The Newsroom

BBC News Presenter Count 1967-2020

Presented by Rolling News and mccanmat. With cmthwtv and News96. (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JW
JamesWorldNews
BBC News at Ten 2019:

(1) Huw Edwards - 104 programmes
(2) Clive Myrie - 73 programmes
(3) Sophie Raworth - 62 programmes
(4) Reeta Chakrabarti - 30 programmes
(5) Fiona Bruce - 6 programmes
(6) Tina Daheley - 3 programmes
(7) Ben Brown - 1 programme
(-) Jane Hill - 1 programme
(-) Mishal Husain - 1 programme
(-) Simon McCoy - 1 programme

And that concludes my count for the 2010s!

You were right! 2019 showed quite a substantial swing with Fiona and Clive practically swapping places. My instinct told me that Sophie had remained the most frequent presenter (after Huw) when Fiona moved to QT. Whereas it was actually Clive.
RN
Rolling News
BBC News at Ten 2019:

You were right! 2019 showed quite a substantial swing with Fiona and Clive practically swapping places. My instinct told me that Sophie had remained the most frequent presenter (after Huw) when Fiona moved to QT. Whereas it was actually Clive.

Indeed, that's what I thought. But there were quite a few instances in 2019 when Huw would present the Ten from Westminster in the run up to (the original and actual) Brexit and the General Election, and Clive would babysit the studio at the same time as covering the late shift on the News Channel. Also Clive presented more on location throughout the year too.

2020 so far tells a different story. Sophie is currently way in the lead above Clive and not that far behind Huw.
JW
JamesWorldNews
I look forward to your Newsnight statistics! That programme has also seen many years of stability before being thrown into relative variety in terms of the sheer number of presenters and guest presenters in the extended pool.
Rolling News and Matthew_Fieldhouse gave kudos
CM
cmthwtv
BBC News at Ten 2019:

Indeed, that's what I thought. But there were quite a few instances in 2019 when Huw would present the Ten from Westminster in the run up to (the original and actual) Brexit and the General Election, and Clive would babysit the studio at the same time as covering the late shift on the News Channel. Also Clive presented more on location throughout the year too.

2020 so far tells a different story. Sophie is currently way in the lead above Clive and not that far behind Huw.

2019 was basically the Huw in Westminster and Clive in the studio show. At this point, I believe, Huw was still (mostly) doing four days.

I just did a quick count for Six and Ten this year, and the result shows that Sophie is the most prominent presenter for the 6/10. Huw’s in second, George in third.

To be fair, I remember at the start of the lockdown Sophie was basically present all the time, every time when George was off and Huw was ill. She deserves it to be fair after years of just being slapped on whatever is free.
NE
News96
In fact in the very early days of Lockdown, it was basically Sophie, Clive, Reeta and Jane holding the fort on the bulletins (whilst also remembering that the evening of lockdown being imposed was one of the few evening's Fiona has done both 6 & 10 since starting Question Time.)
RN
Rolling News
I look forward to your Newsnight statistics! That programme has also seen many years of stability before being thrown into relative variety in terms of the sheer number of presenters and guest presenters in the extended pool.

I always understood it that Newsnight first started in 1980 but I've just looked on Genome and that suggests it started in 1975 with Angela Rippon, Peter Woods and Richard Whitmore as it's presenters?
CM
cmthwtv

I always understood it that Newsnight first started in 1980 but I've just looked on Genome and that suggests it started in 1975 with Angela Rippon, Peter Woods and Richard Whitmore as it's presenters?

I remember reading somewhere that they had a trial period (presumably 75-76) using the same name. It was a different format however and shorter.
SW
Steve Williams
I remember reading somewhere that they had a trial period (presumably 75-76) using the same name. It was a different format however and shorter.

That wasn't any kind of trial. If you're trying to think of a name for a news programme on late at night, there are only so many combinations of the words "news" and "night", so it's not surprising that they used the same name for two different programmes. As the presenters suggest, it was simply a news bulletin, at night.

It'll be difficult to do any stats for the early days of Newsnight as, like Nationwide, the Radio Times would usually bill the entire presenting team every night, regardless of who actually presented - of course for the first decade there were a couple of presenters a night, before it became single-headed.
RN
Rolling News

2019 was basically the Huw in Westminster and Clive in the studio show. At this point, I believe, Huw was still (mostly) doing four days.

I just did a quick count for Six and Ten this year, and the result shows that Sophie is the most prominent presenter for the 6/10. Huw’s in second, George in third.

To be fair, I remember at the start of the lockdown Sophie was basically present all the time, every time when George was off and Huw was ill. She deserves it to be fair after years of just being slapped on whatever is free.

This is the current tally for 2020 for each individual programme up to the end of June:

BREAKFAST
(1) Charlie Stayt - 76 programmes
(2) Dan Walker - 70 programmes
(3) Louise Minchin - 69 programmes
(4) Naga Munchetty - 63 programmes
(5) Sally Nugent - 20 programmes
(6) Rachel Burden - 19 programmes
(7) Roger Johnson - 12 programmes
(8 ) Ben Thompson - 8 programmes
(9) Jon Kay - 7 programmes
(-) Chris Mason - 7 programmes
(-) Nina Warhurst - 7 programmes
(10) Martin Giessler - 2 programmes
(-) Sima Kotecha - 2 programmes
(11) Tina Daheley - 1 programme

NEWS AT ONE
(1) Jane Hill - 53 programmes
(2) Simon McCoy - 32 programmes
(3) Ben Brown - 21 programmes
(4) Reeta Chakrabarti - 19 programmes
(5) Sophie Raworth - 4 programmes

NEWS AT SIX
(1) Sophie Raworth - 47 programmes
(2) George Alagiah - 32 programmes
(3) Fiona Bruce - 21 programmes
(4) Reeta Chakrabarti - 11 programmes
(5) Clive Myrie - 8 programmes
(6) Huw Edwards - 7 programmes
(7) Tina Daheley - 2 programmes
(8 ) Mishal Husain - 1 programme

NEWS AT TEN
(1) Huw Edwards - 59 programmes
(2) Sophie Raworth - 34 programmes
(3) Reeta Chakrabarti - 17 programmes
(4) Clive Myrie - 12 programmes
(6) Tina Daheley - 1 programme
IS
Inspector Sands
BBC2 seemed to have a programme called Newsday in the mid 70s a glimpse of it here:
RN
Rolling News

That wasn't any kind of trial. If you're trying to think of a name for a news programme on late at night, there are only so many combinations of the words "news" and "night", so it's not surprising that they used the same name for two different programmes. As the presenters suggest, it was simply a news bulletin, at night.

It'll be difficult to do any stats for the early days of Newsnight as, like Nationwide, the Radio Times would usually bill the entire presenting team every night, regardless of who actually presented - of course for the first decade there were a couple of presenters a night, before it became single-headed.

Did Newsnight do anything to mark 40 years in January?
CI
cityprod
BBC2 seemed to have a programme called Newsday in the mid 70s a glimpse of it here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOvIcD9LGBY

Yep, Newsday ran from 16th September 1974 until 23 June 1978. Up until the end of August, it was partnered with a late night bulletin called News Extra. News Night came into being on 1st September 1975. That News Night lasted until 17th September 1976. At that point the late night bulletin was just branded News On 2. News Extra had originally been the replacement for BBC2's first news programme, Newsroom.

Newer posts