TV Home Forum

STV Main Thread:

STV appeal, and Autumn pres is now in use (April 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KE
kez19
Siggy posted:
kez19 posted:
The guidance about travel always had derogations for public service journalists.

Arguably STV could have set up home studios for presenters but perhaps didn't have the resources to do so.

So arguably this should have been thought out/done? I ain't no expert at all in how things work in TV land - I just take what I see on TV as face value and what I assume (I am always happy to stand corrected no matter, let alone I ain't here to cause issues to anyone but just stating opinion)

For me regardless it does come across as one rule for some and not others, whilst you mention that I do remember at least one of STV's correspondents did report from his home (Colin McKay so give credit where its due on that one)

In my opinion you’re being pretty harsh. I wouldn’t say it’s one rule for some and not for others... if that’s the case then shouldn’t all tv news programmes of been presented from home, regardless?! You need to be reasonable here.

The government clearly stated that journalists are effectively key workers and exempt from the travelling rule. They provide a public service by broadcasting the news and need to travel around to report etc. There were (and still are) reporters working from home and this has been seen on screen.

STV appeared to work out a very fair furlough policy by having a 3 week rotation of presenters from the different shows presenting bulletins. Glasgow is obviously their key hub/head office and Scotland Tonight studio is there too. Those travelling from further afield to do so would have probably been put in a hotel too.

Why am I being harsh? I call it a reality..... yet you could argue well for me as a care worker I wouldn't be allowed to travel further afield let alone go and see family but OK....

So since I am a care assistant I should be able to pop on a train to Glasgow or London and I wouldn't be stopped or would I be turned back if I am to be exempted even if I did carry a badge/letter? (if so I never thought of it maybe I should give it a go...)

So if Glasgow is the key hub for it all so what has happened to STV North/Grampian? Last time I was up in Aberdeen (good few years ago the building was there), so whats the purpose of it now? However would it not have been easier that STV North had been setup similar to Glasgow so that it can operate to or the equivalent? As for putting presenters up in a hotel plus expenses must be alot especially for 3 weeks? (I thought hotels we're closed and from some I use they are?)

I did point out above that I did see Colin McKay coming from his home in one of his reports and I also said give STV credit on that part...
SI
Siggy
kez19 posted:
Siggy posted:
kez19 posted:

So arguably this should have been thought out/done? I ain't no expert at all in how things work in TV land - I just take what I see on TV as face value and what I assume (I am always happy to stand corrected no matter, let alone I ain't here to cause issues to anyone but just stating opinion)

For me regardless it does come across as one rule for some and not others, whilst you mention that I do remember at least one of STV's correspondents did report from his home (Colin McKay so give credit where its due on that one)

In my opinion you’re being pretty harsh. I wouldn’t say it’s one rule for some and not for others... if that’s the case then shouldn’t all tv news programmes of been presented from home, regardless?! You need to be reasonable here.

The government clearly stated that journalists are effectively key workers and exempt from the travelling rule. They provide a public service by broadcasting the news and need to travel around to report etc. There were (and still are) reporters working from home and this has been seen on screen.

STV appeared to work out a very fair furlough policy by having a 3 week rotation of presenters from the different shows presenting bulletins. Glasgow is obviously their key hub/head office and Scotland Tonight studio is there too. Those travelling from further afield to do so would have probably been put in a hotel too.

Why am I being harsh? I call it a reality..... yet you could argue well for me as a care worker I wouldn't be allowed to travel further afield let alone go and see family but OK....

So since I am a care assistant I should be able to pop on a train to Glasgow or London and I wouldn't be stopped or would I be turned back if I am to be exempted even if I did carry a badge/letter? (if so I never thought of it maybe I should give it a go...)

So if Glasgow is the key hub for it all so what has happened to STV North/Grampian? Last time I was up in Aberdeen (good few years ago the building was there), so whats the purpose of it now? However would it not have been easier that STV North had been setup similar to Glasgow so that it can operate to or the equivalent? As for putting presenters up in a hotel plus expenses must be alot especially for 3 weeks? (I thought hotels we're closed and from some I use they are?)

I did point out above that I did see Colin McKay coming from his home in one of his reports and I also said give STV credit on that part...

