TV Home Forum

Channel 4

General Discussion (November 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Wouldn't read to much in it - shows often change their name before broadcast for numerous reasons. Many of the shows listed still have working titles.
GO
gottago
C4 have announced their autumn schedule. Taskmaster is going ahead, The Steph Show moves to it's Leeds Waterfront studio (who knew Leeds had a waterfront?), Maxxx, which was dumped by E4 after one episode, gets an outing on C4, and Married At First Sight is using the couples having to live in lockdown together as a "twist".

https://www.channel4.com/press/press-pack/channel-4-reveals-autumn-2020-highlights

The gall of them saying that Taskmaster is "returning" to C4 after they did a bit of development on it years ago, implying they had a hand in making it the success it is today. The show's success is entirely down to Dave. The amount of shows on TV that have been pitched and developed for other channels is huge.
SW
Steve Williams
The gall of them saying that Taskmaster is "returning" to C4 after they did a bit of development on it years ago, implying they had a hand in making it the success it is today. The show's success is entirely down to Dave. The amount of shows on TV that have been pitched and developed for other channels is huge.

I know, the cheek of it. I actually attended an event held by the RTS a few years ago where Alex Horne, the production team and some people from UKTV discussed the development of Taskmaster, and Alex showed the original Powerpoint he made to pitch it to Channel Four. At the time one idea was that it would be stripped over a week, and would feature people like Kirstie Allsopp and Bear Grylls.

In that same event Alex also discussed the famous task that they tried for each of the first three series and which never worked, that being to destroy as much bubblewrap as you can, eventually realising that the only way you can do that is just to jump up and down on it. In the first series they had an idea that Alex would end each task by illustrating the "correct" way to do it, so he came on with a steamroller, only to find that didn't work either. Although apparently they did successfully do that task in the Swedish version, as one participant decided to set it on fire.
JO
Jonwo
I agree that it’s a bit cheeky for Channel 4 to take any credit for Taskmaster.
PF
PFML84
Nice of them to at least use their custom font now and again, which seems to have been forgotten about and the standard version is used for the news and most endboards. Waste of money having a custom font created when its hardly seen on screen.
VM
VMPhil
Another series of Married at First Sight! Because the success rate of zero couples remaining married was so enticing? I know, I know, people must find it entertaining to watch, I just can’t get over what a terrible idea it is.
BR
Brekkie
Yes, amazed that is back. The hit rate is irrelevant really but it just doesn't rate well or have any buzz, unlike First Dates which probably doesn't rate much better but seems to be enjoyed much more.
JO
Josh
The continuity into Hollyoaks has been somewhat bare these past few days. No specific continuity, just the phrase "Difficult and emotional times ahead in Hollyoaks."
JO
Josh
Speaking of Hollyoaks...

BR
Brekkie
Josh posted:
The continuity into Hollyoaks has been somewhat bare these past few days. No specific continuity, just the phrase "Difficult and emotional times ahead in Hollyoaks."

They introduce every single episode with that and return from the break too, which is really annoying and insulting. We were never nannied like that in the days I watched regularly, and doing it all the time makes the announcement irrelevant when it actually does happen. Lets viewers feel some emoition FFS.
TV
TVVT
What will replace it?
AA
Amber Avenger
TVVT posted:
What will replace it?

The Simpsons has been replacing it on the days it hasn't been airing so might be a good bet that will continue

Yes, amazed that is back. The hit rate is irrelevant really but it just doesn't rate well or have any buzz, unlike First Dates which probably doesn't rate much better but seems to be enjoyed much more.

Wonder how well the Aussie one has been doing on E4 - it seems to be top of the charts or near enough on All 4 but the UK one really does suffer in comparison where it is one of the biggest shows down under these days. The last UK series had only two couples, after one pulled out last minute and it really did look like they were struggling to fill the episodes with neither couple lasting. I thought that might end up killing off the format over here, wonder if it's had an overhaul as no matches in any series is staggeringly poor as couples stay together more often on the international versions

Newer posts