TV Home Forum

Davina and Rylan to front Big Brother show for E4

"Best Shows" to air this year marking 20 years of BB (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GO
gottago
Interesting how he talks about not being the best version of himself when he was host. His delivery was pretty poor, the best way I can describe it is that he read each line like he was reading a riddle. Davina was always able to give reading from an autocue real personality whereas he really struggled. They tried to make his "don't try to vote now, you're too late " into his catchphrase which always felt really lame and a bit of a sign of how little they had to work with with him. I remember he'd always go on the BOTS after the eviction and it was almost like he was relieved it was all over, champaign in hand his real personality would start to come out and he was a lot better. Maybe they should have just given him the BOTS gig but other than him there wasn't an obvious natural successor to Davina given that Emma was still fairly low profile and George Lamb arguably hadn't made much of an impact on BBLB.

It's a shame they didn't feature an Ultimate Big Brother episode as I thought that was a great series. I would have taken one of those over one of the celeb eps or the BB2 one which I found surprisingly dull.
VM
VMPhil
I was thinking I would have enjoyed the BB2 episode more if it had just been a half hour, but it was pushing it at an hour and twenty minutes.
BR
Brekkie
They didn't choose a great one - earlier eps on BB3 and BB6 had been quite well rounded focusing on all the people still in the house but this featured mainly Helen and Paul and missed the lead up to it. The episode a couple of nights earlier of the remaining six having double dates would have been better - as well as Helen and Paul that showcased Josh and Brian and Elizabeth and Dean more too and was just a bit funnier.

I agree though I'd have liked an Ultimate BB episode instead of one of the Celeb BB efforts - would have been a good way to include popular HMs not featured in the other shows.
PF
PFML84
Around half of the episodes shown for me were not "best episodes ever". I think it would have been better if they decided to show the "best situations" where an event was shown as much as possible, such as Suzie being picked, the instant hatred from some of the housemates, the poor treatment of her from some and events around that. It also would have helped give more context to casual viewers who don't remember it that much or who didn't watch at all who maybe wanted to see what all the fuss was about? I doubt there was much in those 10 episodes that would have really sold the show to them.
BR
Brekkie
It was weird how in a couple of shows they began with clips from earlier shows which added a bit of context but as you say completely missed it then. Also with the BB6 ep as great as the Room 101 task was it was strange to end the Box Task episode with that clip rather than the conclusion of the box task from the next episode.
FL
Flux
It was weird how in a couple of shows they began with clips from earlier shows which added a bit of context but as you say completely missed it then. Also with the BB6 ep as great as the Room 101 task was it was strange to end the Box Task episode with that clip rather than the conclusion of the box task from the next episode.

Ultimately, a lot of the perceived issues probably come from the fact these were done on the cheap. If a clip was easy to source/drop in, they might include it as context, but if any work was involved in researching/sourcing the broadcast quality version of anything outside the episode they were repeating they probably didn't have the resources. In normal times they might have been able to utilise a few more clips for Rylan and Davina to give context or sum up a situation before and after the full episode, but then in normal times we never would have got these shows in the first place.
JO
Josh

Looks like Endemol Shine has been acquired by Banijay, who have a new logo.
MO
Mouseboy33
According to Banijay's website, the production companies will retain their individual names. So the Endemol name will stay, though it will have a new logo with the B included.
JO
Jonwo
Does this make Banijay the first ultra-indie? They must be bigger than Fremantle and All3Media.
GO
gottago
^ Although this is the end of the Endemol brand in the UK as none of their companies here actually had it in their names any more. They were (and still are) such a power house throughout the 2000s and were probably one of the few indies that had at least some brand recognition in the UK through its eye logo and the sheer amount of press and controversies Big Brother had. Seems odd to lose that name now.
JO
Jonwo
^ Although this is the end of the Endemol brand in the UK as none of their companies here actually had it in their names any more. They were (and still are) such a power house throughout the 2000s and were probably one of the few indies that had at least some brand recognition in the UK through its eye logo and the sheer amount of press and controversies Big Brother had. Seems odd to lose that name now.

I wonder if Shine the production company will retain its name? It's incredible how it went from a single indie in the 2000s to a global behemoth.
IS
Inspector Sands
Jonwo posted:
Does this make Banijay the first ultra-indie? They must be bigger than Fremantle and All3Media.

Im not sure if the old definition of an indie still exists but if so Fremantle probably isn't one, and Endemol Shine wasn't for a while. But yeah Banjay must eclipse all the others by quite some way

Newer posts