TV Home Forum

Alan Carr's Epic Gameshow

Pretty much a retake on Gameshow Marathon in my opinion. (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CI
cityprod
What we can learn from this exercise is that you can't really 'supersize' these gameshows.

They worked in their original form in their 30 minute slot at the time of broadcast.

It's nice for nostalgia but if it is a pilot for a series I wouldn't want any of them to come back in this form.

The Price Is Right is the only one you could run for an hour, that's how long the original US version runs for, and if I remember correctly, the original UK version with Leslie Crowther also ran for an hour as well.
JO
Jon
What we can learn from this exercise is that you can't really 'supersize' these gameshows.

They worked in their original form in their 30 minute slot at the time of broadcast.

It's nice for nostalgia but if it is a pilot for a series I wouldn't want any of them to come back in this form.

The Price Is Right is the only one you could run for an hour, that's how long the original US version runs for, and if I remember correctly, the original UK version with Leslie Crowther also ran for an hour as well.

As did the Joe Pasquale version in the end. As a format it’s not really one of my favourites.

To be honest I think most can run to at least at 45 minutes which is most likely to happen if any of them get a revival. I also think Take Your Pick worked well enough over an hour slot and I unlike some others on here thought the new part worked well enough and fitted in well with the rest of the game.
JO
Johnr
Interesting video posted by someone on Digital Spy, not so much the video (although quite an interesting tactic!) - but the contestant who uploaded it has been very active in the comments and confirmed that they received a cash equivalent of the prizes shown

BR
Brekkie
I think getting the level of prizes right is key to make any gambles worth it, and on the whole the level of prizes available has dropped now compared to a decade or so ago when they perhaps could have had more "epic" prizes worth £50k+. The Price is Right for example had a showcase around the same level as many of the 90s, which counting for inflation would be less.
J4
j4ever24
Jon posted:
I don’t think they’ve mentioned any of the previous presenters so far? Unless they mentioned Brucie on PYCR, I only watched that towards the end?

they did

9 days later

RD
RDJ
Only just caught up on this and surprised to find that it was another Play Your Card Right this weekend, but a civilian version.

I didn’t realise we were due another PYCR outing. But I would say it’s still Alan’s strongest gameshow performance barring Bullseye which we’re still yet to see.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I think getting the level of prizes right is key to make any gambles worth it, and on the whole the level of prizes available has dropped now compared to a decade or so ago when they perhaps could have had more "epic" prizes worth £50k+. The Price is Right for example had a showcase around the same level as many of the 90s, which counting for inflation would be less.

Yes but we rarely do "epic" prizes in this country on our gameshows. Just because America does it bigger and better doesn't mean we have to. We've always done gameshows as more of a day out at a studio somewhere, a nice experience, we got to meet Jim/Bob/Alan/Nick/Roy and if we win a washing machine or a toaster its nice but we didn't come along specifically to win the washing machine...
NJ
So Bullseye's up tonight.

As expected, a flying Bully around a dartboard for the titles, and what sounds like a semi-decent rendition of the better known theme introduced in the mid 1980s, but I suspect it has roots in the 2006 version, since the original music files went walkies after 1995.

Interesting to note the look of Bully drifts further away from the original design. He looks more and more "plastic" with every revision.
BR
Brekkie
I don't remember Bullseye ever being so boring.
DJ Dave and robharrison gave kudos
JO
Jonwo
I don't remember Bullseye ever being so boring.

Out of all the shows on Epic Gameshow, it hasn't aged well as a format. Even Alan doesn't seem that into it.
TV
iloveTV1
It sounds like they had two different endgames that they wanted to use, but couldn’t decide to so hmm used both.

If this (Bullseye) gets a series, I expect it would be cut to 45 mins.
NJ
Way to kill a end game, replace "101 in 6 darts" with "hit this rotating red bit on this board". Four times over. I'd rather have had the classic 101 in 6.

Newer posts