The Newsroom

BBC News (UK) presentation - Reith launch onwards

From Monday 15th July 2019 (July 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DE
deejay
They are dropped on World when the back half is longer than normal (Panorama and Dateline London are the usual culprits). They are also occasionally dropped on World at the moment when joint output half hours mean including one is tricky timing wise for news channel.
FC
FrancesC
The thing is, it’s all a bit odd. You’ve got a senior NC/BBC One presenter, in the World studio with world background, with world titles, using the catwalk at the TOTH.

I’m not complaining. I like change every now and again.

I think Sunday’s 0900 – 1100 slot is now produced by the World editorial team rather than NC’s?
And sometimes there is a World style BOTH summary during a News Channel & World simulcast despite the strand is from Studio E instead of C…

What's the difference between a World style BOTH summary and a News Channel version?

World summary is with a World sting and music, and there’s no headline bed. The NC version uses its own music and headline bed. Although it’s from Studio E, the duty NC presenter still says ‘This is BBC World News’ instead of ‘This is BBC News’.

Not seen a World style BOTH from studio E. I have always seen the newsroom pan BOTH when in E. All BOTH from C have been with the short world sting.

I have never seen that from E in the daytime before the pandemic either… I am wondering that it’s produced by the News Channel team in a World style or the whole strand is a World presentation… NC title & music, NC presenter, but with a World BOTH… Just a little bit odd.
CM
cmthwtv
They still have that “You’re watching BBC News” awkward pause “Now the weather with x”

Do I really care that much as to who’s doing the weather that you have to let me know and have an awkward pause?

I quite like worlds presentation. I’m tempted to say prefer, but that’s probably just because it’s different to what I’m used to.
JW
JamesWorldNews
We know the awkward opt is for us to opt out, as we have a different weather bulletin from the one you have in the UK. But, you’re right. They could just end the bulletin cleanly for both and then we go to our respective weather. (There’s probably a highly technical reason why we can’t).

Having said that, if it was changed to be as I’ve suggested above, we’ll just make someone else unhappy whilst pleasing you. Lol.

We can’t win! 😜
WO
Worzel
Another camera cock up at the 3pm top of hour with Tim standing at the screens and the camera pointing at an empty chair.
Last edited by Worzel on 28 June 2020 6:00pm
MA
Meridian AM
I quite like worlds presentation. I’m tempted to say prefer, but that’s probably just because it’s different to what I’m used to.

Yes, overall I prefer World's presentation.
I watch BBC World quite a bit on the Airing app.
However, both BBC News channels are very bland.

I still enjoy CNN International the most, particularly the presentation from the new London set. Though I wish they'd change these oversized lower thirds that they have had since 2014!
FC
FrancesC
Clive Myrie presenting live from the front of NBH... or not....

This time it goes black…
Last edited by FrancesC on 2 July 2020 2:05pm
tellywatcher, paul_hadley and cmthwtv gave kudos
MI
m_in_m
We know the awkward opt is for us to opt out, as we have a different weather bulletin from the one you have in the UK. But, you’re right. They could just end the bulletin cleanly for both and then we go to our respective weather. (There’s probably a highly technical reason why we can’t).

Having said that, if it was changed to be as I’ve suggested above, we’ll just make someone else unhappy whilst pleasing you. Lol.

We can’t win! 😜

Isn't the difference that the weather bulletin lengths may differ and World may have advertising after the weather which the news channel won't so potentially the news channel has to drop a short story at the end of the bulletin.
AL
ALV
Why can’t they just bring the overnight format to daytime when NC is simulcasting with World? I think it works very well for both channels. A shorter headline sequence at the start, no awkward pauses at :27 to the weather...

And if the NC decides to go to filler programmings at the BOTH, the presenter can introduce by saying “Now on BBC News, it’s time for XXX” after the headline summary sting, just like the overnights; if the NC decides to carry on with news at BOTH, the presenter can say “Now locally here in the UK...” after the headline summary sting, then carry on with the news until :57 to weather. It’s plain and simple! The Vizrt templates is already set up across studios A to E.
MA
Meridian AM
ALV posted:
Why can’t they just bring the overnight format to daytime when NC is simulcasting with World? I think it works very well for both channels. A shorter headline sequence at the start, no awkward pauses at :27 to the weather...

And if the NC decides to go to filler programmings at the BOTH, the presenter can introduce by saying “Now on BBC News, it’s time for XXX” after the headline summary sting, just like the overnights; if the NC decides to carry on with news at BOTH, the presenter can say “Now locally here in the UK...” after the headline summary sting, then carry on with the news until :57 to weather. It’s plain and simple! The Vizrt templates is already set up across studios A to E.

When CNN US and CNN International are simulcasting, they usually say something like: ''Coming up now for our international viewers it is 'Amanpour'. For viewers here in the US 'New Day' continues.'' Then International will immediately opt out after they say that.
CM
cmthwtv
I really didn't want to have to bring this up for the 50,000th time but these hour long headline sequences on the 1,6 and 10 are doing my head in. Do I really need to find out someones reaction to the Prime Ministers announcement in the headlines? Are most viewers really unaware that you'll "be asking what this means, how it will work and how long I can carry on talking about it for. Also on the programme"

Just hit me with the headlines please.
I don't care what Bob from Bristol thinks, especially in the headlines.
I tend to expect a news programme to analyse this, so you don't need to tell me what you are doing.

Rant over. Sorry.
CH
chris
I really didn't want to have to bring this up for the 50,000th time but these hour long headline sequences on the 1,6 and 10 are doing my head in. Do I really need to find out someones reaction to the Prime Ministers announcement in the headlines? Are most viewers really unaware that you'll "be asking what this means, how it will work and how long I can carry on talking about it for. Also on the programme"

Just hit me with the headlines please.
I don't care what Bob from Bristol thinks, especially in the headlines.
I tend to expect a news programme to analyse this, so you don't need to tell me what you are doing.

Rant over. Sorry.

I find it very annoying, particularly if the SOT used in the headlines is repeated just two minutes later in the first package.

We have this conversation a lot but I wonder if there are any BBC insiders on here who could actually shed light on the reasons for such long headline sequences. Is there evidence that audiences like them, even if TV Forum doesn’t? Or people are more likely to keep watching?

Newer posts