TV Home Forum

How would you make the ITV Regions Better?

...whilst still keeping them owned by ITVplc

JA
JAS84 Yorkshire Look North (E.Yorks & Lincs)
UTV has UTV Live. surely the other regions should have a half an hour local chat show.

You mean UTV Life. UTV Live is their news programme.
AN
all new Phil Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
I think it’s fine as it is now, especially as they no longer try to pretend to be regional like in the horrible era where the names remained but it was all done centrally.

Agree with the comments about a regional magazine show being a good idea but I’d reduce the regional news shows accordingly, otherwise they turn into half an hour of misery.
NL
Ne1L C Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
I think it’s fine as it is now, especially as they no longer try to pretend to be regional like in the horrible era where the names remained but it was all done centrally.

Agree with the comments about a regional magazine show being a good idea but I’d reduce the regional news shows accordingly, otherwise they turn into half an hour of misery.

How do you mean? 10 Mins approx of news followed by 20 mins of magazine items?
TW
tweedledum Border (England) Look North (North East)
Didn’t the regional news have competitions?

I can't recall Calendar having one. Can't speak for the rest.
I certainly remember Lookaround having a few competitions around the time when they had the ITV Play channel, although I don't think they were as trivial as the types on those channels at the time
TG
Tim Goodwin1 Granada North West Today
Just by interest (even though this will never happen), I made a video at the start of the year about how I feel the regions would survive in the 21st Century

Skip to 18:08 to hear my blueprint

Tim Goodwin Productions:

Talking about TV idents and adverts on the web

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmvObylho6bbyOUhTwuTPbA/videos
Josh and AlfieMulcahy gave kudos
RD
RDJ Central (West) Midlands Today
Didn’t the regional news have competitions?

Pretty sure they all did. Albeit quite minor competitions compared to ITV’s fare of competitions nowadays.

Example from Anglia:

Central News South January 9th 1989 - December 3rd 2006
WH
what West Country (East) Points West
I recall Central News giving away a holiday to New York once.
SI
Siggy Anglia (East) Look East
Gotta love an Anglia News competition... here’s a classic! How to win a signed Steps CD Very Happy

LO
lobster Anglia (East) Look East
I love just how seriously they took the Steps item, it’s so firmly in Alan Partridge territory its beyond parody.

In terms of regional itv shows, I lived in the Anglia region and I always felt that during the 1990s we were fairly well served.

Although Anglia only made a couple of series, The Warehouse with Sean Mayo, Lee Hurst and Lowri Turner was great fun to watch. It had decent production values and well know names for the time, surprised it never popped up anywhere else.
File upload service: http://www.metropol247.co.uk/uploadservice
NL
Ne1L C Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
Siggy posted:
Gotta love an Anglia News competition... here’s a classic! How to win a signed Steps CD Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWN4kWB9oM0

I don't wish to sound rude but i can't stop smiling at the juxtaposition between serious news and a Steps competition!
IS
Inspector Sands
I remember an elderly aunt of mine had a cookery book in her house called 'Recipes from Look East 3'. Odd to think that Look East would have had a cookery item let alone enough for 3 books
DV
DVB Cornwall West Country (West) Spotlight
The main difficulty now is the relative changes in metropolitan area sizes and their respective major conurbations. There has to be a reasonable argument if this idea reached maturity that the Thames valley out to Oxford should be within London, similarly The Wrekin DTT transmitter covers the Manchester Travel to work area. Equally the South of Scotland would need to be firmly located within the Scotland area too. The East Midlands too really should be a wholly separate entity now. Topology of the country and the nominal regions simply doesn't work. There's an issue that Freeview should be the constraining feature too.

Newer posts