Media Websites

YouTube Gold

ClassicTV gold on youtube

BU
buster London London
Isn’t there a trail for the second series where John Barrowman is the last person they mention, showing you how he was demoted by that point.

Yeah, it's a bit obvious:
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
I was disapointed Ratz was never mentioned on the CBBC 30th birthday programme. They did show a clip of him in the broomcupboard with Toby, for about a second, as part of a longer montage, but that was it.

When it comes to series 2 of L&K, I really want to see the April Fools day edition again, they had several April Fools features, including Terry Nutkins telling us about rabbits which grew from pods (and supposedly you could right in and get sent a pod and a factsheet on how to grow them) and John Barrowman presenting a feature on Alton Towers supposedly building an underwater ride through the like with sharks, which weren't revealed to be April Fools until the following week. They also had a feature of a man wearing a plate of cress on his head for charity, (who was actually one of my dad's "friends" and did this sort of thing all the time, which is why it stuck in my head), they mentioned some features were April Fools and some were ridiculous but true, and that was one that was actually true.
Last edited by james-2001 on 1 July 2020 1:19pm - 2 times in total
BU
buster London London

It seemed to me from what was being uploaded at that point that in early 1994 Phillipa and Ratz were the regular Sunday morning double-act, with Ratz also joining the Broom Cupboard presentation during holiday mornings and other 'bigger budget' occasions, rather than the afternoon slot.

When was he dropped, do we think? Did he carry on during the summer of 94? I know he was there for Philippa's last day, as in the video posted above.

He did carry on throughout the summer, seen here floating on a box

I imagine they had paid for a year of the software and decided not to renew coinciding with the relaunch of CBBC and the new series of Live and Kicking.
VM
VMPhil Granada North West Today
Isn’t there a trail for the second series where John Barrowman is the last person they mention, showing you how he was demoted by that point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaRLj44H-es

That’s the one, get to see the globe restarting at the same start point in that too.
IS
Inspector Sands
Playlist of UK TV channels closing down for the last time: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMyiNKM-Dz8uZUsyI-cn2-n7mN7yyn6Xc
Ghost, TVMan and Larry the Loafer gave kudos
CH
channel4squares1 Central (East) East Midlands Today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaRLj44H-es

That’s the one, get to see the globe restarting at the same start point in that too.

I wonder how long the full laserdisc lasts before it restarts from the beginning? I sure I've seen an example of this during closedown once.
IT
IndigoTucker

and John Barrowman presenting a feature on Alton Towers supposedly building an underwater ride through the like with sharks, which weren't revealed to be April Fools until the following week.

Oh my life, no one else I know remembered this. The roller coaster was to have little metal cages around the people and everyone was to wear wetsuits. For years I thought this was real, because it was repeated ages after in the afternoon CBBC.
AN
Anthony_1984

That wasn't with Ratz, he kissed the screen for some other reason. A brilliant clip, though. Of course, Andi Peters was on Live and Kicking with Ratz.

I'm pretty sure that blooper wasn't even a children's programme but some sort of showbiz magazine show he did

Here it is thanks to the topic videos feature

Early plasma screens were seemingly just a bit dangerous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrDTSLtWqws

Thank you - strange how the memory cheats, isn't it? I was convinced it was Ratz, I can see it in my mind's eye!
IS
Inspector Sands

I wonder how long the full laserdisc lasts before it restarts from the beginning? I sure I've seen an example of this during closedown once.

I'm pretty sure that it wasn't just left to restart normally, instead the director would have to recue the clip either every now and then or in the run up to a junction.
AS
Asa Admin Meridian (South East) South East Today
I'm pretty sure that it wasn't just left to restart normally, instead the director would have to recue the clip either every now and then or in the run up to a junction.

This YouTube clip mentions a little about the globe (and the '93 BBC News titles). Seems like there was up to 24 minutes possible on one laserdisc?

And there's a great little story here...

PT
Put The Telly On (previously nok32uk) Meridian (South East) South East Today
Of course, John Barrowman was the third host in the first series, but he's since said that the production team weren't especially interested in having three hosts and they struggled to find stuff the three of them could do together without one of them being a bit of a third wheel, but seemingly it was suggested from above as a way to differentiate it from Going Live.

I think also, John was also too occupied with his theatre work so they often had to go live to where he was performing that week. I think this helped in the decision that he wasn't needed.
youtube.com/putthetellyon1
SP
Steve in Pudsey Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)

For the second series, wasn't he presenting the pre-recorded Electric Circus entertainment news feature rather than presenting live in the studio?
Write that down in your copybook now.

Newer posts