Media Websites

YouTube Gold

ClassicTV gold on youtube (February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SW
Steve Williams
A fairly insignificant junction here but it made me realise how little Granada continuity I've seen. Some regions seem over represented online - the South West for example, but despite the fairly high population of the North West either no-one recorded or kept anything

I'm glad about this, so Uncle Colin Weston and Sir Charles Foster live on only in the memories of those in Granadaland fortunate enough to have seen them at the time. You wouldn't appreciate them like we did!

It's funny you should mention the prominence of the South West online. A while back I realised that quite a lot of people on the internet who had some bloody funny ideas about television seemed to come from the South West, and I assumed it was because they grew up with TSW which had its own very idosyncratic style and was quite different from the rest of the UK.
Inspector Sands and buster gave kudos
NW
nwtv2003
Anyone who is familiar with my channel over the years would know I recorded a lot of Granada back in the day, but by this time certainly the golden era of in vision continuity had long gone sadly, but this was made up by having more idents and varying promo styles, which were well made but not a patch on in vision by comparison.

If i was 10 years older certainly I’d have made more an effort to get continuity taped and saved. Granada in terms of presentation looked basic in comparison to say Central, but we made up for it with very friendly and fondly remembered in vision announcers.

Anyway, have you got a dirty video?
BH
BillyH Founding member
I’d say Channel Television is the least-represented region online to the point where no one’s exactly sure what idents/logos were used when, unless I’ve missed some recent finds.

I remember at one point in the early-mid 2000s I contributed my one VHS clip of Grampian continuity to a few different websites as there was barely any of it online - it only exists as it was recorded by a relative in Aberdeen as I was watching Comic Relief night on BBC1 and didn’t want to miss that night’s Who Wants to be a Millionaire, so they recorded it for me (in stereo, which was still a bit of a revelation at the time) and posted the tape. The things we did before YouTube and on-demand!
JB
JasonB

Anyway, have you got a dirty video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7tNiUgXy70

I have some mouldy videos.
VM
VMPhil
Fun fact! I managed to tape over one of those cleaning tapes with a tiny bit of BBC One continuity featuring the Blackpool Tower balloon ident.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Fun fact! I managed to tape over one of those cleaning tapes with a tiny bit of BBC One continuity featuring the Blackpool Tower balloon ident.

Pretty sure that, just like regular VHS tapes, the write protection on head cleaner tapes is easy to defeat. Smile
VM
VMPhil

Pretty sure that, just like regular VHS tapes, the write protection on head cleaner tapes is easy to defeat. Smile

I have no memory of ever touching the write protect tabs on tapes! I guess I must have done that then?
TM
ToasterMan
From ADC TV Collection, here's an early CBBC link from the September 1991 relaunch, and, of much greater interest, Glenn Kinsey's final CITV link from February 12th, 1993, note how he hints at the new presentation style from the following Monday, with the goldfish bowl on the opposite left:

NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
The late great Spike Milligan's infamous acceptance speech at the 1994 British Comedy Awards:
EL
elmarko
How would recording onto a cleaning tape even work? 0_o
JA
james-2001
Depends on the type of cleaning tape, my grandparents had a dry cleaning tape which had a picture and tone on the video to let you know when the heads were clean, a tape like that you'd be able to record on.
VM
VMPhil
There was only a tiny amount of tape you could record on - the one I did cuts off during the titles for Holiday 2001.

Newer posts