The Newsroom

BBC NEWS CUTS

Cuts reactivated - P43 onwards (January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AS
AlexS
The blog order order has an article apparently off the back of a BBC worker regarding voice-over announcers for England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. There are eight all reading the same thing and how it is a waste of money.

One, that's a right wing site with a known anti-BBC bias.

Two, other than regional news, the national continuity announcers are the best thing they do on the main channels. I would say, it's a shame that the english regions don't have seperate continuity announcers for the evening shift, but the bean counters at the BBC put paid to that back in 1980, and it isn't likely to come back. It's one thing that connects the audience to the main BBC channels in a better way than having just one national continuity announcer for the UK as a whole.

By that token, Global are wasting money having multiple feeds for all their local transmitters, when they could spend far less and just have one feed go out nationwide on all their Heart branded stations. But, of course, the right would argue that Global should do that if they want to, but the BBC shouldn't be allowed to. The hypocrisy of their whole argument just bores me.

If the best thing on any channel is its continuity announcements something has gone seriously wrong.
DB
dbfriends Founding member
From some reports it does look like there will be wholesale changes to the way BBC News commissions stories and programmes share material.

An observation made by many senior executives and presenters is how major BBC News programmes regard each other as their biggest rivals, rather than other broadcasters.

Eddie Mair once wrote how the PM production team would obscure the identity of guests on its running orders to stop other BBC programmes from knowing in advance who was appearing.

It’s also often played out on air - Newsnight used to revel in a Today presenter making a faux pas. Some presenters have also refused to appear on certain programmes or the News Channel. It does look like this will all change.

Some of this may be for the better. BBC NI has done a lot of good reporting that gets ignored by the national programmes.

If the BBC really does want to show how deep the cuts will be, all it has to do is propose the closure of 198 LW. There would be absolute outrage.
OM
Omnipresent
Sad to see Marie Ashby, who has long been a presence in the East Midlands having also presented on Central, leaving the BBC:

MA
Meridian AM
Sad to see Marie Ashby, who has long been a presence in the East Midlands having also presented on Central, leaving the BBC:

That js a shame. She was a main presenter on Central News from the mid 90s until 2005. And she has been at the BBC since then. She is a very good presenter and journalist.
I remember watching her on the newly refreshed Central News when it was given the new music and graphics at the end of 2000. I thought the opening was great for a regional programme àt that time:

https://www.tvark.org/?page=media&mediaid=95449
HA
harshy Founding member
So these bbc news cuts that must mean the end of Harry Gration on Look North?
JW
JamesWorldNews
So these bbc news cuts that must mean the end of Harry Gration on Look North?

Sadly, that has just become a distinct possibility.
Ghost, japitts and NicB1971 gave kudos
PA
Parker
They could cut Levy from Look Hull and no one would notice as there is never any news on anyway Wink
NE
Newsroom
The madness of this is beyond comprehension. I foresee a massive backlash over this from staffers and viewers alike and probably another embarrassing U Turn from the idiotic decision makers at the BBC.

Simon McCoy hit the nail on the head. This pandemic has shown without doubt how essential regional news is to the country, slashing such a huge number of people and making such drastic changes just doesn’t add up.

Pathetic!
TR
trevormon
Helen Thomas, the head of BBC England, who is behind all these cuts does seem a little confused about the justification for them.

She says: "We're going to modernise our offer to audiences in England by making digital a central part of everything we do."

Hasn't anyone told her that all her TV services, whether terrestrial, satellite.or cable, have been digital since 2012?

Perhaps she is confusing it with High Definition which is where the English Regions are definitely lagging behind the rest of the industry. Although the BBC1 HD channel has been around for years they still have to put up an apology caption every time the regional news comes on because they can't offer it in HD. Instead they ask viewers to retune to the old BBC1 SD channel instead. (Both channels which are digital)

It might be time to break the news to Helen that many people have been listening to her local radio services via DAB for a while now too.
Last edited by trevormon on 5 July 2020 11:41am
GeekyJames, Meridian AM and Newsroom gave kudos
ST
Stuart
Helen Thomas, the head of BBC England, who is behind all these cuts does seem a little confused about the justification for them.

She says: "We're going to modernise our offer to audiences in England by making digital a central part of everything we do."

I think perhaps she's just drifted into 'management speak'. Many large organisations use the term 'digital' to refer to a policy which makes efficiencies through technology and smarter working practices.

'NHS Digital' and 'DWP Digital' are divisions which follow that ethos, but certainly aren't broadcasting anything.

However, I'm not sure how technology can really replace some of your on-screen talent. It's just a convenient excuse for slashing jobs, which is used everywhere.
:-(
A former member
The madness of this is beyond comprehension. I foresee a massive backlash over this from staffers and viewers alike and probably another embarrassing U Turn from the idiotic decision makers at the BBC.

Simon McCoy hit the nail on the head. This pandemic has shown without doubt how essential regional news is to the country, slashing such a huge number of people and making such drastic changes just doesn’t add up.

Pathetic!

I’m sorry - the madness of what exactly? What should these “idiotic decision makers” decide instead?
BR
Brekkie

I think perhaps she's just drifted into 'management speak'. Many large organisations use the term 'digital' to refer to a policy which makes efficiencies through technology and smarter working practices.

'NHS Digital' and 'DWP Digital' are divisions which follow that ethos, but certainly aren't broadcasting anything.

However, I'm not sure how technology can really replace some of your on-screen talent. It's just a convenient excuse for slashing jobs, which is used everywhere.

Yes, "Going Digital" seems to be a phrase used with every technological development. Pretty much every Olympics since 2000 has been branded the "first digital" Olympics due to the developments that comes along every few years from digital TV to interactive TV to mobile apps to over the top streaming to social media etc.

Sadly these cuts were coming anyway, regardless of the last few weeks, and on top of that in many industries where staff have been furloughed and companies have survived without them many such culls will be made moving forward.

Newer posts