TV Home Forum

What was your favorite regional ITV station growing up?

A question asking which ITV station you grew up watching. (April 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BL
bluecortina
According to someone I know who worked at Central there the transmission area was taken out of line between 6 and 9:25 and the opt was done just by the news studio.

That would explain why teletext disappeared during the opts, then.

Teletext with a capital T shouldn't have as that was put in at the transmitters. The 'ancillary' service on p600 might have as that will have been GMTVs during those times

Indeed, GMTV’s local teletext originated in TLS’s bays in London. I see no reason why the remote ITV sites did not bridge it across? Unless it involved money building something to do it.
MA
Markymark
That would explain why teletext disappeared during the opts, then.

Teletext with a capital T shouldn't have as that was put in at the transmitters. The 'ancillary' service on p600 might have as that will have been GMTVs during those times

Indeed, GMTV’s local teletext originated in TLS’s bays in London. I see no reason why the remote ITV sites did not bridge it across? Unless it involved money building something to do it.

On Meridian their own '600' pages appeared I think during GMTV hours, but with a GMTV branded header row I think? Weekends I recall they were the GMTV pages, so I suspect because there were no local news opts weekends, Meridian bypassed GMTV away from their own tx chains?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I believe at first the 600 magazine switched to GMTV then back at 9.25. After a while they managed to bridge it so only page 600 switched, and GMTV's pages from 640-649 appeared alongside the regional contractor's pages on a 24 hour basis.
RO
robertclark125
On the topic of the regional news on GMTV, this is a couple of Tyne Tees bulletins, taken in the early days of GMTV. The late Andrew Friend is the presenter.

JA
james-2001
Did the person who make that video make those captions, or are they taken from some internal Tyne Tees logging VHS or something?
VA
valley
Did the person who make that video make those captions, or are they taken from some internal Tyne Tees logging VHS or something?

Looks like the captions have been generated from a Courtyard VT clock (or similar), so I would be willing to guess at the latter.
JT
jolly turnip

Looks like the captions have been generated from a Courtyard VT clock (or similar), so I would be willing to guess at the latter.

Just about every region opt outs are in this format from the same day on You Tube
IS
Inspector Sands
Yes that same uploader has multiple GMTV local news opts from the same day. Presumably some sort of compilation put together by them so they could see what they local news looks like a few months in.

The caption says ex-VHS so presumably they got them all to record the bulletins one morning and send them in. Then someone had the job of comping them together.

That's crying out for a multi-video split screen type thing
RO
robertclark125
Scottish Television launched "Lunchtime Scotland Today", which was a 30 minute programme, with the main central scotland news, the weather, and 15 minutes devoted to lifestyle topics, including a weekly legal phone in. Apparently, this was the first time anyone on the ITV network tried it. Unless, you know different, and a full 30 minute lunchtime bulletin was tried elsewhere?
GM
Gary McEwan
Scottish Television launched "Lunchtime Scotland Today", which was a 30 minute programme, with the main central scotland news, the weather, and 15 minutes devoted to lifestyle topics, including a weekly legal phone in. Apparently, this was the first time anyone on the ITV network tried it. Unless, you know different, and a full 30 minute lunchtime bulletin was tried elsewhere?

Nope I do believe it was the first on the ITV Network to do it. I always remember it used to be fronted by Kirsty Young and Angus Simpson in the early days. It also used to a have handover to ITN for what was coming up on the Early Evening News.

It continued right up until the early 2000s.
GH
Ghost

Tyne Tees briefly had “North East Today” in the early 2000s, which covered lighter stories than the main programme, but I think it only lasted for about a year.
WL
W1LL
Ghost posted:

Tyne Tees briefly had “North East Today” in the early 2000s, which covered lighter stories than the main programme, but I think it only lasted for about a year.

YTV had Calendar Lunchtime Live too, IIRC.

Newer posts