The Newsroom

The Sky News Thread

(October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NE
News96
Twice in the space of half an hour! (as this has also happened on the side not half an hour before this one)
VA
valley
Twice in the space of half an hour! (as this has also happened on the side not half an hour before this one)

Just saw that one being tweeted about. Here's Sky...

SO
southern_boy

I'm not sure if it's an unfair comparison, but watching the two videos side-by-side, it's noticeable how much better (or possibly warmly) Christian handled the situation than Mark.
DV
DVB Cornwall
On Twitter Mark Austin seemingly inferred that he was being rushed with the next item being queued. Hence the rapid conclusion to this segment of the programme.
VA
valley
I'm not sure if it's an unfair comparison, but watching the two videos side-by-side, it's noticeable how much better (or possibly warmly) Christian handled the situation than Mark.

Yeah, I kind of get what you mean. I get why Sky moved on though: the News Hour is quite a pacey show with a lot of content, less time to hang around really.

Also, I think on the Beeb it was a guest contributor rather than a staff correspondent? It's easier to go back to someone in your organisation later on in the hour or the next hour than it is to go back to a guest.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Both the director and Mark seemed a bit miserable cutting away and moving on so rapidly
AA
aaron_scotland
Did they not perhaps cut away quickly incase she didn't want her child broadcast on TV?
BF
BFGArmy

There may well be a reason Sky/Mark handled it the way they did but have to say as a general point I do find Mark's presenting to be a bit 'cold' at times and that he's more suited to the bulletin he's used to do at ITV than rolling news like he does at Sky.
Meridian AM, TheTravelcard and Soupnzi gave kudos
VA
valley
There is a bit of precedent with Deborah...
RH
richard h

Saw this live at the time and it brought a smile to my face. It seems the view on Twitter and here however is that Mark Austin was a miserable grump so I'm going to break that echo chamber and say to me he did nothing wrong. He was simply pointing out that these things happen when they have to do reporting from home during a lockdown and he also said it with a very small smile and a laugh (I did not see it in any way as a dig at Deborah or women as some suggest) its quite possible that the slot for that interview in the running order was almost up too and so they didn't have time to wait for the biscuit tin to be opened for her to resume

For those that want to know Deborah's son got 2 chocolate digestives out of the negotiation Razz
RH
richard h

There may well be a reason Sky/Mark handled it the way they did but have to say as a general point I do find Mark's presenting to be a bit 'cold' at times and that he's more suited to the bulletin he's used to do at ITV than rolling news like he does at Sky.

I agree with the last bit he did seem more professional on ITV News with a rehearsed script. One bug bear for me is when he add libs and every other word is errr.
RH
richard h
Not sure if itโ€™s been posted here yet, but Sky News have won some awards for the Brexit Election.

Well deserved. some of the best presentation I've seen from Sky News. What a shame it was only for 1 day
Jeffmister, valley and Mouseboy33 gave kudos

Newer posts