I think you seem to have an issue with the rules in general, and it’s the government that set those not the broadcasters. There are/were guidelines in place and they were followed. If you agree or not with the rules that’s not for discussion here.

What’s happened to STV North/Grampian is the same as Edinburgh. They are there on standby (in the background) so to speak but everything on screen is coming out from Glasgow. At some point normality will return, it doesn’t make them any less important. It’s the same as any other business having two or three offices who are currently only utilising one - it’s just making the most effective use of resources using minimal staff (a lot of whom are behind the scenes).

Not doubting you on giving credit where it’s due. Just think you’re trying to delve too deeply into this. Like I said normal service will resume in due course.
KE
kez19
Siggy posted:
kez19 posted:
Siggy posted:

I think you seem to have an issue with the rules in general, and it’s the government that set those not the broadcasters. There are/were guidelines in place and they were followed. If you agree or not with the rules that’s not for discussion here.

What’s happened to STV North/Grampian is the same as Edinburgh. They are there on standby (in the background) so to speak but everything on screen is coming out from Glasgow. At some point normality will return, it doesn’t make them any less important. It’s the same as any other business having two or three offices who are currently only utilising one - it’s just making the most effective use of resources using minimal staff (a lot of whom are behind the scenes).

Not doubting you on giving credit where it’s due. Just think you’re trying to delve too deeply into this. Like I said normal service will resume in due course.

However I have been abiding by the rules set out by the government(s) in general and I understand them clear as day, as I also stated I was only giving an opinion let alone surprised you can't question things but OK fine .... just draw a line under it...
UN
Universal_r
Does anyone know what time stv starts because it seems to just randomly change during Lorraine when Lorraine starts we still have itv but then it just changes mid-show.

is that a new thing with the itv branding in the Mornings because I can’t remember that before.

And wouldn’t it have made sense to use the north studios for the news because haven’t they upgraded to HD cameras the quality from Glasgow and Edinburgh is very poor.
KE
kez19
Does anyone know what time stv starts because it seems to just randomly change during Lorraine when Lorraine starts we still have itv but then it just changes mid-show.

is that a new thing with the itv branding in the Mornings because I can’t remember that before.

And wouldn’t it have made sense to use the north studios for the news because haven’t they upgraded to HD cameras the quality from Glasgow and Edinburgh is very poor.

I believe its meant to be the 9.25am junction for the switchover from ITV to STV?
GM
Gary McEwan
kez19 posted:

I believe its meant to be the 9.25am junction for the switchover from ITV to STV?

Glasgow is now in HD. The camera's we're upgraded a few months ago.

It's always been 9:25am for STV to start broadcasting. GMB with Lorraine seems to go for a break and then STV takesover.
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
How would I watch STV whilst situated in Southern England. Just really interested in the presentation and switching aspects at Scottish
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
How would I watch STV whilst situated in Southern England. Just really interested in the presentation and switching aspects at Scottish

If you have Sky+HD you can add it as an "Other Channel" - think SkyQ is the same and Freesat is the same principle.

All the details are here:
https://rxtvinfo.com/itvstvutv-satellite-manual-tuning
UN
Universal_r
kez19 posted:

It's always been 9:25am for STV to start broadcasting. GMB with Lorraine seems to go for a break and then STV takesover.

Thanks, is their a reason why they don’t start at 5am? and why do they have itv nightscreen on until about 3am when ITV has teleshopping?
AM
Alfie Mulcahy

If you have Sky+HD you can add it as an "Other Channel" - think SkyQ is the same and Freesat is the same principle.

All the details are here:
https://rxtvinfo.com/itvstvutv-satellite-manual-tuning

Thanks! But alas I'm a humble YouView user
GM
Gary McEwan
kez19 posted:

Thanks, is their a reason why they don’t start at 5am? and why do they have itv nightscreen on until about 3am when ITV has teleshopping?

It's historically all to do with the ITV Breakfast licence. More knowledgeable people please feel free to jump in, but something in the back of mind is saying that ITV Breakfast is classed as a channel in it's own right or something to that effect.
HC
Hatton Cross
Like TV-am before it, ITV Breakfast is a national franchise/licence in its own right, broadcasting 6.00-9.25am seven days a week.

So, technically none of the regional franchise holders can transmit their own programmes in the national breakfast franchise holders airtime.

Newer posts