The Newsroom

Coronavirus | Television News Coverage

(February 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JF
JF World News
AlexS posted:
AlexS posted:
The BBC have more than enough people in the US to put out something, even if it'll rely on lower profile people than normal and possibly coverage from a lower than normal number of states. I'd imagine that the TV coverage would be led by Katty Kay and Jon Sopel with the radio either being handled by lower profile presenters or from the UK.

If we have a US GP couldn't they leave Jennie Gow, Lee McKenzie and Jack Nicholls out there for the elections? Who are all journalists in their own right?

If they'll let journalists in to cover some cars driving round a track they'll let them in to cover the election...

I was thinking from BBC / C4 ponit of view saves sending more people over
TI
tightrope78
The media, and the BBC in particular, seem to be obsessed with giving Professor Neil Ferguson a platform to basically say whatever he feels like! Why this obsession?

JF
JF World News
Seven Days is back next Sunday at 11pm on BBC Scotland
AA
aaron_scotland
I am curious if the local BBC English region to Leicester will consider taking Matt Hancocks announcement live this evening or just let it run in the 10pm nation news.
AN
Andrew Founding member
I am curious if the local BBC English region to Leicester will consider taking Matt Hancocks announcement live this evening or just let it run in the 10pm nation news.

BBC East Midlands could soft opt, and add a caption over BBC One pictures advising viewers to switch to the BBC News Channel or presumably BBC Radio Leicester.
AS
AlexS

BBC East Midlands could soft opt, and add a caption over BBC One pictures advising viewers to switch to the BBC News Channel or presumably BBC Radio Leicester.

Realistically they'd need to do the same on West Midlands. For whatever reason a not insignificant part of Leicester and Leicestershire has historically had aerials pointed at a west midlands receiver and a not unsubstantial number of viewers have never bothered to change them.
MA
Meridian AM
AlexS posted:

Realistically they'd need to do the same on West Midlands. For whatever reason a not insignificant part of Leicester and Leicestershire has historically had aerials pointed at a west midlands receiver and a not unsubstantial number of viewers have never bothered to change them.

But Leicestershire is not covered editorially by BBC West Midlands, as proven in tonight's '(West) Midlands Today', which did not mention it.
The city and county of Leicester are firmly in the East Midlands, politically and geographically.
'East Midlands Today' had their entire programme this evening live from Leicester.

Some parts of Leicestershire have homes with aerials pointing to receive BBC East, especially around Market Harborough. Surely 'Look East' isn't covering the Leicester lockdown, in the same way as West Midlands isn't and shouldn't.
Last edited by Meridian AM on 29 June 2020 9:19pm
AN
Andrew Founding member
Of course this announcement is going out under the heading of “Outside Source” with the headline “Coronavirus in Britain”
AA
aaron_scotland
Well I didn't see anything on the East Midlands online stream, Seems a wasted opportunity for what local news is meant to be for. I'm sure it'll be top story at the 10 though Smile
RN
Rolling News
As someone who lives in Leicester I'm annoyed with the BBC that they cut away from the House of Commons as Matt Hancock was answering questions to focus on global developments. Switched straight over to Sky News.
MA
Meridian AM
As someone who lives in Leicester I'm annoyed with the BBC that they cut away from the House of Commons as Matt Hancock was answering questions to focus on global developments. Switched straight over to Sky News.

BBC can't even spell the city's name correctly (lower thirds graphics)

RN
Rolling News

BBC can't even spell the city's name correctly (lower thirds graphics)

😠

Newer posts