The Newsroom

BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards

From Monday 15th July 2019 (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BF
BFGArmy
Not sure I particularly get the comment too that there’s ‘nothing to the bulletin’ when Sophie or Fiona are presenting. It’d most likely be the same reports as if it were George, Clive, Huw or anybody else and the links into reports don’t hugely differ in tone between presenters when it comes to the flagship bulletins.

It’s not say as if they’re putting Aaron Heslehurst on the bulletins going ‘good on ya Orla’ after an Orla Guerin report.
NE
Newsroom
I truly believe Christian will join the pool of network presenters in the not too distant future.
CM
cmthwtv
AlexS posted:
I'm beginning to think many on this site consider the existence of a personality and an ability to have a joke make someone inappropriate for the flagship bulletins. Simon, Martine and Christian are all in my opinion considerably better at structured than some of the people you consider to be outstanding at them (and those people are all more than capable themselves), but obviously do not show as much personality during bulletins as they would on the channel as the tighter timings don't allow for it.

.......... I do hate admitting this sometimes as it’s silly, but I don’t watch the Six or Ten when Fiona or Sophie are on. There’s nothing to the bulletin when they are presenting in my opinion...........

Once upon a time, I also used to make comments like that on this forum. And then, frankly, I grew up. Especially after one well-known news broadcaster contacted me privately - and politely - to remind me of the words of the late and great Sir Alastair Burnet, who said "its the news itself that's the star. We are just privileged to be able to tell it to the people at home every day".

So, you don't watch the news when Sophie and Fiona are on? Their appearance - albeit a crucial one - is to link the stories together and introduce news reports from award-winning news correspondents out in the field, sometimes risking life and limb to keep us informed. It's a shame you'll miss out on their excellent journalism for having to put-up with a collective 3.5 minutes of Sophie or Fiona speaking. The other 24 minutes of the bulletin is why the programme exists in the first place.

For the record, there are a few news presenters who's style I don't like too much (not Sophie or Fiona by the way), but I no longer switch-off the news because that person happens to be presenting. That would be doing a dis-service to the correspondents sweating in the field.

But, as I said at the open, I see where you are coming from because I was once that guy posting the same comments here on these very boards.

Until that 'awakening', which made me feel like a total pr!ck.

We're all entitled to an opinion, as you correctly state. I respect yours, but, with utmost politeness, I don't agree with it.

(It's also worth remembering that both Christian Fraser and Simon McCoy are also time-served correspondents in the field. Christian was Europe and Paris correspondent for quite some time; Simon covered the Gulf War from the field during his time at Sky News. I agree, they're both excellent at rolling news presentation. And, believe it or not, Christian is far better known globally for his international reach than Huw Edwards will ever be. That's as much to do with circumstances than his ability or suitability to do the "nationals").

Thinking about it, you’re right, and it was just a silly little comment.

I do apologise...
JamesWorldNews and Newsroom gave kudos
JW
JamesWorldNews
No need to apologize! We’re all news fanatics here. Different things float our boats. 👍👍👍
BFGArmy, Newsroom and cmthwtv gave kudos
LE
lesmauresfr
I truly believe Christian will join the pool of network presenters in the not too distant future.

So do I.
CM
cmthwtv
Christ. The One just started at the desk after the titles. Not at the catwalk. And not onto the plasma screen either.
RN
Rolling News

I’m surprised he hasn’t already. He did a set of Saturday evening bulletins in December 2017 but has never done any more since. I hope that’s personal choice due to him preferring rolling news and not finding nationals challenging enough, than the bigwigs not rating him.
JW
JamesWorldNews
I guess because the Nationals already has a sufficient talent pool.

Christian is seen as the Principle Anchor at World News, somewhat taking the mantle previously held by Zeinab Badawi and Nik Gowing before that.

He’s the “go to” anchor for all manner of live, global events.

Granted Clive and Ben appear on location when there’s a simulcast, but Christian is the main presenter and location presenter at World.

I can’t see him being moved to network too soon.
SW
Steve Williams
Not sure I particularly get the comment too that there’s ‘nothing to the bulletin’ when Sophie or Fiona are presenting. It’d most likely be the same reports as if it were George, Clive, Huw or anybody else and the links into reports don’t hugely differ in tone between presenters when it comes to the flagship bulletins.

When John Humphrys was doing the Nine in the eighties, he said that if after the programme, people had forgotten who read it but remembered what the news was, he'd done his job.
JamesWorldNews and thegeek gave kudos
CM
cmthwtv
Camera error at 4pm.. Jane forgot to go to the catwalk (or someone who put the codes in for the camera did it wrong)

Edit: Here’s the clip.. Sorry it’s upside down..

Rolling News and Newsroom gave kudos
NE
Newsroom
She clearly says - 'I did ask' to the director. Very funny.

RN
Rolling News
You can hear Jane say "I asked" suggesting someone told her to remain seated when she should have been on the catwalk. Didn't sound best pleased!
AndrewPSSP and SuperSajuuk gave kudos

Newer posts