The Newsroom

Government to hold daily UK televised press briefings

Following on from the "success" of the COVID-19 briefings... (July 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DE
derek500
...and Paul Harrison left Sky News after 20 odd years to spin for Huawei. Hope he's paid well!
BA
Batavia
Surely there's only one person up for the job! Former BBC newsreader, former Conservative party candidate, former FCO and Cabinet Officer media relations lead, and current spokesman for Kate and Gerry McCann... Clarence Mitchell.

I am not being serious, but at the same time would not be surprised if he put himself forward for the job.
AS
AlexS
Stranger things do happen. Well known reporters have left the BBC and other broadcasters before for seemingly thankless PR type jobs. Martin Sixsmith worked for the Blair government whilst Michael Cole and Laurie Mayer both worked for Mohamed Fayed.

Robert Nesbit, formally Sky and BBC News, now PR for the Rail Operators Association. As I said up thread there's an overlap between journalism, politics, and PR

Although obviously the big difference between corporate PR and political PR is that those in corporate PR have a chance of returning to broadcasting in a way that those who work for the government realistically do not. For example Adam Parsons worked for Travelodge and the Olympics in between his stints at the BBC.
TI
tightrope78
A good example is Matt Barbet who works at freuds, a PR company. At the same time his contract allows him to work freelance and to present across various channels. We’ve saw him present VD on BBC News and ITVs cycling coverage.
WO
Worzel
Stranger things do happen. Well known reporters have left the BBC and other broadcasters before for seemingly thankless PR type jobs. Martin Sixsmith worked for the Blair government whilst Michael Cole and Laurie Mayer both worked for Mohamed Fayed.

Robert Nesbit, formally Sky and BBC News, now PR for the Rail Operators Association. As I said up thread there's an overlap between journalism, politics, and PR

Yes. I work in comms and marketing as my main job and then have radio as a sideline (the latter was originally going to be my career - well, that or joining the Police). The two very much overlap. I certainly wouldn't be able to do one job without the experience or skillset of the other.

In hindsight I made the right decision as to which to make a career out of, even though I have a qualification in radio. In fact most people who I know in the comms sector these days I knew from my radio work years back and have joined the industry in the last few years.
Last edited by Worzel on 7 July 2020 6:31pm
NL
Ne1L C
Keith Allen Wink (For all fans of "A Very British Coup)

22 days later

:-(
A former member
When I first read about this I thought of Tom Harwood. Lo and behold his name has been mentioned a few times and he’s tonight shared a video where he denies he’s interested. He definitely is. I’m not a gambler but I’d put money on him getting the job.
TM
TMD_24
I'm surprised Harry Cole didn't consider this role. He always seemed like a government mouthpiece every time I read his Twitter and his Sunday bits in the Mail On Sunday. (He's also ex Guido Fawkes journalist so that's why)

Anyway, the application is going up for the job today and it's worth £100,000 a year.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Any word on if the other parties are planning their own press conferences? If these government press conferences are to be more wide ranging than providing information on the pandemic response, some kind of opposition response is going to be necessary for balance.

And doing it through press conferences rather than in the Commons means that spades can be called spades. Lies, misinformation and misdirection can be called out as such without having to dress it up and pretend it was in inadvertent. This could backfire spectacularly for Boris Johnson.
Ittr and JamesWorldNews gave kudos
ST
Stuart
I don't think these are as a response to the COVID-19 situation, or intended to become pseudo-PPBs, they are effectively just allowing TV cameras into a briefing which has normally taken place with lobby journalists behind closed doors.

A Government briefing doesn't normally allow a 'right of reply' to opposition parties by a specific broadcast, just through usual media routes such as interviews or comments.

Only a national statement broadcast on TV would warrant that (as a 'Response from the Opposition'), but not something from a PR spokesman/woman.
BR
Brekkie
Confirmed the role will be funded by the Conservatives rather than the civil service, making these political briefings rather than Prime Ministerial. Arguably as such broadcasters will need to consider whether these are effectively live partisan political broadcasts rather than government briefings.
CM
cmthwtv
Confirmed the role will be funded by the Conservatives rather than the civil service, making these political briefings rather than Prime Ministerial. Arguably as such broadcasters will need to consider whether these are effectively live partisan political broadcasts rather than government briefings.

Which poses questions stated earlier i this thread:

1. Will this air during election period? It surely would advantage the government and be a dent in democracy.

2. Would broadcasters give the right of the opposition to respond? It seems unfair coverage if not.

Newer posts