TV Home Forum

Harry Hills World of TV

New show for BBC 2 (July 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Harry Hill is bringing a TV Burp type show to BBC2 according to this article. It will focus on different genres of TV

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/harry-hill-set-make-epic-22317412
natwel27, TVVT and TVMan gave kudos
RN
Rolling News
I used to love TV Burp when it was on originally but looking back on it now I find it, and Harry Hill, less funny. Maybe my sense of humour has changed now that I'm 28 rather than 17?

Will still watch though.
VM
VMPhil
I used to love TV Burp when it was on originally but looking back on it now I find it, and Harry Hill, less funny. Maybe my sense of humour has changed now that I'm 28 rather than 17?

Currently rewatching TV Burp (up to series 7) and finding it as funny as ever.
RD
RDJ
It's an archive version of TV Burp... still with the odd current material.

It's how I always felt TV Burp should have developed into, due to the reported strain and pressure of creating a show within days of the material being broadcast. I'm guessing ITV insisted TV Burp must stay using current material which is why the series stopped.

Could be the first time I watch BBC Two in quite a while.
JB
JasonB
I went to few recordings of TV Burp between 2011 & 12 and was even at the final taping in 2012. It was surprising how much he would film only for it to be scrapped completely or it would turn up on another edition weeks later. One edition I went to he made a segment completely dedicated to Amy Childs which didn't turn up on that weeks episode. One week as I was leaving the audience a cameraman just handed me a script which I happily took from him and tried to hide it as I left the studio.
DA
davidhorman
RDJ posted:
It's an archive version of TV Burp...

Bring back In Bed With Me Dinner!
Blake Connolly and Richard gave kudos
BH
BillyH Founding member
Watching a live TV Burp in January 2009 was pretty fascinating to see how the show is made, as mentioned above lots more material is filmed than actually shown. Several jokes were redone later in the show to make them funnier, celebrity appearances were filmed earlier that afternoon while the audience were queuing outside (leading to the surreal moment when David Van Day emerged from the studios and said hi to us all as we queued) and the audience were a little more rehearsed than appears on screen - one moment had to be refilmed because we all naturally cheered after a certain line (“(show) IS BACK!!”) when we weren’t meant to. The guy who played Nick Cotton was also in the audience and got the full VIP treatment from the usher seating him.

Interaction with audience was mostly handled by the now sadly late Bobby Bragg as the warmup artist - Hill would pose for photos with fans after, and give us some of his standup just before a take so the laughter would fit between edits. Funniest bit of the recording was him filming various attempts at trailers to go out across the week (starting one with “Don’t worry, I’m on next!” and quipping after recording “You should be worried if you’re watching ITV on a Friday night”) and mentioning the then-ongoing Best Of clip shows “where I look different in every shot”.

Also rather unexpectedly saw him live in 2015 when he made an unbilled surprise appearance in a local comedy club in London, testing out some new material. Main one related to the then ongoing 30th anniversary of EastEnders, summing up the show by blowing a plastic bag around the stage with a leaf blower for some time.
AN
Andrew Founding member
I do wonder how they used to film the visual gags where Harry would say something, and then the camera would pan out and the gag would be at the side or be thrown on, or someone would pop up, and there would be heavy laughter

If you were in the audience you'd see the set up to the gag waiting in the wings
BU
buster
I do wonder how they used to film the visual gags where Harry would say something, and then the camera would pan out and the gag would be at the side or be thrown on, or someone would pop up, and there would be heavy laughter

If you were in the audience you'd see the set up to the gag waiting in the wings

When I went (2010, I think) they brought one of those surprise guests on under a sheet. So you knew something was coming, but not who.
NA
natwel27
I used to watch TV Burp when it was on television and I still love it now as much as I did then. Whether this will be as high quality I have no idea, however I will definitely be watching.
JB
JasonB
Watching a live TV Burp in January 2009 was pretty fascinating to see how the show is made, as mentioned above lots more material is filmed than actually shown. Several jokes were redone later in the show to make them funnier, celebrity appearances were filmed earlier that afternoon while the audience were queuing outside (leading to the surreal moment when David Van Day emerged from the studios and said hi to us all as we queued) and the audience were a little more rehearsed than appears on screen - one moment had to be refilmed because we all naturally cheered after a certain line (“(show) IS BACK!!”) when we weren’t meant to. The guy who played Nick Cotton was also in the audience and got the full VIP treatment from the usher seating him.

Interaction with audience was mostly handled by the now sadly late Bobby Bragg as the warmup artist - Hill would pose for photos with fans after, and give us some of his standup just before a take so the laughter would fit between edits. Funniest bit of the recording was him filming various attempts at trailers to go out across the week (starting one with “Don’t worry, I’m on next!” and quipping after recording “You should be worried if you’re watching ITV on a Friday night”) and mentioning the then-ongoing Best Of clip shows “where I look different in every shot”.

Also rather unexpectedly saw him live in 2015 when he made an unbilled surprise appearance in a local comedy club in London, testing out some new material. Main one related to the then ongoing 30th anniversary of EastEnders, summing up the show by blowing a plastic bag around the stage with a leaf blower for some time.

Bobby Bragg was a brilliant warm up artist. Though he would use the same the material each time you could tell apart reactions in the audience from the regulars of the show and people who hadn’t been to the show before.
VM
VMPhil
The most interesting thing about this is that it’s going to be on BBC Two, which makes me wonder how different it will feel compared to if it had been on ITV. And I wonder what time slot it will be in?

Newer posts