The Gallery

Merit

Former designs for a future channel. Now retired. (June 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MO
Mockah
Decided to make the background of the Gallery ident a bit brighter to make the logo stand out a bit more.

CA
Capybara
Afraid this feels a bit low-effort to me. Huge text box with what I suspect is a standard PowerPoint font with a small ITV logo on top that looks out of place the way you've aligned it. Slapped on top of an image that probably took you about 30 seconds to find on Google. Nothing wrong with PowerPoint if you learn how to use it effectively for design, but this is a bit naff at the moment. Colour-matching the logo with the background is also an old concept that has been done away with now, and is unoriginal. None of the mock really works for me, I think a new concept is due here. 2/5

(I sound so mean there, sorry that's not my intention lol)
lukeshep, UBox and Mockah gave kudos
MO
Mockah
Afraid this feels a bit low-effort to me. Huge text box with what I suspect is a standard PowerPoint font with a small ITV logo on top that looks out of place the way you've aligned it. Slapped on top of an image that probably took you about 30 seconds to find on Google. Nothing wrong with PowerPoint if you learn how to use it effectively for design, but this is a bit naff at the moment. Colour-matching the logo with the background is also an old concept that has been done away with now, and is unoriginal. None of the mock really works for me, I think a new concept is due here. 2/5

(I sound so mean there, sorry that's not my intention lol)

It's okay. Thanks for the criticism. You've made me realize time, work and effort are what create a good mock. This is not one of them. Thank you yet again for the criticism. I'll work harder and be more original.
Last edited by Mockah on 2 July 2020 4:01pm
MO
Mockah
Just a heads up, if you want to create a mock for 'Merit', go right ahead!
Last edited by Mockah on 6 July 2020 6:48am
JL
J. Lyric
What is the purpose of Merit exactly?

Do you mean the mock or the channel?

If you're talking about the channel, we don't exactly know. All we know as of right now is that it has a licence to launch on Freeview.

Somebody on Twitter thought the name was synonymous with documentaries.

I believe that it's a BBC Four type channel.

So this is a new channel that is really coming out?

No, it's not.

This is a mock.
CA
Capybara

Do you mean the mock or the channel?

If you're talking about the channel, we don't exactly know. All we know as of right now is that it has a licence to launch on Freeview.

Somebody on Twitter thought the name was synonymous with documentaries.

I believe that it's a BBC Four type channel.

So this is a new channel that is really coming out?

No, it's not.

This is a mock.

ITV applied for a licence for Merit in May. The channel is real and will be coming, but not with this presentation (which is the mock).
BR
Brekkie
I actually quite like what this has developed into - yes, it's a logo over stock footage but the logo looks pretty good in this form and I think it works well and could potentially be stunning.
MO
Mockah
I actually quite like what this has developed into - yes, it's a logo over stock footage but the logo looks pretty good in this form and I think it works well and could potentially be stunning.

Thank you so much! It means so much coming from you. Very Happy

I'm thinking of changing the font to something else, any suggestions?
CN
ClarkNarvas
I don't really think the logo would be suited for something that is competing with BBC Four, it looks like a logo that would be used for a fashion channel or a little bit more mature ITV Be.
MO
Mockah
I don't really think the logo would be suited for something that is competing with BBC Four, it looks like a logo that would be used for a fashion channel or a little bit more mature ITV Be.

Do you have any font suggestions?
BR
Brekkie
Don't change the font - that is what makes it work.
MO
Mockah
Don't change the font - that is what makes it work.

Okay, thank you.

Newer posts