TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WI
william Founding member
Anyone know if any foreign broadcasters have anyone on site at Wimbledon?
I was looking at the ESPN online schedules and they don't seem to have any replays.
CO
cobbles
Potential problem for the PL ... Leicester are due to play at home on Saturday, the city being placed into local lockdown this evening.

Matt Hancock this morning, when asked by Niall Paterson on Sky, said Leicester v Crystal Palace would be going ahead.

Seems there is racing going ahead tonight as well. Once again it's one rule for the elite, one rule for the public.

Not the case. Sport has been permitted behind closed doors since 1st June. It's the restrictions that were relaxed on 15th being reversed.
Steve Williams and thegeek gave kudos
VA
valley
Anyone know if any foreign broadcasters have anyone on site at Wimbledon?
I was looking at the ESPN online schedules and they don't seem to have any replays.

From what I’ve seen it’s only the BBC (with Arena) who are on site doing anything major.
BR
Brekkie
Well ESPN were not going to fly people over to cover an event not happening. I'm guessing Amazon won't be able to fly anyone out to cover the US Open so will have to present from a UK base.
DV
dvboy
Well ESPN were not going to fly people over to cover an event not happening. I'm guessing Amazon won't be able to fly anyone out to cover the US Open so will have to present from a UK base.

I think they will send some out but will be more reliant on world feeds and pooled interviews.
TL
toby lerone 2016
FA Cup Semi Finals TV Coverage

Saturday 18th July
Arsenal v Manchester City
Kick Off: 7.45pm
Live on BT Sport 1

Sunday19th July
Manchester United v Chelsea
Kick Off: 6.00pm
Live on BBC One

Also BBC Sport have announced their plans for Olympics Rewind
Tuesday 14th July - Thursday 16th July
Beijing 2008 (BBC Two)

Friday 17th July
London 2012 Torch Relay (BBC Two)
London 2012 Opening Ceremony Directors Cut (BBC One)

Saturday 18th July-Sunday 19th July
London 2012 Rewind (BBC One)

Monday 20th July-Friday 25th July
Rio 2016 (BBC Two)

Saturday 26th July
Britain's Great Olympic Moments (BBC One)
JO
Jon
There was a bit of a jarring moment on ITV Racing on Saturday when a tribute to the jockey Liam Treadwell, telling viewers the importance to talk about their mental health problems was followed by a Coral sponsorship sting.

This news story has just reminded me of it. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8481115/amp/A-gambling-suicide-day-Shocking-report-finds-2m-families-blighted-problem-gambling.html
CO
cobbles
Jon posted:
There was a bit of a jarring moment on ITV Racing on Saturday when a tribute to the jockey Liam Treadwell, telling viewers the importance to talk about their mental health problems was followed by a Coral sponsorship sting.

This news story has just reminded me of it. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8481115/amp/A-gambling-suicide-day-Shocking-report-finds-2m-families-blighted-problem-gambling.html

There's a lot of god things in that report, it's shame they've lumbered banning loot boxes in with a load of pragmatic reforms
AN
Andrew Founding member
It's interesting to see all the different designs of on screen scores over the years on the Wimbledon highlights

Go back far enough and the scores used to just appear on screen after every point

Go back further and there didn't seem to be scores on screen at all, you just had to glimpse the scoreboard on Centre Court
JA
james-2001
It's interesting to see all the different designs of on screen scores over the years on the Wimbledon highlights

Go back far enough and the scores used to just appear on screen after every point

I think it was like that until around 2000! I think 2001 was the first year with a permanent on-screen scoreboard (also the first year in 16:9 IIRC).

Edit: Seems Wimbledon 2000 did have an on-screen scoreboard, but it's only there on wide shots

It's not there in 1999, so 2000 must be the first year of it:
Last edited by james-2001 on 2 July 2020 4:00pm - 2 times in total
BR
Brekkie
It's been so nice hearing Barry Davies again on some of the classic football and tennis coverage - he doesn't seem to get the legendary status he deserves.

Also regarding the BBC Olympic highlights - a bit of shame they're only going back as far as Beijing although maybe the Top 25 moments will catch the notable moments of earlier games.
VA
valley
NBC have taken over the USGA rights from FOX Sports, seemingly by mutual agreement due to scheduling problems.
https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/articles/2020/06/nbc-universal-usga-championships-media-broadcast-rights-agreement.html?

Newer posts