The Gallery

BBC 2020 Rebrand Project

Celebrating the BBC's centenary with a stronger identity. (June 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RF
rfr1
I like how much effort you've put into this and the perseverance in making it work. For that I can only applaud you.

The endboards and idents are all fantastic and are an improvement over what we have, and while I think the BBC One 'sphere' could do with some work (I don't think the "spark of energy" form-up works - maybe use the sphere in a similar way to the 2005 BBC Weather glass orb and have some BBC Two-esque soundscapes overlaid?). The thing I can't get over, however, is the main piece of this mock. I really don't like your BBC logo.

If any iteration of this mock worked best, it was the first iteration with a hard-edged box - at least that represents some kind of evolution from the 1997 Lambie-Nairn logo - but the rounded shape of your logo, colour scheme and shadows all remind me of an iPhone app, and, far from being a stronger identity as your thread blurb describes, it's nowhere near as iconic as the existing design.

I think if the BBC were to rebrand, it would be quite subtle and include the three boxes as per the present design, but with Reith instead of Gill Semibold, as per this mock by bilky asko made last year which I personally quite like:

Regarding the BBC News, I don't like the updated graphics and would need to see more of the updated regional titles concept before I could comment.
Octothorpe, lukeshep and BiggieSMLZ gave kudos
BS
BiggieSMLZ

I'm not keen on the corporate logo, and it's not because you haven't tried - I just think it's too much of a departure from what's gone before it and loses its BBCness (not to be confused with oneness!). It could now be any old 79p app in the app store as opposed to a globally recognised broadcaster.

I'm not really sure how you could tinker with the logo (and perhaps thats why they didn't themselves? Remember there's a cost to go with all this, signage being very expensive, identity cards, mugs etc - more than just a logo on screen). The blocks look alien with Reith in them, you've sacked off the blocks in favour of a Web2.0 icon. The BBC One logo you've devised looks equally weak.

There are fundamental problems with the design across the BBC right now (I think we're back in 1996 when it comes to logos) and you've still not fixed that.

The other on screen elements I like though, except maybe the regional news titles which seem a little cheap looking.

3/5

Understandable. Razz

rfr1 posted:
I like how much effort you've put into this and the perseverance in making it work. For that I can only applaud you.

The endboards and idents are all fantastic and are an improvement over what we have, and while I think the BBC One 'sphere' could do with some work (I don't think the "spark of energy" form-up works - maybe use the sphere in a similar way to the 2005 BBC Weather glass orb and have some BBC Two-esque soundscapes overlaid?). The thing I can't get over, however, is the main piece of this mock. I really don't like your BBC logo.

If any iteration of this mock worked best, it was the first iteration with a hard-edged box - at least that represents some kind of evolution from the 1997 Lambie-Nairn logo - but the rounded shape of your logo, colour scheme and shadows all remind me of an iPhone app, and, far from being a stronger identity as your thread blurb describes, it's nowhere near as iconic as the existing design.

I think if the BBC were to rebrand, it would be quite subtle and include the three boxes as per the present design, but with Reith instead of Gill Semibold, as per this mock by bilky asko made last year which I personally quite like:

Regarding the BBC News, I don't like the updated graphics and would need to see more of the updated regional titles concept before I could comment.

Good Point. I have experimented on another concept, actually! That one does feature the iconic blocks (in Reith of course)! With that concept, I've used squares for most channels and brands, but I wasn't sure on how they could fit into idents, but all of that is for another topic. Wink
Last edited by BiggieSMLZ on 5 July 2020 8:15pm - 2 times in total
GT
GraemeT
To change the current blocks to have Reith is just a waste of time and nearly everyone wouldn’t notice - sorry.

Something new, or not at all imo
Mockah, LondonViewer and Looking Glass gave kudos
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
To change the current blocks to have Reith is just a waste of time and nearly everyone wouldn’t notice - sorry.

But the current font in the blocks looks out of place especially on the news. Having them in Reith really makes it seem more modern - without changing everything people know as the BBC
LG
Looking Glass

I agree with this, I think it would feel massively underwhelming to have a rebrand and everything looks near-identical. I get that we’re thinking what would BBC actually do which would likely be changing the font to Reith and playing it safe but this is the space to be creative and think outside the box. I don’t think the BBC in Reith looks any different, let alone modern.

I’d rather see creativity and thought than minor changes just because it seems more realistic.
BS
BiggieSMLZ

I agree with this, I think it would feel massively underwhelming to have a rebrand and everything looks near-identical. I get that we’re thinking what would BBC actually do which would likely be changing the font to Reith and playing it safe but this is the space to be creative and think outside the box. I don’t think the BBC in Reith looks any different, let alone modern.

I’d rather see creativity and thought than minor changes just because it seems more realistic.

Yeah, me too. That’s what us folks call uniformity, as I’ve pretty much mastered very quickly early on in this process. Wink
BS
BiggieSMLZ
I'm back! Today, I have here some more graphics from BBC Sport, as I teased a few days earlier. I've got two endboards here: One for Match of the Day, and the other for any generic sports coverage, with snooker here as an example.

I've also done a Premier League table. This one required the most precise alignment, so I put a lot of effort into that one.

Sports aside I've done another ECP too. This one focuses on the BBC Action Line.

I've also tried to take most the feedback regarding in and have resulted with another bunch of revised lower thirds. Hopefully, I won't have to make any more tweaks, but for now, I'm gonna proceed here with caution.

BBC Breakfast follows the same course too.

As does BBC Parliament.

And to cap off, for a bit of fun, a breakdown slide for BBC One... and BBC Two.

Once more, opinions are welcome! Smile
Custard56, lukeshep and Josh gave kudos
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
I think for the BBC2 & BBC1 breakdown cards you should feature your curves and circles motifs possibly moving up and down. just to add some movement
Octothorpe and BiggieSMLZ gave kudos
BS
BiggieSMLZ
I think for the BBC2 & BBC1 breakdown cards you should feature your curves and circles motifs possibly moving up and down. just to add some movement

Yeah, good point! I might work on that.
lukeshep, Alfie Mulcahy and DeMarkay gave kudos
CA
Capybara
I'm not a fan of the way the clock on BBC News is bigger than everything else, maybe make the clock smaller and slightly increase the size of the straps and flipper?
BS
BiggieSMLZ
I'm not a fan of the way the clock on BBC News is bigger than everything else, maybe make the clock smaller and slightly increase the size of the straps and flipper?

Hmm... I might fix that.
AA
Aaron_2015
The rounded BBC box tends to clash when used in rectangles and squares. This is probably clearest on the news graphics; the flipper box has to be much taller than it needs to be the accommodate the BBC News logo. Taking the rounded rectangle out of the logos for News/Parliament/Breakfast would look better IMO.

Would also be nice to see a different take on the news channel graphics, instead of a replicating them.

Newer posts