TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
They can get them on screen quite quickly too - think it was only 3-4 weeks for the recent block of episode filmed. The series would have had 8-9 weeks of episodes left, though obviously losing at least three months screws up their series schedule somewhat.

They've just moved on to the next Champions of Champions series from 2016, and presumably will go for 2019 after that, but then if they had to continue repeats it would be nice if they dug back into the archives for a nostalgia fest as they did in the cricket days.
JO
Jonwo
I wonder if Michael McIntyre's Big Show could potentially return with a social distant audience if government guidance permit it. It's not ideal but an audience of 200-400 at the London Palladium could be feasible.
BR
Brekkie
I'd have thought that would be one of the later formats to return although presumably for TV events filmed in theatres with free tickets the production company books out the theatre, which is something they'd welcome now and much less of a loss than running a half empty theatre show.
JK
JKDerry
How will audience based comedy shows etc do? I imagine any sitcom or panel show will struggle to have a decent enough audience level in the studio.

The Last Leg did broadcast their last studio based show without an audience, and it just didn't feel right. However their lock down version was great. Adam might have to remain in Melbourne for a lot longer than planned, after their recent lock down brought back in again.

What about shows like Pointless and The Chase - audience wise, how will they manage?
SE
Square Eyes Founding member

What about shows like Pointless and The Chase - audience wise, how will they manage?

Daytime The Chase doesn't have an audience, only the Celeb version. So no real problem really, just need to distance the contestants.
JK
JKDerry

Daytime The Chase doesn't have an audience, only the Celeb version. So no real problem really, just need to distance the contestants.

What about Pointless? Could they simply recorded without an audience, and slip in a virtual audience, like Wipeout did in the Bob Monkhouse era?
BR
Brekkie
They can do whatever they need to.
JO
Josh
Something to keep an eye out for later at 8:58pm tonight:

Quote:
A unique collaboration sees the BBC, ITV (STV for viewers in Scotland), Channel 4 and Channel 5 come together for the first time to share a special film for all viewers at the same time across their biggest channels (21 channels in total will simultaneously broadcast the film). This rare TV moment will mark and celebrate the role UK broadcasters play across our culture.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2020/our-stories
JL
JamesLaverty1925
They can get them on screen quite quickly too - think it was only 3-4 weeks for the recent block of episode filmed. The series would have had 8-9 weeks of episodes left, though obviously losing at least three months screws up their series schedule somewhat.

They've just moved on to the next Champions of Champions series from 2016, and presumably will go for 2019 after that, but then if they had to continue repeats it would be nice if they dug back into the archives for a nostalgia fest as they did in the cricket days.

The plan is with Countdown is to resume the current series on August 10th. With as you say, the 2019 CoC following on after the current showing of the 2016 CoC. I believe they are going to extend the current Series 82, with the finals taking place at the end of the same year, as when the next series finals would have taken place.
BR
Brekkie
Thanks for that. Seems a bit long though would be almost a 9 month series if they film all episodes. I'd have thought concluding this series with filming over 2-3 weeks of filming would be more of a priority, then they can run the next series into the New Year a bit.

That said I suspect the plans have changed many times in recent years and will likely change again too. I don't know about others here too but I kind of feel like it's a question of when, rather than if, it comes to a second lockdown at the moment.

Do you know if they plan to have a dictionary corner guest?
JL
JamesLaverty1925
Countdown wiki is suggesting Dr Phil Hammond and Nina Hossain have been booked http://wiki.apterous.org/Series_82
IS
Inspector Sands
How will audience based comedy shows etc do? I imagine any sitcom or panel show will struggle to have a decent enough audience level in the studio.

Those who have complained about audience laughter in TV programmes will be happy, even though they might end up with the canned laughter they normally accuse programmes of using!

Newer posts