BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards

From Monday 15th July 2019 (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DB
dbl
BBC News must be trained in this by now, nice touch from Christian. Laughing
GE
thegeek Founding member
I thought it was handled really well - both in giving the guest the opportunity to end if she needed to but also saying hello to the daughter. Sky had a similar interruption a little later and abruptly cut away.
RN
Rolling News
I liked how Christian introduced himself to the daughter and then the daughter adorably tried to say Christian’s name but couldn’t. 🙂
CM
cmthwtv
I think Christian should now lead a BBC training programme on how to deal with such incident.

I think he deserves to go on network now Wink
RN
Rolling News
I think Christian should now lead a BBC training programme on how to deal with such incident.

I’m surprised Christian hasn’t done any main network bulletins apart from one set of Saturday night bulletins in December 2017. I would have thought he would have covered maybe the Six on at least 1 occasion by now.
CM
cmthwtv

I’m surprised Christian hasn’t done any main network bulletins apart from one set of Saturday night bulletins in December 2017. I would have thought he would have covered maybe the Six on at least 1 occasion by now.

To be fair, he’s probably better at rolling. Of course, I’m not there to make that judgement, but because he is so good at rolling news (particularly during the brexit process - when he appeared I listened) I think he should carry on with that.

Plus, there’s more than enough presenters for the 6 and 10 team as it is. I could see him on the One.

I have stepped to far. Sorry. No more fantasising.
RN
Rolling News

To be fair, he’s probably better at rolling. Of course, I’m not there to make that judgement, but because he is so good at rolling news (particularly during the brexit process - when he appeared I listened) I think he should carry on with that.

Plus, there’s more than enough presenters for the 6 and 10 team as it is. I could see him on the One.

I’m not saying he should be a regular cover like Clive Myrie, just maybe use him on one off appearances as holiday cover. Then if a vacancy comes up in the future which he wishes to apply for at least they will have already tested him out.

I agree maybe his strengths do lie in rolling news. Same as Martine Croxall.
AS
AlexS

I strongly suspect the reason for that is nothing to do with his ability or a desire to stick to rolling news.
CM
cmthwtv

I’m not saying he should be a regular cover like Clive Myrie, just maybe use him on one off appearances as holiday cover. Then if a vacancy comes up in the future which he wishes to apply for at least they will have already tested him out.

Simon, Martine and Christian are, in my opinion, the best in rolling.

Huw, George and Mishal are, in my opinion, the best in bulletins.

Clive, Reeta, Ben and Jane are, in my opinion, outstanding at both.
AS
AlexS

I'm beginning to think many on this site consider the existence of a personality and an ability to have a joke make someone inappropriate for the flagship bulletins. Simon, Martine and Christian are all in my opinion considerably better at structured than some of the people you consider to be outstanding at them (and those people are all more than capable themselves), but obviously do not show as much personality during bulletins as they would on the channel as the tighter timings don't allow for it.
CM
cmthwtv
Deleted - rather pointless and silly post.
Last edited by cmthwtv on 2 July 2020 5:38pm
JW
JamesWorldNews
AlexS posted:

I'm beginning to think many on this site consider the existence of a personality and an ability to have a joke make someone inappropriate for the flagship bulletins. Simon, Martine and Christian are all in my opinion considerably better at structured than some of the people you consider to be outstanding at them (and those people are all more than capable themselves), but obviously do not show as much personality during bulletins as they would on the channel as the tighter timings don't allow for it.

.......... I do hate admitting this sometimes as it’s silly, but I don’t watch the Six or Ten when Fiona or Sophie are on. There’s nothing to the bulletin when they are presenting in my opinion...........

Once upon a time, I also used to make comments like that on this forum. And then, frankly, I grew up. Especially after one well-known news broadcaster contacted me privately - and politely - to remind me of the words of the late and great Sir Alastair Burnet, who said "its the news itself that's the star. We are just privileged to be able to tell it to the people at home every day".

So, you don't watch the news when Sophie and Fiona are on? Their appearance - albeit a crucial one - is to link the stories together and introduce news reports from award-winning news correspondents out in the field, sometimes risking life and limb to keep us informed. It's a shame you'll miss out on their excellent journalism for having to put-up with a collective 3.5 minutes of Sophie or Fiona speaking. The other 24 minutes of the bulletin is why the programme exists in the first place.

For the record, there are a few news presenters who's style I don't like too much (not Sophie or Fiona by the way), but I no longer switch-off the news because that person happens to be presenting. That would be doing a dis-service to the correspondents sweating in the field.

But, as I said at the open, I see where you are coming from because I was once that guy posting the same comments here on these very boards.

Until that 'awakening', which made me feel like a total pr!ck.

We're all entitled to an opinion, as you correctly state. I respect yours, but, with utmost politeness, I don't agree with it.

(It's also worth remembering that both Christian Fraser and Simon McCoy are also time-served correspondents in the field. Christian was Europe and Paris correspondent for quite some time; Simon covered the Gulf War from the field during his time at Sky News. I agree, they're both excellent at rolling news presentation. And, believe it or not, Christian is far better known globally for his international reach than Huw Edwards will ever be. That's as much to do with circumstances than his ability or suitability to do the "nationals").

Newer posts