Media Websites

YouTube Gold

ClassicTV gold on youtube

IS
Inspector Sands
There was, I recall, quite a famous blooper clip of Andi Peters burning his lips on the monitor when giving him a kiss on CBBC?

That wasn't with Ratz, he kissed the screen for some other reason. A brilliant clip, though. Of course, Andi Peters was on Live and Kicking with Ratz.

I'm pretty sure that blooper wasn't even a children's programme but some sort of showbiz magazine show he did
BU
buster London London
Which likely was a hoot at a trade show, but debatable if it really worked as a co-presenter on TV. Some sites claim Ratz had a habit of breaking down, but I've not seen any unearthed clips showing that actually happening? The main issue is that Ratz can't really mess about or create antics in the studio like Edd or Gordon, or really interact outside talking with a co-presenter or responding to viewer calls and letters. Phillipa seems to be the only presenter who would get rota'd with Ratz too, I don't know if that's intentional - or everyone else just didn't like presenting with a disembodied cat head they might not always be able to see.

Until now I think I was always under the impression that Ratz didn't start appearing on CBBC until the end of the series of Live and Kicking, to get their money's worth out of him, so it's a bit of a surprise to see him during its run. I think you're exactly right - you really want a puppet to cause chaos and get in guests' faces, which wasn't going to be the case here.

That's no slight on Paul Brophy who voiced him, because he was very quick-witted and, as illustrated elsewhere, playing characters on Fully Booked and co-writing and appearing in Trevor and Simon's sketches, he was a very funny performer. I assumed they ended up pairing him with Flipper because she was the person who worked the best with him and generated the best relationship.

Toby was paired with Ratz when he did weekday afternoons in the school holidays...this was pretty rubbish in the broom cupboard as initially he was stuck on the monitor at the back so Toby had to keep turning around to talk to him:

(which was later made much bigger so you could see him properly) but later they managed to superimpose him on a cushion on the continuity desk in front of Toby, which worked much better.

Then of course over the summer holiday they were on the roof anyway. He did work a lot better with Flipper I thought but then I much preferred her to Toby. Even at the age of 9 I thought she was robbed for not getting the afternoon gig when Andi left.

Regarding breakdowns, I've seen a couple of clips where he Ratz supposed to be speaking but was silent, which is odd as you'd think that would be the one bit that didn't rely on the technology.
VM
VMPhil Granada North West Today
There was, I recall, quite a famous blooper clip of Andi Peters burning his lips on the monitor when giving him a kiss on CBBC?

That wasn't with Ratz, he kissed the screen for some other reason. A brilliant clip, though. Of course, Andi Peters was on Live and Kicking with Ratz.

I'm pretty sure that blooper wasn't even a children's programme but some sort of showbiz magazine show he did

Here it is thanks to the topic videos feature

Early plasma screens were seemingly just a bit dangerous!

JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
Paul's autobiography claims that Mike was genuinely annoyed, particularly as the red cloth made him think there was blood coming out of the box. He actually wanted to block its broadcast (sound familiar?) but was persuaded to allow it to go out in the main show, but no showings outside of that context.

Keeping his stuff off air really does seem to be a running theme with Mike, doesn't it?
LL
Larry the Loafer Granada North West Today
Was it ever established why he refused to allow his TOTP episodes to be repeated? I can understand why he wanted to try and block his bit with Paul Daniels. Was he just a bit of a control freak or something? Sorry if it's already been answered elsewhere.
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
Nobody really knows for sure. People suggest the Jimmy Savile/Yewtree thing kicked it off, but it dates back to at least 1994, when he refused to allowed UK Gold to show them.
NB
NicB1971 Central (West) Midlands Today
Presumably a library track.

that's exactly what I was thinking and also the full telethon theme is now on TVARK and also how did you know the runway theme is the same as the original theme to first report?

The Runway theme is definitely not the same as Ken Elliott's ITN First Report/News at One - a simple search will confirm this.
CB
ChipperBird Anglia (East) Look East
I dug through a bit more of Sticky Tape 'n' Rust's channel and found this interesting clip from January 1994 when the BBC tech team had elected to give Ratz a hand - literally. I don't remember him ever having one so I guess it was quickly scrapped.

MA
madmusician Central (West) Midlands Today
Here's an example of Ratz breaking down on Live and Kicking:

Whilst this is all a little before my time (I was born in 1991, and my first CBBC memories are late Studio A stuff, largely the birthday cards from the Broom Cupboard-esque self-op part of Studio A) I became quite interested in this period of CBBC around 10-11 years ago, when lots of vintage CBBC began to be uploaded to YouTube.

It seemed to me from what was being uploaded at that point that in early 1994 Phillipa and Ratz were the regular Sunday morning double-act, with Ratz also joining the Broom Cupboard presentation during holiday mornings and other 'bigger budget' occasions, rather than the afternoon slot.

When was he dropped, do we think? Did he carry on during the summer of 94? I know he was there for Philippa's last day, as in the video posted above.

And in Live and Kicking, was it literally just Andi and Emma for the 94-95 run? I know that Mitch joined the team to help ease the show along in the 95-96 run, but he really developed his 'persona' during the Zoe and Jamie years.
SW
Steve Williams
And in Live and Kicking, was it literally just Andi and Emma for the 94-95 run? I know that Mitch joined the team to help ease the show along in the 95-96 run, but he really developed his 'persona' during the Zoe and Jamie years.

I'm pretty sure Mitch appeared at the start of the 1994/95 series - they made quite a few changes at the start of that series, making it a bit more like Going Live, which was no bad thing.

Of course, John Barrowman was the third host in the first series, but he's since said that the production team weren't especially interested in having three hosts and they struggled to find stuff the three of them could do together without one of them being a bit of a third wheel, but seemingly it was suggested from above as a way to differentiate it from Going Live.
VM
VMPhil Granada North West Today
Isn’t there a trail for the second series where John Barrowman is the last person they mention, showing you how he was demoted by that point.
BU
buster London London
Mitch was definitely series 3 (95/96) - here's the start of series 3 where they introduce him:

Waters probably muddied as Mitch did loads of BBC trailers over the preceding year which is probably where they spotted him, including...Live and Kicking:

The Leprechauns joined towards the end of series 2. As they pointed out in the last show, they are notable as the longest-serving part of the format, lasting for a little over five years (just beating Mitch).

Newer posts