The Newsroom

ITN Nostalgia

ITN and ITV News Memories

NE
Newsroom
I have a question about the ITN World News. Was there ever any consistency as to who presented the bulletin, or was it just one of the newscasters on duty that day?

Here's a version with Julia Somerville whom I don't recall presenting it back in the day.

IT
itsrobert Founding member Granada North West Today
Well around that time period I have seen examples presented by Julia Somerville, Alastair Stewart and Trevor McDonald. Didn't it go out at 2200 CET? I'm not sure if it was live or recorded as live, though. Either way, I guess it could have been the News at Ten co-presenter? That's just a guess, though. I know it was taped because it used to be replayed as part of the Morning News.

A little later than that, from about 1993/94 I think it had some dedicated presenters again. I've seen examples with Guy de Faye, Richard Lindley, Selina Scott and others. By 1995 I think it had settled down to Katy Haswell most of the time before Daljit Dhaliwal took it over in its later years. And, of course, John Suchet kicked it off in 1987 as "Super Channel News".
JW
JamesWorldNews STV Central World News
For those of you missing Newsknight.........

Moira, John Suchet and, now, Sir Trevor at Classic FM! Lock that dial.
@JamesWorldNews | #StayHomeSaveLives
Ben Shatliff, chevron and watchingtv gave kudos
JW
The Raoul Moat story: some interesting tweets popping up on my timeline. Obviously I didn’t see the documentary, but fascinating to read that Moat was only a few steps away whilst Alastair was presenting News at Ten on location:

JW

Stuart, Brekkie and Ghost gave kudos
ST
Stuart West Country (West) Spotlight
I wonder how many versions of the title sequence they had made? I don't imagine that changing the time on the clock was something that they could do 'on the hoof'.
VM
VMPhil Granada North West Today
I thought it was computer generated on the fly, which is why the time was always accurate.
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
You could probably get away with three really to cover up to 15 minutes late. Stick with it on the hour for just a few minutes late, then the one above for between 5-12 minutes late or so and then one at quarter past - although as this was pre-Champions League I think it was before News at Ten would regularly start at 10.15 on a Wednesday.

Far better than what they did when the Late News started when News at Ten and just blanked out the face.
Stay Local. Stay Safe. Stay Alive.
SW
Steve Williams
I thought it was computer generated on the fly, which is why the time was always accurate.

They were including other times in the titles before it was computer generated - here's the News at Ten Thirteen from 1981.

Actually in the early eighties News at Ten would quite frequently not start at ten, and not just after Party Political Broadcasts (which was the case here). I've got quite a few TV Times from the early eighties where it would start at 10.15 or so one night of the week if there was a long film on before it. And sometimes it would even start at nine or 9.30 if they wanted to show a long programme after the watershed and didn't want to split it in two parts. In one of the TV Times I've got someone writes in to complain about it.

In one of the other threads there's a bit of discussion about News at When, but it depends why it's being delayed, doesn't it? As I said there, you can justify it being a few minutes late, or indeed several minutes late if it follows something like the Brits or NTAs. Of course next Thursday it's on at eleven because of the Stephen Lawrence drama, which I think is perfectly acceptable as it's making way for some obvious PSB programming, and it makes sense to show something like that in one go, and starting before the watershed is clearly out of the question (of course on its original broadcast in February 1999, just before the end of the first era of News at Ten, it was actually shown in two parts around the news). I think the viewers can understand the news being delayed in those circumstances. What they don't understand is the news being delayed for a Harry Potter film or some LE show, just for the sake of it.
UKnews, bilky asko and Ghost gave kudos
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
Didn't realise that was a 21 year old drama being repeated next week.
Stay Local. Stay Safe. Stay Alive.
JO
Jonwo (previously Jonwo87)
Didn't realise that was a 21 year old drama being repeated next week.

As worthy as it to have both shows, I suspect it's going to rate very badly.
JK
JKDerry UTV Newsline

The clock face was able to produce the correct time of broadcast in the 1988 to 1992 era as far as I know - I think I remember an article where Alastair Burnet was interviewed about the new look of News at Ten in 1988 and the clock was mentioned. I only wish I had the interview to make sure.

Newer posts