The Newsroom

Government to hold daily UK televised press briefings

Following on from the "success" of the COVID-19 briefings... (July 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DE
derek500
I'm surprised to learn today that Downing Street already has an official post of Press Secretary, who is currently Rob Oxley. Why can't he front them?

If No.10 think this will be screened live everyday on the news channels they can think again.

Has he broadcasting experience? Isn't this going to be on the same lines as the current daily lobby briefings where journalists ask questions to a Government spokesperson?

I suppose a hybrid anchor/spokesperson is what they're looking for. Joey Jones, Alex Deane or Poppy Trowbridge would fit the bill.
TI
tightrope78
I'm surprised to learn today that Downing Street already has an official post of Press Secretary, who is currently Rob Oxley. Why can't he front them?

If No.10 think this will be screened live everyday on the news channels they can think again.

In the UK role of Press Secretary is a position held by an impartial civil servant. The most famous office holder was Bernard Ingham who was Mrs Thatcher’s Press Secretary. He became as much known as a Thatcherite and a believer in her policies as any of her own ministers. The irony was that Ingham was a lifelong Labour supporter and was as equally robust when working for the previous Labour government. He was so good at his job that he became synonymous with her, irrespective of his own views. A brilliant example of why our impartial civil service works so well.
AndrewPSSP and Night Thoughts gave kudos
MA
Markymark
It seems that the daily coronavirus press briefings have been such as success that they are returning as an open-ended series in the Autumn:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53275395

Read elsewhere that they are looking for a female 'household name' to host the briefings. Guess that's Laura Kuenssberg then?

Could be Tess Daly
VA
valley
It seems that the daily coronavirus press briefings have been such as success that they are returning as an open-ended series in the Autumn:

Read elsewhere that they are looking for a female 'household name' to host the briefings. Guess that's Laura Kuenssberg then?

Could be Tess Daly

You think she’d voluntarily give up £350k+ for Strictly? I doubt the Downing Street role will pay that...
MC
mccanmat
The government spokesman was asked earlier if Richard Madeley is being considered for it.....
CM
cmthwtv
The government spokesman was asked earlier if Richard Madeley is being considered for it.....

Christ. My days of viewing the news channel at 5pm may be numbered.

That’s another point. Schedules will need a regig. And good luck if it clashes with the 1 or 6. News Channel might require a change.

Anyhow. Back on subject.
CM
cmthwtv
If you’re up for a laugh...

AS
AlexS

Of that lot I reckon Jayne Secker is about the best bet (in terms of likelihood against odds)
DP
DPE123

Goodness me, some ridiculous names in there... Andrew Neil at 20/1? The man who Boris refused to let interview him at any cost 6 months ago?? And Fiona Bruce??! One of the BBC's top earners, how is the No 10 press office going to match her salary??! The bookies are having a laugh on this one.
AS
AlexS

Goodness me, some ridiculous names in there... Andrew Neil at 20/1? The man who Boris refused to let interview him at any cost 6 months ago?? And Fiona Bruce??! One of the BBC's top earners, how is the No 10 press office going to match her salary??! The bookies are having a laugh on this one.

I would imagine the only people that would be interested in such a job are those who have been sidelined (or are about to be made redundant) by their current employer or are coming towards the end of their careers. The downing street job will come with very little job security especially beyond the next election and whoever takes it will make themselves basically unemployable within the broadcast media which relies heavily on the perception of impartiality, which makes it a bad idea for anyone who has long term prospects with their current employer. Clearly if the person is facing having no job anything is better than nothing and someone who is due to retire in the not to distant future may well be interested in trying something different for the latter part of their career without the need to protect their future options. I suppose the job may also suit somebody who would like to become a tory politician in the future as there is a reasonable chance that someone who successfully does the role for a few years would be nominated for the lords as part of the PMs resignation list.
Last edited by AlexS on 4 July 2020 2:58am
MA
Markymark

Could be Tess Daly

You think she’d voluntarily give up £350k+ for Strictly? I doubt the Downing Street role will pay that...

Don't be silly, with no SCD she'll be furloughed on the capped maximum of 2.5k per month
MA
Markymark
AlexS posted:

I would imagine the only people that would be interested in such a job are those who have been sidelined (or are about to be made redundant) by their current employer or are coming towards the end of their careers. The downing street job will come with very little job security especially beyond the next election and whoever takes it will make themselves basically unemployable within the broadcast media which relies heavily on the perception of impartiality, which makes it a bad idea for anyone who has long term prospects with their current employer. Clearly if the person is facing having no job anything is better than nothing and someone who is due to retire in the not to distant future may well be interested in trying something different for the latter part of their career without the need to protect their future options. I suppose the job may also suit somebody who would like to become a tory politician in the future as there is a reasonable chance that someone who successfully does the role for a few years would be nominated for the lords as part of the PMs resignation list.

Every man has his price, as they say.
There is a crossover between journalism, public relations, and politics as professions, so we could be in for a surprise. Quite honestly, with what's been happening over the last 5 years, anything is possible!

Newer posts