TV Home Forum

What was your favorite regional ITV station growing up?

A question asking which ITV station you grew up watching. (April 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RO
robertclark125
Which ITV company had the best 600+ service? In other words, who's was most detailed, and least detailed?
MA
Markymark
Which ITV company had the best 600+ service? In other words, who's was most detailed, and least detailed?

Westcountry I thought was the least worst, Meridian and London's were just minimal effort.
CO
Coronavision
Ghost posted:
Scottish Television launched "Lunchtime Scotland Today", which was a 30 minute programme, with the main central scotland news, the weather, and 15 minutes devoted to lifestyle topics, including a weekly legal phone in. Apparently, this was the first time anyone on the ITV network tried it. Unless, you know different, and a full 30 minute lunchtime bulletin was tried elsewhere?

Tyne Tees briefly had “North East Today” in the early 2000s, which covered lighter stories than the main programme, but I think it only lasted for about a year.

2000-2002. The programme was sub-region split, and IIRC was brought in to fill in the gap left when they were no longer able to put out a full hour of NE Tonight, which by this time had become an established way for TTT to fill up their quota without going to the effort (and cost) of making five separate half-hour local programmes per week as they had been doing earlier in the 1990s.

Regarding YTV I am pretty sure they had a lunchtime Calendar programme in the 1980s, which I think would put them ahead of STV. That said I think the Scottish TV programme was hard-news whereas the YTV show was a more fluffy Pebble Mill clone so its debatable whether the two can be compared.
Last edited by Coronavision on 6 July 2020 11:03am
RO
robertclark125
In each region, what did each 600+ magazine contain, especially where it was more detailed than someone elses? I think Scottext, which was STV, had crimestoppers, Action 2000, and previews of Take the High Road. Interestingly, it didn't feature previews of Scotsport.
BR
Brekkie
W1LL posted:
Ghost posted:
Scottish Television launched "Lunchtime Scotland Today", which was a 30 minute programme, with the main central scotland news, the weather, and 15 minutes devoted to lifestyle topics, including a weekly legal phone in. Apparently, this was the first time anyone on the ITV network tried it. Unless, you know different, and a full 30 minute lunchtime bulletin was tried elsewhere?

Tyne Tees briefly had “North East Today” in the early 2000s, which covered lighter stories than the main programme, but I think it only lasted for about a year.

YTV had Calendar Lunchtime Live too, IIRC.

Yes, Granada did too with Eamonn O'Neill though it was features rather than news based - possibly effectively taking those segments from Granada Tonight when it was cut to 30 minutes.
AN
Andrew Founding member
When the ITV Evening News started regions who did lighter magazines at 6:30 moved them to 5:30 which never really worked, as you had light features before the main regional news. It was particularly awkward for those regions who had it as an hour long programme rather than two separate half hours like Yorkshire did.

So after a while they moved that half hour to lunchtime, of course ratings dropped as it was now daytime, and we were fast approaching the era of regional non-news stuff being cut down so this didn’t last long either. I know Yorkshire used two different formats in this slot, with th second introducing the Calendar brand as the last roll of the dice.
BR
Brekkie
Have to wonder how much different ITV schedules might be now if the news changes in 1999 hadn't happened and the Early Evening News remained.
CO
Coronavision
In each region, what did each 600+ magazine contain, especially where it was more detailed than someone elses? I think Scottext, which was STV, had crimestoppers, Action 2000, and previews of Take the High Road. Interestingly, it didn't feature previews of Scotsport.

The TT one generally had a page for each of their regional programmes, PSAs, Crimestoppers etc. I think this was pretty standard. I think the content was written up at Leeds as there were a few pages shared with YTV and they often left the chevron logo on some pages, and misspelled the company name as "Tyne Tess", an error that remained for years.

The service was referred to by Tyne Tees as "TText", but this name wasn't mentioned on the pages themselves.
MA
Markymark
In each region, what did each 600+ magazine contain, especially where it was more detailed than someone elses?.

Take a look
http://teletext.mb21.co.uk/gallery/ancillary/
RO
robertclark125
Looks like Grampian was very minimal!
CO
Colm
When the ITV Evening News started regions who did lighter magazines at 6:30 moved them to 5:30 which never really worked, as you had light features before the main regional news. It was particularly awkward for those regions who had it as an hour long programme rather than two separate half hours like Yorkshire did.

It did, arguably, on UTV - they adapted UTV Life into a daily programme which kept that slot for 10 years; only lost during those 2009 cutbacks, and since revived as a weekly series.

As for the regional ancillary teletext services, UTV Plus was notorious for its content not being updated on a regular basis...
BH
BillyH Founding member

Here’s a thread of mine from years ago showing the London pages in their final few days, just before the service was removed on New Years Day 2005.

Newer posts