TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
EL
elmarko
The elves also get some input I think, from my very well-placed ex-elf source.

Edit: he gave me a couple of Sandi’s cue cards! They are one of my favourite possessions (as a set). Got all the stuff she highlighted and made notes on.
Last edited by elmarko on 3 July 2020 6:42pm - 2 times in total
IS
Inspector Sands
Isn't there a sort of convention about ordering comedy programmes in a series. They put the best episode on as the first episode and the 2nd best as the second episode. Then the 3rd best is the last episode and the more meh ones go in the middle
VM
VMPhil
I was just reading some comments about the US talk shows, and it looks like none of them will be returning any time soon to their studios, with the likes of Stephen Colbert, James Corden, Jimmy Fallon and Jimmy Kimmel resigned to the fact that they are going to be producing their shows from their homes, possibly for the remainder of 2020.

Although it looks like Conan will be getting out of the house - recording his show from an L.A. comedy club from Monday. https://deadline.com/2020/07/conan-obrien-film-tbs-late-night-show-largo-1202974533/
SW
Steve Williams
Isn't there a sort of convention about ordering comedy programmes in a series. They put the best episode on as the first episode and the 2nd best as the second episode. Then the 3rd best is the last episode and the more meh ones go in the middle

The theory is that the penultimate episode is always the worst, based on the idea that however bad it is, nobody's going to bail out with just one more to go.
JK
JKDerry
Stephen Colbert's Late Show will probably be the hardest hit for trying to return to some normality - set in the Ed Sullivan Theater, with the rest of Broadway closed until 2021, and the large seated theatre does not help a return to production.

It will be interesting to see how the rest of the talk show gang return - Conan did mention in an interview with Stephen Colbert, said as a joke but with a hint of truth there too, that television executives are looking at the recent news taping arrangements for these shows and like what they see, as it saves them huge amounts of money in the process, whilst still maintaining their ratings.
JO
Jonwo
Janet Street Porter was back in the studio on Loose Women after almost three months. I assume this will pave the way for shows like Countdown to return to recording episodes.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Were Countdown midway through filming a series when the shutdown happened? That might give them an issue with resuming if Rachel Riley is now unavailable due to maternity leave.
JO
Jonwo
Were Countdown midway through filming a series when the shutdown happened? That might give them an issue with resuming if Rachel Riley is now unavailable due to maternity leave.

I believe so although I think Rachel's availability shouldn't be an issue as she returned to Countdown after having her baby.

Social distancing shouldn't be a huge issue as they're pretty spread out anyway, I imagine they could adjust Dictionary Corner to either be just Susie or have the guest be slightly further apart.
JA
JAS84
Yeah, Rachel's maternity leave finished a few weeks before lockdown.
BR
Brekkie
Yes, she had her baby one weekend in March and was straight back in work on Monday. Very Happy
JK
JKDerry
If Countdown returns filming soon, they usual film a whole week of shows in one day, so they could get a fast foot forward in getting new editions filmed, ready to air.
JK
JKDerry
Can we safely guess that for the rest of 2020 at least, audience based shows will be audience less shows? BBC Tickets website has almost confirmed this with a statement on their front page, with Strictly confirming on their section they will not be having an audience this year.

When do you think we will see the return of some sort of studio audiences?

Newer posts