TV Home Forum

Good Morning Britain in 2020

Split from Good Morning Britain (January 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VA
valley
I’m sure on a Piers day it would have turned into a horrible berating of Lord Grade for his views, but I think he makes a good point, the only people complaining about them not appearing on the show are the hosts and producers of the programme, the public can get government views elsewhere.

Lord Grade is absolutely right. If GMB was the only programme on offer, then there would be every right to complain. But it isn't, and there are two other programmes on at the same time each day which ministers sometimes appear on.
It would be great to have ministers on GMB and it's an unfortunate situation for ITV, but I don't really see many complaints outside of the Twitter bubble. Nobody is forcing viewers to watch GMB - if they want a government view, then they can tune in to Breakfast or Kay Burley...
AD
adamiow
I find it bizarre that they would ask that question - I am not sure if the aim was to gain support or to try and get a nice headline..."Ex BBC and ITV boss slams Government for GMB boycott"

Lord Grade is completely right. It is a bit like having an aggressive dog in your garden - after a certain number of times being bit, the postmen and women just won't want to come anymore. Either calm your dog down or get rid of it!
BR
Brekkie
They are also boycotting Today, Newsnight and C4 News. I assume they may have been appearing on 5 Live Breakfast as I've not read otherwise. I think it is quite wrong to spin this back on to the viewers.
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
They are also boycotting Today, Newsnight and C4 News. I assume they may have been appearing on 5 Live Breakfast as I've not read otherwise. I think it is quite wrong to spin this back on to the viewers.

Not really boycotting Today, Matt Hancock was on Tuesday and George Eustice was on Friday
BR
Brekkie
OK, think that may have changed recently then as they were boycotting them at one point. Boycotting GMB due to Piers though is short sighted - it's usually Piers that comes off looking worse anyway.
AA
Aaron_2015
Now that they’ve gone back to having a chat at the start of the show, I think they could do with the half hour of news returning (particularly on Piers’ days). If they don’t want to have an additional presenter in the studio, Susanna could present the first half an hour. I think, however, the program works better with a newsreader, even if it would mean having Charlotte/Ranvir at the small desk somewhere in the studio. Social distancing is probably here to stay for a while yet, so it seems like there’ll be no newsreader position for a while yet if space at the desk is the main concern.

Will be interesting to see what happens over the summer, it can’t be too long until Piers and Susanna were due to go on their summer break. I assume Lorraine will be taking some time off at least, I don’t think she took May off did she? They could always do 6-7 with Sean, then 7-10 with Ben/Charlotte/Ranvir if they didn’t want to do GMB with Christine.
WL
W1LL

Indeed. It’s just flippant to suggest viewers can get government views elsewhere. It’s just the government avoiding any true accountability and risks setting a dangerous precedent that if a programme challenges a minister too hard they risk being added to the boycott list.
far, LondonViewer and Brekkie gave kudos
JO
Jonwo
The odd thing about the boycott is that we've had Priti Patel on Lorraine just recently and many Government ministers have appeared on other ITV shows like This Morning and Peston.
Last edited by Jonwo on 3 July 2020 12:17am
CH
chris
Jonwo posted:
The odd thing about the boycott is that we've had Priti Patel on Lorraine just recently and many Government minister have appeared on other ITV shows like This Morning and Peston.

And ITV News. It’s not an ITV boycott, it’s a GMB boycott.
SO
Soupnzi
I find it bizarre that they would ask that question - I am not sure if the aim was to gain support or to try and get a nice headline..."Ex BBC and ITV boss slams Government for GMB boycott"

Lord Grade is completely right. It is a bit like having an aggressive dog in your garden - after a certain number of times being bit, the postmen and women just won't want to come anymore. Either calm your dog down or get rid of it!

They were absolutely trying to get a headline...but not the one Lord Grade gave them! He’s completely correct of course.

It’s unfortunate and not great for the government to be boycotting certain viewers (though I think we’d all debate the ‘nine million’ figure Ranvir is somewhat spuriously citing there). When you think of how the likes of Gordon Brown used to cultivate the GMTV audience in his premiership (though ITV were #1 at breakfast back then).

GMB are now sounding quite pompous. Although I think Piers is energised by mentioning how many days they’ve been boycotted and actually quite likes the situation.
GM
Gary McEwan
Piers has said himself that he's 'banned' them yet the Government are boycotting it?

Which is one is it....banned or boycott? He can't have it ways and still make himself look like the victim.
Steve Williams and jason2016 gave kudos
SO
Soupnzi
Piers has said himself that he's 'banned' them yet the Government are boycotting it?

Which is one is it....banned or boycott? He can't have it ways and still make himself look like the victim.

I’d forgotten that. He went rogue and tweeted that when he was off, when the Cummings saga broke. All very silly.

Newer posts