere. So I imagine that factored into Shep's decision to leave the network. Im sure it couldn't have been an easy decision. Even though they pull big ratings, they have no journalistic legitimacy. FNC should during primetime at least pull the news branding and "news alersts" and "breaking news" graphics during those programmes and use some things simple like "FOX NEWS PRIMETIME" or something to separate that block of programming. But they allow the opinion programming to masquerade as news programming for decades. That was a mistake. Because its an echo chamber for opinion. But seriously none of it matters any more. Some people want to hear their opinions regurgitated back to them in some form or fashion. Be it in a newspapers or talk radio stations. FNC is a televised version of that.
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 10 July 2020 1:15pm
FC
FrancesC

Norah only took over CBS Evening News for 1 year only, ABC and NBC seem to not change their anchors…

Well FNC liked to the play the "Our opinion and News divisions are separate" card whenever one of their hosts said something crazy. But that horse has bolted from the stable. Their prime-time hosts are just on another stratosphere. So I imagine that factored into Shep's decision to leave the network. Im sure it couldn't have been an easy decision. Even though they pull big ratings, they have no journalistic legitimacy. FNC should during primetime at least pull the news branding and "news alersts" and "breaking news" graphics during those programmes and use some things simple like "FOX NEWS PRIMETIME" or something to separate that block of programming. But they allow the opinion programming to masquerade as news programming for decades. That was a mistake. Because its an echo chamber for opinion. But seriously none of it matters any more. Some people want to hear their opinions regurgitated back to them in some form or fashion. Be it in a newspapers or talk radio stations. FNC is a televised version of that.

Like MSNBC - NBC News in the daytime and MSNBC in prime time?
ST
Stuart
I've only just realised that CNBC is an abbreviation for 'Consumer News Business Channel'.

Because of the peacock in the logo I always just assumed the 'NBC' part was for the network, and often wondered what the 'C' was for.

I am somewhat ashamed of my previous ignorance in this matter. Shocked

Newer posts