TV Home Forum

Emmerdale

Weekdays on ITV (June 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Certainly quite a few obvious examples of the camera filming zoomed in to make people look closer together than they really are. I imagine social distancing reducing to 1m at the end of the week will make it less obvious, though it will be weeks until we see that on screen.

Isn't it only 1m though if PPE or screens are involved, or possibly side by side so you could have two people on a couch never looking at each other.
AN
Andrew Founding member
In any case I would expect TV companies to be interpret the rules on the cautious side, just like we’ve seen in the behind the scenes videos where it seems there is lots of measures put in place and hand sanitizer practically every 2 metres down the corridor. They wouldn’t want to relax too much and end up with an actor testing positive.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
How about if they lock off the camera, take a shot of the empty sofa then put up a screen down the middle for the take. Then use the first shot to "paint out" the screen.

They used to do that technique 30 years ago to take out things like the boom straying into shot. I'm sure they could do something more sophisticated now.
BR
Brekkie
Hollyoaks will be interesting as unlike the other soaps they use a single camera filming technique, which in my mind probably enables them to edit in a way which will make people look closer together.

Has any of the Neighbours content made it to screen yet considering they have such a lead time?
FL
Flux
Hollyoaks will be interesting as unlike the other soaps they use a single camera filming technique, which in my mind probably enables them to edit in a way which will make people look closer together.

This will be possible even with multiple cameras, as long as shots are mainly closeup. It's all in the choice of lens and how it interprets depth.

I'm expecting to see very few wide shots when a lot of the soaps return - apart from maybe a first establishing shot done cleverly (like Steve mentioned above) so we know where characters are in relation to each other. You can fake a lot more in close-ups. I'm also anticipating a lot of scenes where characters are naturally locked in a position which means they're safely apart but it doesn't look unnatural (e.g. sitting eating dinner on separate sides of a wide dinner table!)
JE
Jez Founding member

Has any of the Neighbours content made it to screen yet considering they have such a lead time?

I don't think so as Neighbours is filmed months in advance plus apparently we are three weeks behind where we should be due to them reducing the screenings to 2 or 3 times a week for several weeks.
SL
Shaun Linden
I caught Neighbours for the first time yesterday in a while and it looked really different, film wise. Is it filmed in 4K?
BR
Brekkie
I doubt it. It only gets screened in SD in Australia.
SL
Shaun Linden
Well there's definitely some effect on the recording. At times it makes it feel like they are in a green screen studio.
MU
Multi
Well there's definitely some effect on the recording. At times it makes it feel like they are in a green screen studio.

That’s because a lot of the time they are.
PE
peterh
Not quite yet for neighbours AUSTRALIAs eps are currently filmed Feb
CO
cobbles
Multi posted:

That’s because a lot of the time they are.

Seems a bit weird to film a soap in a green screen studio?

Newer posts