TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
dvboy
Eurosport are showing some of their 2016 Wimbledon highlights programmes, and the presentation looks very dated for something that's only four years old.

I think 2016 was the first year Eurosport had UK rights to Wimbledon highlights and singles finals.
DV
DVB Cornwall
AZPV are offering their 4 Premier League matches for free on Twitch in addition to their usual platforms.
TI
TIGHazard
AZPV are offering their 4 Premier League matches for free on Twitch in addition to their usual platforms.

While I'm glad Amazon are making them more widely available for free without an account, I moderate a twitch channel or two and a week or so ago, a Fortnite stream with 1.5 million viewers (peak 2.3 million) slowed the site to a crawl and made the moderation tools not work. So on the other hand, I am dreading this, as I guess with worldwide viewership (due to people bypassing the region locks to watch free to air football, even it's not great teams) it will easily break that record and cause site issues.
AA
Amber Avenger

If only there was some way we could have less familiar teams in the semi-finals. Perhaps some kind of competition to decide who's in them?

The funny thing is, in recent years when we have had less familiar teams in the semis people have complained that it's also boring because the top teams aren't there or taking it seriously enough!!

Last year's semis produced one of the most entertaining semi-finals for years between two non top 6 teams.

Easy to say last year's games were great once the games have been played, so how boring this year's games might be is pure conjecture. Not sure many would say City vs Brighton and Wolves vs Watford is a more exciting line up than this year's one if you saw the fixtures but not the results. That is sport though I will concede

My point really though is that plenty of people have complained for years about the top teams not getting through to the semis and when they do, there are still complaints! Funny old game
JO
Jon
At least thee BBC have got some guaranteed games with the bigger teams to balance out a rather lacklustre line up of Premier League games. Of course the Premier League matches are only a bonus anyway but it will be noticeable to viewers they have the scraps of what is there, but they do have Manchester City in their next game I believe, not that it means much now to them.
JO
Jon
I wonder if we are to assume that games won’t be back at full capacity next season whether the Premier League might offer a package of say 12 games on a free to air basis to the highest bidder for next season. Of course it might not be that simple a could annoy the current rights holders.

Might of interest to ITV before they get FA Cup rights from the following season.
VA
valley
Jon posted:
I wonder if we are to assume that games won’t be back at full capacity next season whether the Premier League might offer a package of say 12 games on a free to air basis to the highest bidder for next season. Of course it might not be that simple a could annoy the current rights holders.

If they did, it would be a further rights refund to the existing providers.
JO
Jon
Jon posted:

If they did, it would be a further rights refund to the existing providers.

Well obviously the existing rights holders would still get extra games and the pick of the number of matches they have already have the rights too. They might feel it devalues the product though.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Make what you might of this but Mark Pougatch appears on Phil Williams' new Times Radio show as a guest later this evening.
DV
DVB Cornwall
... as for next season, the start is delayed until September on I'm hearing a staggered start, with fixtures only between clubs not involved in Europe in the first week, those not involved or in the Europa League in the second, and a full programme, bringing in the Champions League sides, on the third. If we are not back to 'normal' attendance I'd imagine a similar formula to that used for the restart being used to televise those matches that would normally not be shown. I believe that the fixture compiling has been expedited using complex programming and will be available to all parties much earlier than usual, indeed they could be out on the Monday after this season ends. The process apparently being concluded over the past weekend.

The French League is hopeful however that they will be able to start at the end of August in Full stadia, so extrapolating that scenario we could see full attendance here from mid October or November, so the fixtures involved could be quite small. Second wave permitting.
DV
DVB Cornwall
AZPV 1/4 - Crystal Palace - Burnley
Presentation Gabby Logan - Analysts Lee Dixon and Clinton Morrison - Interviews Lynsay Hooper -
Commentators - Jon Champion and Ally McCoist.

twitch link https://www.twitch.tv/primevideo?linkId=92260779
AN
Andrew Founding member
So Sue Barker is presenting, possibly live, from a balcony on the side of Court No. 1 at Wimbledon rather than being in the studio.

Although looking at how cold and windy it looks I bet they wish they were in the studio.

Newer posts